PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-22-2004, 08:47 AM   #1  
It is what it is...

Default Men's Rogaine

Hello All ... I was wondering if any of you have used the Mens formula of Rogaine...I have thinning hair and my dermatologist recommended it...I am afraid to use it because I have heard that it might grow facial hair on women...have any of you used it? and what results did you see?

Thanks for any info...
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 11:33 AM   #2  

I'm using it, and it's been a miracle for me. I have really thick hair on top of my head now, in fact it's a little thicker there than anywhere else. I also used it around the hairline because that had receded just like a guy. It's coming back there pretty well, so I have hopes of being able to brush my hair back instead of doing the "Donald Trump" comb-forward effect.

It didn't grow more hair in the other places where I get it, like the chin and chest. That's the same yucky problem as ever, sadly. I'm also taking Spironolactone for the chest hair, etc. It's hasn't stopped that but I've gotten other good benefits from it-- I'm a lot more even-tempered, my skin and nails are better, etc.

Rogaine worked very fast for me, and the Spiro is gradually rebuilding my system from within, or that's the way it feels, anyway. Together it's a great combination, at least for me. Good Luck.
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 02:57 PM   #3  
It is what it is...

Seek - thanks for that information, I have not been diagnosed with PCOS but came here to ask as I have not gotten response other places, I know that is a sympton of PCOS but I do not have any other symptoms, so I believe I am just experiencing female pattern baldness...I do have some chin hair and mustache, a little, but my hair is blonde so it is not that noticeable...that other drug you mentioned is that for the PCOS? Or is that for the hair regrowth?
My dermatoligist says that they say it may grow facial hair because if you are not careful you may get it on your hands and then touch your face, and it grows hair where ever you put it, but I am still concerned...but on the other hand my hair is getting really thin on top, I can no longer part in the middle I have to do the side part ( female comb over ), so I would be really excited to try it if it would work as well as yours...I know how you can feel when you are losing your hair and it is the worst, I just need something to take care of it, I have already bought the mens rogaine, I just have those reservations....
Old 03-22-2004, 07:46 PM   #4  

Quote:
..that other drug you mentioned is that for the PCOS? Or is that for the hair regrowth?
It's a testosterone blocker. The extra testosterone is a PCOS thing, and the weird hair effects come from the testosterone.

Quote:
My dermatoligist says that they say it may grow facial hair because if you are not careful you may get it on your hands and then touch your face, and it grows hair where ever you put it, but I am still concerned...
that statement is somewhat misleading, IMO. Rogaine can only grow hair in places that have existing hair follicles. It does not create new follicles. So you could put it on the palm of your hand every day and never see any changes. In fact, I massage the stuff into my scalp every night (not in the morning, because it makes your hair kind of sticky) and I have never had any kind of problem. It sometimes drips down my forehead, and I just wipe it off, no problem.

The bottom line is, you have to treat an area with Rogaine twice a day, every day, to see changes. If you wash it off, like on your hands or face, nothing happens.

Quote:
but on the other hand my hair is getting really thin on top, I can no longer part in the middle I have to do the side part ( female comb over ), so I would be really excited to try it if it would work as well as yours...I know how you can feel when you are losing your hair and it is the worst, I just need something to take care of it, I have already bought the mens rogaine, I just have those reservations....
I know, believe me, I know. But I've got to be frank with you, and I want you to listen to me. Hair loss can be caused by all sorts of things, and if it's not hormonal in nature the Rogaine won't help. In fact, it might hurt.

Rogaine acts on your hormones. If there is any chance you are pregnant or could get pregnant, you can't use the "male" version of this stuff, it's like Propecia that way. It could be dangerous, it could harm a baby. I can take it because I'm 47 and basically sterile due to PCOS. The chances of me getting pregnant are almost as low as Governor Arnold's.

Before you do anything, you need to go get diagnosed by a doctor with lots of experience in PCOS, and have your testosterone levels checked before you go with this. You could be suffering from all sorts of other conditions, everything from bad diet to a serious disease to some sort of poisoning. Cancer causes hair loss, for example-- God forbid you should start rubbing Rogaine in your hair and ignore a drastic underlying disease like that-- you could die. Don't just dose yourself without getting a real workup.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:15 AM   #5  
Rattie Lover

Well said, SITC!!!!!!!! I couldn't agree with you more here and I couldn't of said it better myself. I'm going to try the Rogaine too...I am lucky...I have thick hair and I dont need it on top of my head. I just need it where you start to have that receding hairline pattern on the sides of your head.

BTW, WELCOME SATINE!!!!!!!! Glad to see ya here! Feel free to visit us in the monthly chat area. We'd love to have you.
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 08:34 AM   #6  
It is what it is...

Noodles - Thanks for the welcome !!!

Seek - I have been tested through blood tests but have not had the scalp biopsy or pcos test - what does that involve? I know a normal pap cannot detect it.
You said it has to be applied twice daily but then you said something about only doing it at night? My dermatologist did tell me twice daily, and said that I would not have to wash my hair everyday but you stated it was sticky...

