PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 12:15 PM   #16  

Michele: I've been on Spiro about 6 months, but I noticed changes within a few days, at least in the way I felt. I got a big lecture on nutrition from the dermatologist as well as my family practitioner, about eating lots of fruits and veggies, as well as protein. They both felt I wasn't getting enough vitamins and micronutrients from plants. So I took that advice and now I'm eating about 6 - 9 1/2 cup servings of fruits and veggies a day, at every meal and most snacks. It's not really too hard. I can easily eat 2 cups of asparagus, broccoli, spinanch, or salad at a sitting, and fruits are portable for snacks. I try to eat fruits and veggies raw or lightly steamed to get the most out of them. According to my doctors, that's as important as protein for your skin and hair.

The acne problem seems to have a life of its own. Right now its not looking too good. At least its confined to my face, though. And my skin is naturally dry, so the usual acne treatments make things worse. While moisturizer and sunscreen can make me break out. Rock and a hard place.

I'm bummed out about my face right now anyway. It's not like I was ever a raving beauty, far from it, but the face that's emerging from the fat looks like Alfred Hitchcock, or Ben Franklin-- it looks like a man's face, and I'm not talking Johnny Depp. I look like my father, but with jowls and deep circles under the eyes. Also scars. It doesn't help that I've got some paralyzed nerves on the right side of my face, due to some facial trauma, so it's "slack" there and doesn't match the left side. Now that a lot of fat is gone, it looks like I've had a stroke on that side.

I had to choose new glasses frames yesterday, and I was so upset about having to look at myself it took me 3 hours to choose. My stomach was in a knot and I couldn't eat. Ended up with a 728 calorie day. Migraine this a.m., of course. Dumb. Normally I'm not that vain, what would be the point, but I must be having a midlife crisis over this, as I'm really upset, I must say.

I just took some aspirin, and then I'm going to take a long hot bath and just flop. Woozy from not eating yesterday. It's rough out there, fighting the personal appearance wars, and I need some R & R.

Last edited by SeekInnerThinChick; 03-11-2004 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:29 PM   #17  
WW Moderator

SITC, I'm sorry you are feeling down. We ALL go through that some times! I totally understand about the acne. I had it very bad on my jaws when I first dated my husband. He still went out with me, so I must have looked better than I thought in the mirror. About the mirror - I hate my body when I shop for swimsuits but am always ok once it passes. You aren't alone, if that is any comfort.

Noodles, I can see that you have lost weight! You have a waist! I'm envious. I never had one, even when I was a size Skinny.

Michelle, welcome to the forum! I'm glad you have a good doctor to help you. I'm not on low carb, but I do control carbs on South Beach. I had fairly mild symptoms, over all, but they stay in control with a limit on refined carbs and exercise. Exercise really makes a difference for me.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:56 PM   #18  

STC: I am so sorry you are feeling badly about your skin. It's bad enough getting acne as a teen but to go through it as an adult is horrifying. I have been battling rosacea for years using different meds and topical agents. I loathe the struggle and sometimes it feels so fruitless! :\ I understand where you are coming from. We are our own worse critics. I know when I think my skin looks horrendous that others don't see what I see. But it is so daunting for our self esteem when we cannot present clear skin to the world.

I am sorry you are unhappy about the structure of your face. I am sure it will get better as you continue to lose weight and as your skin tightens up. When my mom dropped 75 pounds she just cried after the first 40 pounds. She had jowls and hated them. Finally as she neared goal, they tightened up and she was so much happier. I believe you will get there to a place where you are happy with you!!! And remember its as much about what is inside as what is out... I know that sounds cliched but I truly believe it.

Hi Jennifer. Thank you for the welcome. I am having a hard time with low carb and I am just on day two!! Gah!!! My ex brought ice cream over tonight and I indulged and I feel terrible. I was waiting to start working out next week after getting through Induction. Needless to say I start induction over again tomorrow and I'm going to start working out as well. I have the energy. I just need to do it!!!
Old 03-11-2004, 11:00 PM   #19  

Thanks everyone. The "stroke" look bothers me more than the acne, I must say. I also have migraines on that side, and I can't smile normally. Once the fat comes off it will be time to look at microsurgery to repair the facial nerve on that side.

Michele, thanks for mentioning your mom. She must be around my age, and if she went through a "YIKES" episode and it all came out fine in the end, that gives me hope. I also hope you can get your ex to stop bringing over treats, that's so not fair, IMHO, lol!

In the meantime, had a decent 1456 calorie day-- hiding under the covers. Sometimes when the going gets tough, the tough need to take a nap. Thanks again, everyone.

Last edited by SeekInnerThinChick; 03-11-2004 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:42 AM   #20  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC

Noodles, I can see that you have lost weight! You have a waist! I'm envious. I never had one, even when I was a size Skinny.
Thanks!!! I don't feel like I lost weight but I must have...everyone has said so!! AND...here is the kicker...I weighed myself tonight before I got in the shower...AND I GOT TO 175!! MY Mini Goal for St. Patricks Day!! YIPPIE!!!!!!! YAHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I even took a picture of the scale cause I was sooo excited!! I musta hopped on and off of it 10 times to be sure that's what it said. I think I might like my scale now...
Old 03-12-2004, 12:01 PM   #21  
Rattie Lover

Hi Girls!!

What a crazy weekend I have!! Starting last night, we decided to re-arrange the living room and so began the task of un-loading all of the crap out of the beast TV center and putting that in the hallway or anywhere else it would go and then cleaning the whole damn thing, plus dusting the other stuff, plus moving couches & chairs around, plants around, etc. (Even knocked over a plant...what a MESS!!!) After moving all of this around oh about 100 times or so so hubby could have it "just right", now the time comes to put it all back together. Only good thing is it's great exercise and I happen to weed out stuff when I do things like this. Bye bye books, bye bye knick nacks, bye bye!!!

Now later this afternoon, I have a jump rope performance to attend. Daughter is jumping, I just help out & pre-judge. Tomorrow will be the kicker. I have a state games competition to Judge...and we have to be up there by 8 am. Well it's a 1½ hour drive from here!! BLAH!! And I am NOT a morning person. Can you say CRANKY?!! Then I Judge probably until 6 PM. Good thing we get a lunch or I might be reallllll cranky by mid-day! hahahaha. But don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy Judging. I worked hard to get my 2nd year certification and I am damn well going to put it to good use.

Well, have a good day/weekend! I am off to attack the beast!!
Old 03-12-2004, 12:04 PM   #22  
Rattie Lover

Oops! Meant to show ya these 2 pics!! DUH NOODLES!!

Here is the "beast" I cleaned off and moved over to the wall where the couch was...pic taken in 2003.

And here is a pic of what the living room looked like before...we moved the love seat into the bedroom for the dog. SPOILED DOG!!
Old 03-12-2004, 08:49 PM   #23  

Hi everyone!

Noodles, you are one busy woman. Between trotting the globe and rearranging your home, no wonder you look so hot!! Nice pics, you are a lovely woman. I continue to struggle along. I seem to have lost my motivation and I don't know how to get it back. Strange! I have been exercising but just not watching the food choices closely enough. Will do better starting now.

Michelle, welcome to this little group! It is a great place. I have learned so much from this board. With great thanks to Noodles and Jennifer.

I know I asked this before and I think it was you Noodles who answered me. Did your endo recommend a certain food plan for PCOS/Insulin Resistant folks? Maybe it wasn't you. I know I read it somewhere but can't remember where.

Anyway, my fatty liver and I are doing well. Had my physical last week and the liver enzymes are well within the normal range. The great news is my blood pressure typically 150/92 or so is now down to 130/78 and my resting pulse is now 68 which before it was 98. I am just so excited about this (small things, small minds I guess) because it is the first tangible thing I have to show the beauty of exercise and the impact it has on the body. So, Billy Blanks and I (Tae Bo) have made progress this year. I am down 27 lbs. from last year but I have done so awful lately I probably have it all back on by now...Rrrr.

If any of you have words of wisdom for getting back on track let me have it, I am struggling!

Take Care,
Old 03-12-2004, 10:00 PM   #24  
WW Moderator

Michele, good luck starting back over! Induction is hard, but you will feel so cleansed after it is over. I think exercise will help. That and lots of water! I know when I am exercising regularly, eating off plan is even further away from my mind. Jump right back in head first! If you need help staying off the ice cream, try Le Carb frozen yogurt. The cinnamon and the chocolate are really good, and there are not any sugar alcohols. It is Splenda only. It isn't for induction, either, but it tastes good and will at least keep you from the sugar.

Jenaya, when I went to my endo I was starting Atkins. His dietician said I could stay on it if I liked, but I did notice she had a bookshelf full of new copies of Sugar Busters. Controlling your carbs in one form or another should help you lose weight easier if you are IR. Also, exercise is VITAL to successful weight loss for an IR person, much more so than somebody without insulin resistance. To get on track - Just plan on ONE day on plan (you decide what the plan is) with 5 minutes (or something very realistic) of exercise. A small goal is better than no goal! Stick with really easy stuff for a few days and show yourself that you are capable of doing this. You can increase from there! Baby steps!
Old 03-12-2004, 11:24 PM   #25  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenaya
Noodles, you are one busy woman. Between trotting the globe and rearranging your home, no wonder you look so hot!! Nice pics, you are a lovely woman.
Aww....Thanks!!!!!!! The only way I stay sane and keep from eating and eating is by staying busy. It keeps my mind off goodies and on other productive things like re-arranging the furniture, jump rope judging, roller skating, tennis....ya know...stuff like that. I have really enjoyed being active again and it's getting addicting. I don't want to stop now that *I* see the difference on the scale.
Today I stepped on it another 10 times to see if it was lying to me about the 175, and it hasn't changed so I better believe it I guess. I better cut it out or I might break it!! hahaaha It's just hard to believe it when you stared at 225 for years.

I am glad to hear you are doing better!! YAY!! Just hang in there...set small goals which in turn will get you to your big goals. That's the only way I can do it. I have to remember the big giant light at the end of the tunnel is lit up with little lights to guide me along the way.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:26 PM   #26  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC
It is Splenda only. It isn't for induction, either, but it tastes good and will at least keep you from the sugar.
I can vouch for Splenda!! I use it all the time now. Good stuff!!
Old 03-13-2004, 01:24 AM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenaya
Hi everyone!
Michelle, welcome to this little group! It is a great place. I have learned so much from this board. With great thanks to Noodles and Jennifer.

I know I asked this before and I think it was you Noodles who answered me. Did your endo recommend a certain food plan for PCOS/Insulin Resistant folks? Maybe it wasn't you. I know I read it somewhere but can't remember where.

Anyway, my fatty liver and I are doing well. Had my physical last week and the liver enzymes are well within the normal range. The great news is my blood pressure typically 150/92 or so is now down to 130/78 and my resting pulse is now 68 which before it was 98. I am just so excited about this (small things, small minds I guess) because it is the first tangible thing I have to show the beauty of exercise and the impact it has on the body. So, Billy Blanks and I (Tae Bo) have made progress this year. I am down 27 lbs. from last year but I have done so awful lately I probably have it all back on by now...Rrrr.

If any of you have words of wisdom for getting back on track let me have it, I am struggling!

Take Care,
Hi! You have fatty liver as well?!!? Are you doing anything special or taking anything for it?!?!? I know you are exercising which is wonderful!!! My doc has me on Atkins for weight loss as well as two Fibercon tablets for extra fiber every day. We are going to see how it is going. I would love to compare notes with you. This fatty liver business has me stressed out!!! Thanks for the welcome!!!

Thanks Jennifer!! I cleaned the goodies out of the house and had a strict talk with the ex. I am feeling confident that I can do this!!! Thank you for the encouragement.

Last edited by southerngirl; 03-13-2004 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:37 AM   #28  

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the support guys, it is nice to come to a place where folks understand how tough this weight loss thing is when you have a medical problem that complicates the pounds just falling off! It is slow but it, as each of us has shown, is possible. Noodles CONGRATS on the 175. You just keeping jumping on and off that scale girl - look at it a million times a time if you need to, it is wonderful incentive for you and a real reward for all of your hard work. Thanks for your offers of encouragement, I appreciated them and I need them.

Jennifer, I appreciate your suggestions. I went out and bought the South Beach diet so I will look more closely at the plan. You know, I just can't believe how my body does not like refined carbs. I have to accept that whole grain bagels/breads/etc. may be healthy for some but they will never be good for my body. I just can't have them. When I eat well balanced healthy food pyramid foods, I gain weight. It isn't normal but neither is my body. So, I know this and now I can accept it and live the way I need to by making good choices. I have never really used Splenda or aspartame. Do you think they are harmful? I guess they have been around long enough and have had long term testing. Any thoughts?

Michele, I have sent you a message about my fatty liver experience. Noodles posted a really good article on this forum about fatty liver. You are doing excellent with your weight loss. I know it is tough when you are going through big change in your life but you sound really motivated to get yourself well and healthy. This will benefit you and your little pumpkin!

I hope everyone is having a good weekend. I am off to soccer (no jump rope competitions here, in fact, before you Noodles, I had never heard of this sport. Sounds neat!!) Then out into the cold and snow to a kids birthday party - 27 kids and freezing rain in the streets. Doesn't that sound like fun? We are bowling so should be a blast. This kids are so darn cute! So, if you are in warm climate - soak it up and send some my direction. I know - it is a choice, Arizona's calling my name!

Cheers,

Jenaya
Old 03-13-2004, 04:17 PM   #29  
WW Moderator

This should be the Fatty Liver Forum. I have it too. I'm not doing anything for it other than weight loss and increased fiber. My overall liver pain is down, so that must be a good sign. Do any of you have problems with liver pain?
Old 03-13-2004, 11:21 PM   #30  

No, I can't say that I have liver pain. Sometimes I have a vague ache in the upper left quadrant but it can be hard to determine the source of pain in the flank and pelvic region due to referred pain. Or, at least this is what a dr. told me. Jennifer can you describe the type of pain you feel - dull ache, sharp pain, throbbing and does it last any length of time? High or low or just through the central part of your abdoment? Just curious.

Jenaya
Closed Thread