PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Default Summer (June/July/August) PCOS Support Thread?!

Hi everyone,

I'll be the first to admit I'm one of the ones that disappears for weeks at a time (I travel a lot for work right now!).

But, let's start a chatting thread, maybe we can keep it up? Maybe one thread for the summer?

I've had my regain (you can see it on the side over here <----) and I am now focused on losing it. This time for real. I keep saying I will, but then I'll find myself traveling and losing all will power.

I am slowly moving back to a paleo-style diet, having gone completely off track for about 2 months. I let myself have my excuses, but I am now back to being focused because I know that this way of eating makes me feel better. I sleep better, I feel emotionally better, I lose weight on it, and I can function better in general.

For the last week, I've been back on track, eating healthier, eating my allotted calories, and exercising regularly.

What about everyone else?

What's going on here in PCOS Land?

-----
Who Am I: Diagnosed with PCOS when I was 19, been trying to treat it naturally without drugs since then, not taking any BCP, metformin or other drugs! Exercise regularly and focus on eating low-carb, Paleo style, and counting calories (approx 1400 for weight loss).
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #2  

Anyone?

Even just a hello?

I've been doing okay. I've been losing a couple pounds already, so I'm happy with the progress, but it's been hard, because it is eating less. And I'm happy to have taken out all the junk food. It's amazing how my taste buds have already adapted and when I get close to eating something I shouldn't, the chemicals really drive me away (or at least make me think twice!).
Old 06-23-2015, 09:04 AM   #3  

I'm in a similar place. I had a good run of staying on track with my high protein, low carb diet. I stopped eating sugar all together, except for fruit with a side of protein.

Then I spent over a week visiting my parents out of state and fell in to the "I'm on vacation" mentality and ate soft serve ice cream with wild abandon. Unfortunately eating sugar and carbs carried over when I returned home. I got back on track for a few days until my in-laws came to visit for a week, and my mother-in-law kept saying "you're on vacation, go ahead and indulge a little." What is it with the vacation mentality? I did a lot better this time around and had one or two little things off my plan, but once that sugar hits my body it's a pain in the butt starting over!

Like you said, I also feel better eating a certain way and I am trying to get back to that. I'm already dreading the 4th of July. I don't want to fall off plan again. I've been trying to plan ahead and started hoarding healthy picnic food recipes to make.

PCOS wise, I'm trying to conceive. I should be starting another round of Clomid, but I don't think I'm going to take it this cycle. I want to focus on cleaning up my diet, getting back in to my hard workouts, and getting in to Onederland for the first time since 5th grade.

Rana, how have you been doing so far? Still on track? Congrats on your loss!
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:57 PM   #4  

Wow, I can't believe it is almost August already. July flew by so flippin' fast. I'm barely managing to stay away from processed sugar. I went shopping today and filled my cart with produce. I have also been more consistent with my workouts and have been exercising at least 45 minutes 6 days a week. All that and I haven't lost a pound. Talk about frustrating. Regardless, I still feel a lot better not eating carbs and sugar. So onward into August I go.

My metformin prescription was up at the end of June and I didn't bother to refill it. I was on met for a year, and had absolutely nothing to show for it. I've been off it for a month, and I feel a lot better. Hopefully it was the right decision.
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I'm here!

Hang in there with your respective "reboots" Rana and 2fat2jump!

I am right there with ya!

WHERE I WAS

We had some more deaths in the family. So I've been off with that. Distant relatives for me, but closer to my Alzheimer Dad.

It is nobody's fault but I am SOOOO tired of death. In less than 2 years it's been like 4 people. Mom pointed out that we have some elders in the high 80's so there might be more coming.

So it has been about helping Dad cope more than anything else. It REALLY upsets him when people pass on -- esp his "peer group" because then he becomes afraid he's next. Sigh. He's been a handful and just on a roll with the constant chitter chatter about his death phobias, confusion, and upset.

It isn't like I can have a conversation with him about death and comfort him that way. It's more like he feels some yucky things and he runs around the room trying to express/park his feelings somewhere but he cannot park it in the right garage. So he flits from one thing to the next all agitated.

Like in his Alz head he goes:
  • Is it happy? I will make disruptive jokes and laugh really loud (which startles the small kids). No. It is not happy.
  • Is it mad? I will stomp and shout and pick fights. No. It is not mad.
  • Is is scared? I will be suspicious about my food wondering what is in it and my people wondering what they are out to get me for. No. It is not scared.

Wears us out.

PCOS IN PERIMENOPAUSE SUMMARY

As short as I can, I will recap my year and bring to date.

In Feb I felt CRAZY with hot flashes and night sweats and more so my endoc did me a favor and ran sex hormone labs. The biggest news showed a very obvious less than 0.1% progesterone. She suggested I find an OB who understands PCOS. I started taking Emerita cream and that helped take some of the edge off.

I saw herbalist in March. That helped some too -- evening primrose, vitex, ashwaganda.

I spend some time hunting for OB/GYN that knew PCOS. (That's been a bust for me before, I get my Pap smear done by my GP.) Eventually saw my new OB/GYN in June and her June labs showed a bump up to 0.6 progesterone, but that is still low so she sent me off to compound pharmacy. I need stronger.

