PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-29-2004, 06:49 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekInnerThinChick
Aminah: Curry-- yum, yum, yum. Also korma sauces and rogan josh and naan!!! I love that stuff, and so does my DH. He's English, and loves Anglo/Indian food. But it's so high in fat and calories! If you come across or invent some healthy versions of this stuff, please share it! Curries and Mexican food are the things I feel most deprived of.

It can be hard though. My DH is a real traditionalist when it comes to food. Meat and potatoes, tea at 5 p.m., boil the vegetables for a month. Very British. It has taken me 13 years to get him to eat a more modern diet! Good Luck!
Yesterday I was so psyched for my 3.5 pound weight loss, then my husband stepped on the scale and said he'd lost 4! MEN!

My husband also loves tea at 5 pm...must be the colonial age still influencing him!

I will try the brown rice thing with my husband but I'm not gonna hold my breath. I tried cooking jasmine rice for him...he says basmati is the best. I tried cooking wild rice for him...basmati is the best. I tried cooking plain ol' supermarket rice...you guessed it, basmati is the best. SIGH.

As for good lowfat curries, they're not that hard. If you live in an area with a lot of South Asians, go to a South Asian market and buy some little boxes of Shan curry mix. (They might even have it in your local supermarket, they do here but there are a lot of Asians here.) Don't follow the rules, those rules are for Indians who eat serious spice.

Here's how my husband cooks EVERYTHING (and it tastes good!)

Mohammed's Curry
whatever meat you like
about 2 heaping tbsp plain yogurt
2 tbsp Shan mix (he says they're all the same...I like the chicken curry and a few others I can post later)
a little vegetable oil (you don't need much)
half an onion
heaping tsp garlic
salt to taste

Throw all this stuff in a big pan, cover the meat with water, and crank up the heat. Just boil it for about an hour, add a tomato if you wish, and yum! It's tasty!

Aminah

Last edited by Aminah; 03-29-2004 at 07:13 PM.
Aminah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:11 PM   #17  

Oh, and I think light Mexican food is possible and tasty. You can make fajitas without a lot of oil. I just saute chicken breasts in a little oil with onions, red and green peppers, and add a little salt, cayenne and a dash of cumin at the end. If I'm low-carbing it, I throw all that on lettuce leaves and eat with sour cream and salsa. It's good stuff! Also, I have a great recipe for Chipotle's meat marinade. It's got a lot of oil but you can always cut it down. I'll post it later if I get some time.

It's not a smothered-in-cheese-enchilada, but it does the trick!

Aminah
Old 03-29-2004, 07:32 PM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC
I understand about husbands from a different culture. My husband is from Holland, and everything he cooks (cooked) has bread, potatoes and cheese on it! He also loves curry, but I can't stand it. It isn't really a bad taste, but I always wind up with a headache after eating it. I guess maybe I am allergic to it? He eats on South Beach with me now to help me stay in line. He gained about 15 pounds when he moved here, but that is really all he needed to lose. He lost 10 and now eats the same stuff, just more of it, to maintain.

Aminah, I hope the side effects from the met let up on you soon. I had problems with it all the time, but most everybody else I've talked to gets over it. I had worse symptoms when I ate too many carbs than with any other food. If you continue to have problems, ask your doctor if he/she can get you Glucophage XR. Same thing, but extended release and usually easier on the stomach.
LOL we certainly have international DHs, don't we? I love bread, potatoes, and cheese...but they don't love me!

The metformin doesn't seem to be affecting my stomach anymore. I am being careful and trying not to eat much at a time or anything too fatty or too sugary. My enerygy level is low, though. I hope to adjust soon. One teacher I work with said the met has REALLY helped her. I am hoping to have some success with it. I also need to kick myself in the butt and start up my exercise routine again, but it's hard to get started, especially when you're dead tired like I feel! Oh well, baby steps, baby steps.

Aminah
Old 03-30-2004, 02:42 AM   #19  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminah
I like your idea of 3 bins. Problem is, my 3 bins would be labeled, "Procrastinate and give to Goodwill in 2 years," "Random bills you'll forget to pay," and "A bunch of stuff you'll forget you have and you'll buy at Target next week...again!"

Thanks for the motivation! WOW, your living room project is AMAZING.

Amirah
Yer welcome!! Next week I am going to help a couple friends do a "clean sweep" and teach them how to sell their junk they dont need for $$.

You can get rid of that Goodwill stuff easy!! What I do is I either call a donation place to come and get it, or I will haul it with me in the trunk and on my way to bowling I drop it off at their donation site. THis way it's OUT of the house and IN the car on it's way to wherever it needs to go. If you forget it's in the trunk, just put sticky notes on your steering wheel until you remember. Works for me every time cause I LEAVE it on there until the junk is donated.

Ok then you need 6 bins. The 3 for what I said and the 3 for what you said. Besides, once you clean out the bins they are great for storing seasonal clothes, gifts to give to others, etc. I'm the bin as hubby says. But I have a business to run too so I use them to store my goods and I have them all labeled so I know what I have. They also make great haulers for when I go away and need to haul stuff around in the back of the truck. Bins bins everywhere... hhehehehee
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 09:50 PM   #20  

At my old house, the Epilepsy Foundation used to call every month and offer to pick stuff up. Here, we're on our own! I mean, we're just lazy, and busy too, so it's a pain to pack up the car with all this stuff. I have a bunch of clothes to give away, and they are plus-sized too. I used to go vintage clothes hunting at Goodwill and I could rarely find good plus size stuff. I'm sure it is really hard for the women who HAVE to shop at those places to find wearable stuff.

I have thought about eBay selling but again I'm just too lazy and busy (wacky combo.) Maybe if I am a SAHM mom someday (not that they aren't SUPER busy), but right now I can barely drag myself out of bed and I find myself having serious internal debates about whether a daily shower is necessary. (And before I got married I was so fastidious! Poor husband.) Plus so many eBayers are totally nuts, myself included.

I just may have to hire ya to help me get organized. We went shopping on Saturday and the big 12-roll toilet paper bunch is still plopped right down where we put it when we got home, in the LIVING ROOM. That is lazy!

Oh well!

Aminah