PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 11:34 PM   #1  
God, Give me strength !!

S/C/G: 240/240/150

Height: 5'7

Question Does anyone else feel boated after they eat

Hi ladies
My name is Melissa, ans I am 33 yrs old, and new to this site. Which is just AWESOME BTW

I was wondering if anyone else here, who is dealing with PCOS feels bloated after they eat. I was DX'd in 94 with PCOS.

Whenever i eat ( mainly starches or carbs ) I am bloated for hrs after I eat. Is this bloated feeling a connection with PCOS, or is it something else. I was just wondering is there anyone here that deals with this as well

Any thoughts would be very HELPFUL for me, and very much appreciated
Old 07-21-2003, 08:55 AM   #2  
"I'm working on it!"

Default Hi Missy

I know what you're feeling. I too feel soooo bloated after eating bad starches and carbs.

I try to keep to a diet where I eat brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat flour, no sugar, no corn, no processed stuff and I try to limit my starches to maybe 3 a day.

Went to a friend's for dinner on saturday and had some white pasta, carrot cake and rice krispie treats (as well as other "good" stuff). I'm still feeling a little bloated.

Maybe you have to try to change how you eat a little bit.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:51 PM   #3  
God, Give me strength !!

Hi Zanne
Thanx for replying to me. I have changed my diet as far as Carbs amd starches go. I was wondering, do u know why this happens though?
I have an appointment with my Doc to get back on Met which is next week, and i will ask him abt it then, but I was wondering if this Bloating thing was linked to PCOS, or if it ijust something completely different.
When I follow Atkins, I have NO PROBS whatsoever, and I actually feel great
The only problem is I am finding Atkins hard to stick too, since I amd not too fond of Meat. I am researching other diets now, to see if I can find a better one to suit me.
Thanx so much for your insight
Old 07-21-2003, 06:55 PM   #4  
"I'm working on it!"

Default Missy

Sorry, don't know if the bloating is PCOS related. I try to follow SugarBuster type eating. Great forum on this site. I'm pretty sure SugarBusters is a good way of eating for PCOS.

I also find that when I exercise, I don't crave junk food like chips and pop. I actually want the better stuff like an apple.

Just try to remember that awful feeling you get when you reach for the bad stuff. Maybe that will help you stay away from bad carbs and sugar.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:26 PM   #5  
God, Give me strength !!

It;s funny u said that. remeber the awful stuff U reach for, and how it makes u feel
I've found myself doing this
Thank U again. So much
Old 07-22-2003, 10:44 AM   #6  

Are you on glucophage? One of the side effects is bloating, I didnt do low carb so I had to drink about 4 liters of water a day to keep from being so bloated.

Or if you are hypothyroid, levoxyl does that too.

HTH
Old 07-22-2003, 09:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

The carbs cause gas. That's one of the great things about going low carb, NO gas or heartburn for me. I think it's something about the sugars actually fermenting in the intestine as they are trying unsuccessfully to be digested. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2003, 10:19 PM   #8  
WW Moderator

Most people will bloat after eating carbs. Carbs cause us to retain water, mainly in the stomach. The carbs cause glycogen to be stored in the water in the midsection...or something like that! This is why low carb diets cause a quick loss at the first of the diet. The body has had so much glycogen stored, that as the body burns it off due to lack of carbs, the water flushes away with it.

If you cut back your carbs you probably won't see the bloating as much.
Closed Thread