Then I had to find one of those and set it up.

Late July (last week) -- I talked to pharmacist who wants to study my labs but from first consultation she pointed out Synthroid could be responsible for some of this wacky symptom stuff I was describing.

I had already unintentionally paused taking it because I took a short top of July vacation and forgot it. I felt better. When I got home I called to tell the endoc and ask by phone if I can switch to something else (Armour?) because Levoxyl did not have me crazy. And being OFF the synthroid was a relief. She suggested I leave it alone till next labs and we can talk then. Because labs were in Aug.

So between vacation discovery and pharmacist, I've decided to just quit it until my next endoc labs. But I moved it to top of Sept. Like another month. Then it will REALLY show what it is like in my system without it on the labs. I plan to discuss this some more with the endoc in person. I need a thyroid solution that doesn't ADD to my crazy symptoms.

For now focus on the perimenopause and hormones.

Anyway, at this point the compound pharmacist will tell the OB what her treatment suggestions for me are and if the OB signs off on it, then I get a prescription cream/pill/plan thing to help. I hope that happens this week.

I've been reading a lot about progesterone deficiency. It's been illuminating and helping me figure out my way here. I see a lot written about PCOS people wanting to get pregnant but I'm past that age and stage of my life. I am over here at THIS place -- and I don't see a lot on PCOS perimenopause and easing that transition.

I know the info is out there... just trying to find stuff that actually helps me talk to my doctor is more challenging.

I am still in shock -- I can sleep ok for once, I wake up cheerful and rested. I had NO idea the Synthroid was responsible for exacerbating so much.

I even did a workout this morning... and LIKED IT.

So... we will see.

It's been a long road with the PCOS thing, and I hate this regain. But it is what it is, so I too reset my signature marker, adjusted a realistic year's goal and here I go again. I will take it in stride and and keep moving it along! Do NOT give up!

Hubby is also dealing with andropause now and it pisses him off to see middle belly gain from nowhere, hot flashes, headaches and whatnot of his own. I try to be supportive and understanding because he's just been awesome with me and my wacky. But I will admit that I envy him sometimes -- dude only deals in this recent 20 lb gain from his hormone wacko. I face more like 120 lbs!

My daughter got her first period this summer. I keep praying she takes after his side of the family and will not be dealing in PCOS crap in HER life. Crossing fingers. Time will tell.

CURRENT MANAGEMENT PLAN

2000 mg Metformin ER (for the insulin resistance)

2 caps vitex
2 caps evening primrose
over the counter Emerita progesterone cream (help deal with the hot flash, cycle upheaval. Might change soon)

multivitamin, cal-mag, fish oil, Vit D, Vit B12, inositol -- general supplements.

diet (not sure what to do with this -- DH now has requirement so trying to figure out what fits ALL the family members)

exercise (3x a week, anything) <-- I am going to focus here because that seems easiest to deal with right now.

hugs
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 08-01-2015 at 10:38 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:43 PM   #6  

I am back. I've been traveling for work. Again.

I'm still focused and for the time I was home, I can more or less get myself on track. It's the trips that kill my diet.

I haven't yet been able to find how to lose the weight faster, I think I move at about 2 lbs per MONTH, on a good month.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #7  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

So far I'm -1 since I posted last. Hope it sticks!

Good news -- my new progesterone cream is coming! Woot!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 08-13-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:02 AM   #8  

I'm barely hanging in there, but I am!

I went on my work trip and I came back at more or less the same weight, so I guess I need to call that a NSV. I guess I can manage it... I just have to focus on it.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Compound pharmacy sent it -- I am now taking oral progesterone and estrogen. The perimenopause dwarves are being held at bay. YAY! I can SLEEP! I am not on fire from hot flashes! I am not having random anxiety from nowhere!

I am adding back the d-chiro-inositol when it comes in the mail.

I even cranked up my fitbit and started exercising again now that I have energy (from being able to sleep!) to do it.

The slight bummer is that it has been so long since I felt this good I forgot what feeling good felt like. Makes me wonder how long feeling good will last? And I know that's a chronic patient thought but... its there.

So I'm like 90% happy, 10% uncertain. I am trying to focus on the good part and not let my worry overshadow it.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 09-02-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #10  

Good, Astrophe! Glad things are getting better.

I'm plodding along, obviously losing weight is slow for me, but at least i'm back to getting my eating under control. Exercising is back on track too.

I should start taking a look at perimenopause. How do you know you're in it?
Old 09-07-2015, 12:02 PM   #11  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Thanks. I feel so much better with sound sleep again. It is amazing.

For me it was crazy hot flashes in the night, sweating like crazy, unable to sleep right, and sudden weight gain. Endoc even though I might be pregnant. I put on 12 lbs so fast it was wacky. Perimenipause symptoms can start as early as 36. It can last 8-10 years.

I was not going to get a signal like wonky periods because I have been wonky periods my whole life.

Now that I am on progesterone/estrogen meds I have lost 4 lbs from nowhere. Which means it totally is my hormones because while I have been food logging and trying to fit it more exercise, I cannot say it was a lot more than my efforts before.

It is baffling for sure.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 09-07-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:04 PM   #12  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Come on over to the fall thread!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...ml#post5199900

A.