Cajun Chicken Pasta- 7 pts.
Makes 6 servings
4 (5 oz.)boneless,skinless chicken breasts,cut crosswise into strips 1/4 inc. wide
1 Tbsp,plus 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning (we like Tony Chachere's)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 med. size red bell pepper, cored, seeded andcut lengthwise into strips 1/4 in.wide
6 ozs. mushroom, stemmed and thinly sliced
1/2 c. coarsely chopped yellow onion (about1 sm.onion)
2 Tbsp flour
2 med. size cloves garlic,finely minced
1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp. dried leaf basil, crumbled
1/8 tsp.black pepper
1 (12 oz.) can evap.skim milk
1 (8 oz.) package fettucine, cooked and drained
1/4 c. parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp.coarsely chopped fresh Italian (flat leaf)parsley
1. Place chicken in large bowl, add 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning, toss well and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in med. size Dutch oven over moderately high heat. Add chicken, cover and cook, stirring occasionally,until nearly done- about 5 minutes. Add red bell pepper,mushrooms and onion. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally about 5 mins. more.
3. Meanwhile, whisk together flour, remaining 1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning, garlic, lemon zest, basil, pepper and evap.skim milk.
4. Add flour to chicken, bring to quick boil over high heat,then adjust heat so mixture bubbles gently and simmer uncovered,stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens and no raw taste of starch remains. If sauce seems thick, stir in 3 to 4 Tbsp.water.
5. Dump hot drained fettucine into Dutch oven, toss well. Scatter cheese and parsley on top and serve at once.
This recipe comes from the "Good Morning America, Cut the Calories Cookbook".