Ya know I have also rolled around the idea of hair transplant as well ...
Old 03-23-2004, 10:53 AM   #7  

PCOS is generally diagnosed by blood tests, as is a high testosterone level. A pap smear has absolutely nothing to do with PCOS, a pap smear is designed to detect cervical cancer in the early stages.

You need to rule out any other factor or disease that might be causing the hair loss, and for that you need a COMPLETE CHECKUP. Just as an example, thyroid and diabetes can cause hair loss. So get the doctor to rule out these possibilities before you just assume it's testosterone.

I have never heard of a "scalp biopsy." That sounds like something a dermatologist would say. Personally, If I were you, I'd go to a family practice or general practice doctor and get a COMPLETE CHECKUP with full blood workup. He or she will also listen to your heart, test your reflexes, etc. As I said, you may have some serious underlying condition here, and you must go to a G.P. or F.P. to rule that out. Quite frankly, a good, ethical dermatologist should insist on this first, before treating your hair.

About the Rogaine: you do apply it twice daily. As I said, I ONLY massage it in at night because the stuff is sticky. If I massaged it in in the morning, the Rogaine would get all over my hair which makes it hard to style. Rogaine comes with an eyedropper that you fill to a line that's marked on the dropper and then place at intervals all over the affected areas. The stuff then spreads a bit, and drips, too. It's not much thicker than water. I only massage it in at night to get it to cover and sink in fast, so I can get to bed. Otherwise, it takes a while to dry.

And Rogaine will NOT work for you if your hair loss is NOT caused by hormone imbalance. In other words, Rogaine ONLY works where there IS an underlying hormonal problem. But many, many cases of hair loss are NOT hormonal in nature.

I know this is difficult, but you must stop fixating about this one hair issue and do everything you need to do to get diagnosed properly. Hair loss is often associated with a disease condition. If you don't treat the disease, the hair loss could get worse no matter what you do. For example, I had to completely change my diet and my stressful life to help support the results I was getting with my treatment. If I had not done that as well as using the products, I might not have seen the results.

You can't just slap something on your head and say "problem over." It's not a quick fix-- it takes months to get decent results. You must do your homework on this. Please promise me you will get a COMPLETE CHECKUP by a normal general practitioner.

I've repeated this COMPLETE CHECKUP phrase several times now-- I can't emphasize that enough. I really, really want you to get the message loud and clear. Please-- there are no quick, superficial fixes here-- get yourself down to a good regular doctor NOW!!! Good Luck!

Last edited by SeekInnerThinChick; 03-23-2004 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:02 PM   #8  
It is what it is...

Thanks Seek - I will go to my family Dr and see what she says... I appreciate your taking the time to help me with this...
Old 03-23-2004, 03:45 PM   #9  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satine
Noodles - Thanks for the welcome !!!

Seek - I have been tested through blood tests but have not had the scalp biopsy or pcos test - what does that involve? I know a normal pap cannot detect it.
Here's a couple of articles for ya Satine...might answer some of the Q's ya have.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35418

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35419
Old 03-26-2004, 07:56 PM   #10  

I have another question if anybody might no the answer to. My husband has a terrible reciting hairline and I was reading the Rogaine box and it said only for men who are balding why is this and has anyone tried it on their reciting hairline.
Kearie
3kidsworthlosin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:12 AM   #11  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kidsworthlosin4
I have another question if anybody might no the answer to. My husband has a terrible reciting hairline and I was reading the Rogaine box and it said only for men who are balding why is this and has anyone tried it on their reciting hairline.
Kearie
Hi 3Kids...

I haven't tried it yet so I couldn't answer ya yet.

What I would recommend is to call their Mens Rogaine Information line and ask. The # is: 1-800-ROGAINE (1-800-764-2463) 9am to 8pm EST, Monday-Friday.

Hope this helps!! Please let us know what they have to say...
Old 03-29-2004, 11:30 AM   #12  

I think I can answer that one. Yes, I've got, or I had, a receding hairline, in addition to a bald spot oin top and bald patches in the rear. The Rogaine cured that! BUT BUT BUT-- there seems to be some evidence that men's Rogaine (the 5% strength) could do harm to the fetus during a pregnancy!!! So the company that makes the stuff warns women off the stronger version. Since I'm essentially sterile due to PCOS, I can use it.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:32 AM   #13  
It is what it is...

So they warn women not to take it because of the chance of pregnancy...not because you are going to start growing a beard or other bad facial hair?
Old 03-29-2004, 04:12 PM   #14  
Rattie Lover

I posted some new Rogaine articles in our PCOS articles forum...have a peek!!
Old 04-05-2004, 04:41 AM   #15  

Default Nioxin for Women

I have been using Nioxin hair care system for women since last april and my hairdresser has seen new hair growth and thicker hair shafts. It is about 20$ a bottle for each -cleanser, conditioner and scalp therapy, but it lasts about 2 months and it is SO WORTH IT. You can find it at hair salons and salon distributors.

Good luck
Kitty
cf, diabetes, pcos, asthma, dvt
kittykitkat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote