avandia

• my dr just put me on avandia. has anybody else taken this medication? i really don't see that big of change in me but my dr tells me that my labwork has changed for the better. let me know your thoughts.
  • Avandia
    After I paid for it, I read all the side affects and was afraid to take it. Mainly because it said it rendered my BC pills ineffective. I DON'T want a baby, so it wasn't an option for me. I hope it works for you!!

Yvonne
  • What is this medication supposed to do for a person?
    Pat
  • Pat,

One of the problems with PCOS is usually you are insulin resistance. That means that your body makes enough insulin but does not know what to do with all of it. It is this elevated blood sugar that causes so many of the problems related to PCOS. There is the theory out amoung the medical community--which came first PCOS or being overweight. One of the reason most women with PCOS are overweight is because of this constant elevated blood sugar. An elevated blood sugar puts you into fat storage not fat burning. It also makes you want to eat more--especially carbs. In other words, PCOS sufferers are hungrier than most people. The avandia is suppose to control your blood sugar by helping your body utilize the excess insulin. Avandia is typically used in people with diabetes type 2 & is classed as an antidiabetic. However the latest research for PCOS sufferers is that avandia will help them as well. One of the consequences of long term obesity & PCOS ( they really do go hand in hand) is diabetes type 2. I have a friend who also has PCOS & diabetes type 2 but she is taking actos. Which is another medication very similiar to avandia. I hope this helps.
  • PorkEPine,

Thank you for such a thorough explanation! One of the things we were asking my Dr. was the PCOS b/c of weight or weight b/c of PCOS....I started gaining and couldn't stop about 5 years ago. I had just gotten married, quit smoking and was working a job I hated and started trying every diet on the market. (I GAINED 2 lbs. on that cabbage soup diet!)

After going to a Dr. about my inability to lose weight we discovered I had PCOS. I'm on GlucophageXR now. Does that work like these other drugs or is it different? My blood sugar is normal, but my insulin levels are through the roof.

Thanks so much!
  • Hi SolShine!

Yes glucophage is classed as an antidiabetlc & has the same effect as avandia & actos. Alot of people have problems taking glucophage because of the side effects(diarrhea-eek!) Another thing to be aware of when taking these kinds of medications is they are very difficult on your liver. Your liver goes into overtime trying to metabolize them. You might want to ask your dr about that as well. I get my liver enzymes checked every 3 mos because of that particular side effect. I can totally relate to the wt gain. Like you, this problem really reared its ugly head right after i got married. That was 8 yrs ago & I am still trying to get it under control. The more positive things are that the hair on my head as totally grown back in. I only have to go for a mustache wax once a month instead of every week. My voice is back to normal. When I was first diagnosed my voice had gotten noticeably lower. I exercise regularly & I always feel best when I work out in the morning. ( don't know why that is ) The one thing I still have not conqueored is losing wt. I lose for awhile but then get VERY discouraged when I hit a plateau. Right now I am just maintaining but still have a ways to go. I heard about this new product on the market that is really suppose to help control your blood sugar & insulin levels. It is called RiSoTriene. I am going to do some more investigating & will let you know the results I find. Let me know your thoughts.
  • Thank you for the reply and info. I will see an gyn endo this month. I hope to get more info then.
    Pat