PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 03:57 PM   #1  
Rattie Lover

Default PCOS Monthly Chat For August 2004

Hey Everyone!!!

Time to start up another monthly chat thread!!! Hope everyone is doing well and posts posts posts!!!

Type at you soon!!!
Old 08-01-2004, 07:51 PM   #2  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Hello all! I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia on Friday. I know very little about it. If there is anyone who posts on this thread with hypoglycemia, I would appreciate any information or advice you could give me. Thanks so much!
Old 08-02-2004, 07:27 PM   #3  
Rattie Lover

I'll be scarce for a bit...

I burned my right thumb really bad. Pan of boiling water fell all over it then the boiling soup fell on it too, then the PAN fell on it. Don't ask. Doc isn't sure wether it is a 1st degree or 2nd degree so right now they got it wrapped up in gauze and some of that hospital burn cream stuff and some other burn gauzey stuff. I gotta clean it 2x a day. Pfft!!

Tomorrow we'll know more as to what degree it is and where to go from here. If it starts to crack, then I have to go to the burn unit. If the blisters dont crack and stay un-popped, then I might be ok. We'll see. I am going to go take my lovely percocet pain pills now and go to bed. This pain is one of the WORSE I have ever felt...ranks up there with a kidney stone. awful awful... And it's making me nauseous and giving me a headache...something I rarely get. And I drove my self to the urgent care...There was no way hubby coulda got here in time to take me.

I'll keep ya posted.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:40 PM   #4  
Swimming Mouse

Ouch! Angel... Be CAREFUL! Take care of yourself! I'm thinking of you!

Old 08-02-2004, 11:56 PM   #5  
Rattie Lover

Well..I'm ok. I took a nice nap. I can type still thank God!! My thumb is numb now..must be good drugs. I want to open up the bandage and take a peek but the dr told me wait 24 hours. pffooey!! They said I did all of the right things right off the bat so I will be in better shape than alot of the cases they see with this type of wound. That's good to know..means all of that medical readings I've done did register in the old brain after all. I got a little basket prepared with the gauze and tape and all of that other crap they gave me to clean and change the dressing. Ewww...!! Want Pics??
Old 08-03-2004, 04:35 PM   #6  
Swimming Mouse

If you post pics of your thumb, I'm going to post pics of my cat bite. Its turning a lovely shade of purple.

Old 08-03-2004, 08:32 PM   #7  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Noodles, I am so sorry about your thumb. I am glad that it is numb. I sure hope the blisters stay intact. Best of luck.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:17 PM   #8  
Rattie Lover

Thanks.. So far, so good. It's fried and turning funny colors but no cracks or breaks. Yay!! Guess that burn cream they sent me home with does work. Always a good thing to know I suppose.

Poor Mousie...I hope you get better soon!! Cat bites can turn bad sometimes..I hope that doesn't happen to you. Tell IMP i'm going to kick his butt for biting his momma!! No No, bad Imp!
Old 08-03-2004, 10:14 PM   #9  

Smile new

Hi, I am really glad to find this group. I am 27 was dx with PCOS in 2000. I have lost 69lbs since Oct of 2004 counting calories, portion control and cutting back on the carbs. I went to the gyn yesterday and am thrilled I found one who listens she put me on glucophage and something other than b/c pills ( they make my blood pressure go up) anyway she said she felt that if kept up the weight loss I would ovulate on my own .
I am really trying with the weight loss but I also have some other health issues that make it hard, but it is hard for everyone. Just looking for support and others who know what this disorder does to your body and self image.
Hope to chat with you all,
csunshineq
Old 08-03-2004, 11:21 PM   #10  
Rattie Lover

Welcome, Sunshine!!

We're glad to have you here!! Glad to always see a new face..and our old timers as well. Feel free to post as much as you'd want.

And...congrats on the 69 POUNDS!! That's excellent!!!!! I lost about 60 but have gained back 10. Ugh... Ahh Well..better than gaining back 100.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:09 PM   #11  

Hi...I have alot of questions. Can someone help me? Is PCOS and insulin resistance the same thing? Do you actually get cysts on your ovaries? is there any basic books I should read? Can someone that is 56 years old just discover that she has PCOS/ insulin resistance? I mean could it have been undiagnosed for that long? Do they treat people that old? Thanks!!
Old 08-04-2004, 07:36 PM   #12  
Swimming Mouse

Well...
You don't necessarily have to have cysts. And I don't know that I agree with the other post about the person who said they'd ovulate if they just lost weight. I was never skinny, but never super overweight the way I am now. And I NEVER NEVER NEVER had a normal cycle. Most of my life I never had a period. Ever. And when I did, it was without warning, and never painful or heavy. It would last for a while, but that is becuase I just didn't have one. the only time it was painful or heavy was when they put me on provera for a little while to force a cycle.
But then again, nobody is convinced I have PCOS. I have most of the symptoms, but I also have elevated cortisol, elevated liver enzymes, and my body doesn't respond to some of the digestive hormones either.
I'm just flat out WEIRD.
Exercise is VERY VERY important in controlling this. I haven't lost much weight (IMO), but I look different becuause I've gotten some muscle (arms/legs) from swimming and minor weight lifting.

Gotta run... sorry if this is disjointed, but we are suddenly having a major huge thunderstorm!

Old 08-04-2004, 10:01 PM   #13  

thats ok anonymouse as long as you answer the rest of my questions!!!
Old 08-05-2004, 12:09 AM   #14  
WW Moderator

Hi Whimsey! The best book I know of is PCOS: The Hidden Epidemic. It is by Sam Thatcher, MD. He is a doctor in my area ( I see his partner. Dr T only sees patients trying to conceive) http://www.obgyn.net/displayarticle....r_book_reviews has a good review.

Yes, you can be undiagnosed to age 56! Insulin resistance is one of the symptoms of PCOS. You can have one without the other. Insulin resistance is in men and women both. You do not have to have cysts to have PCOS. It is a strange syndrome! It is for the most part all hormonal. Insulin is a hormone, just like estrogen and testosterone, and if you have PCOS they are probably all out of whack. There are some great stickies on this forum, and at the top of the forum is a sub-forum called PCOS Articles. Good stuff in there, too!

If you suspect PCOS, I would recommend getting your gyno to diagnose you unless you have a doctor up on women's health issues. Many doctors are still in the dark about PCOS. Feel free to ask as many questions as you have!
Old 08-05-2004, 04:12 AM   #15  
Rattie Lover

Welcome, Whimsey!!

Well, I think the 2 girls covered it all so I'll just give ya a link to our articles. (Thank You, Girlies!! I was out school shopping. LOL!!) There are some on IR..and other things regarding PCOS. Feel free to browse and please come back again and join us in this monthly gab area!! We LOVE newbies and oldies...and lurkers too..you lurkers!!

Here's the link: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=125

SO ...what else is new girlies!! I just got back from doing a little bit of school shopping with the kid. Spent too much $$..ugh. Seems like the older they get, the more they cost!! Ahh well..this year she has 2 pairs of tennis shoes instead of one. I told her she needs to air those shoes OUT...She's turning 11 and starting to change body wise, so it's time for deoderant, bras, all of that stuff. *sigh* I miss the baby days. Pretty soon I'll be going to gradution...college....Grandkids...AHHHH!!!! :faints: I told her no touching any boys peepees until she's married. She laughs at me. So does everyone else. Her dad says she cant get married until shes 35. He's bad!! Ahh well...

The thumb is doing Ok. Blistered over...a few popped but its clear fluid so I'm ok. I got good strong burn cream for it. Thats the last time I pour boiling water out of the pan!!! Back to the tea kettle for me.
Closed Thread