PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 268/247.5/170

Height: 5'11

Default Great article in The Atlantic, and my story (sorry, kind of long)

Hi! After reading this article: The Atlantic I decided to seek out the support groups, I didn't know there were ones before I saw the article. I have both insulin resistance and PCOS.

My grandmothers on both sides of my family had Diabetes Type 2. Growing up I had a dark ring of skin around my neck and as much as I tried to scrub the "dirt" off it always stayed. I told my mom about this and she said that she had the same problem. My parents were yo-yo dieters when I was little and I was very tall so I was always seen as thin. l It wasn't until around 22 when my body stopped growing that I had issues with my weight. At one point I basically stopped eating all together, I just had special k cereal for breakfast and dinner and a protein bar at lunch and I would work out for two hours every night. I was at my lowest weight during this time. I ended up developing kidney stones from all the protein bars I was eating so I gave up that diet and began to eat whatever I wanted.

In 2011 my younger sister was eating an all vegan diet, going to see a nutritionist and working out five plus hours and not losing any weight. She also had the dark ring around her neck. My mom took her to an endocrinologist and she was diagnosed with insulin resistance. I said to her maybe I should go see the endocrinologist and she swore up and down I only was heavier because of the food choices I made, and if I just ate better that I would lose weight. Well I tried and I was never able to. I gained 20 pounds in August of 2010 and have only put on weight up until that point. I would say that I gained about 80 pounds in total. In 2012 I went on weight watchers because I was getting married and wanted to lose weight. I was able to drop 20 pounds before food cravings became too much for me and I gained it all back.

I noticed I started to develop little hairs along my chin, and my underarms always looked bruised. I told my mother about this, she is a nurse and she told me that it was probably insulin resistance but she never suggested going to see the endocrinologist she took my sister to. April 2014 (after my yearly exam), my periods started to become irregular, there were months that I didn't even get my period. 73-77 days between cycles, I was really starting to get worried.

At the beginning of the year I went to the hospital to be treated for pain in my chest. My heart was fine, so the doctor ordered an ultra sound on my gallbladder. While looking at my gallbladder, the technician said that I had fatty liver. I went and saw a gastroenterologist and was sent to have a MRI with contrast done on my abdomen and pelvis. Follicles were found on my ovaries. I was diagnosed with depression while I was still in high school, so feelings of worthlessness and sadness were not new to me. I didn't think it was a sign of what I was currently experiencing.

My mother finally passed along the endocrinologist information to me. I was seen and had blood work for insulin resistance, though he said just looking at my markings I definitely had the insulin resistance. He told me the PCOS was linked to insulin resistance but made it seem like my insulin resistance caused the PCOS. He put me on glumetza (a form of metformin) and started me on trulicity to help me with my cravings. He told me the trulicity would help me lose weight, get my period back on track, help with the facial hair and acne. I took it for three months (I was told this was how long it would take for me to get used to the side effects of the medicine) but it made me sick to my stomach. I was then switched to bydureon and feel much better on this. I have lost so far 21 pounds and I feel better. My depression is pretty much non-existent, my cycle is regular and I have more energy. I am still experiencing some facial hair growth and acne. This has not cleared up.

My OBGYN told me she didn't see any reason to treat me as she believes the insulin resistance medication will help me. She did say that when I am ready to have children I am going to need a high risk doctor to monitor me.

I'm still very fearful that I will not be able to have kids and that I will eventually develop diabetes. I also fear that if I am able to have children I will pass this on to them, it seems that this runs in my family. My mother is going to see my sister and I's doctor in September to see if she has it as well.

I am happy to know I am not the only one out there, I thought this was a very rare occurrence to have both and I am just happy to know I am not alone. It is nice to meet you all!
Cliffschetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote