PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Default March 2014 - PCOS Support Thread

Hello everyone!

Jump in, better late than never...

Who is here?

How is your PCOS going?

What are your goals/plans for March?

Happy International Women's Day!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I am, obviously here.

My PCOS management is going well. In February, I lost 5 lbs!

YAY!

I want to lose another 5 lbs this month, but we'll see. I have a lot of travel coming up on the second half of March, so I won't be around much. But I will be putting my new habits to the test.

Still Paleo-like and still fine. I have lost cravings at some point, can't remember when. And BF is still doing this with me although his weight loss is slowing down. I think he thought he would be losing a ton of weight until he reached his goal... now he realizes (like I told him!) that it will take a little longer. But he continues to lose inches, so he's looking great.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #3  

Hi - I'm a newbie to PCOS and to this forum. I've lurked for a long time and finally had the courage to post.
I was just diagnosed the end of last month and am currently on Metformin and BCP. The Met is making my life miserable - between the GI issues and the nausea, I am ready to tear my hair out. The only upside is that I have lost about 8lbs in the last week and a half! The side effects are supposed to lessen with time, so fingers crossed. I've had such a hard time with my weight all my life, been on every kind of diet, seen multiple doctors that just brushed me off as someone with her face in a doritos bag 24/7 - I am thankful that I finally have a real diagnosis and the weight is starting to be shed. Is there any specific diet that anyone can recommend? I was on Jenny Craig, but it did not mix well with the meds. Just smelling their food made me want to throw up. Any ideas, suggestions or info would be great. Thank you!
FattyMcFatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #4  

Default Help Needed for my daughter

I am the mother of a 17 yr old girl. She was diagnosed with PCOS last Fall; they have her on BC and Metformin (1000 mg per day). She is very active, involved with high school track and field, cross country and lifts weights. She is probably the healthiest eater of anyone I have met. She still cannot even lose a pound. I have researched and researched and we have tried many different things and she still cannot lose weight. She want to lose between 15 - 20 lbs. The only thing that has happened is that she has gained several pounds. Help! Any suggestions would be welcome.
TanisHubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:29 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
I am, obviously here.

My PCOS management is going well. In February, I lost 5 lbs!

YAY!

I want to lose another 5 lbs this month, but we'll see. I have a lot of travel coming up on the second half of March, so I won't be around much. But I will be putting my new habits to the test.

Still Paleo-like and still fine. I have lost cravings at some point, can't remember when. And BF is still doing this with me although his weight loss is slowing down. I think he thought he would be losing a ton of weight until he reached his goal... now he realizes (like I told him!) that it will take a little longer. But he continues to lose inches, so he's looking great.

What diet have you been using? I posted earlier today.........my 17 yr old daughter is struggling greatly with weight loss. We have tried everything.
TanisHubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #6  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Rana--Maybe you could give an example of your daily menu?

Hi Fatty (LOL) & Tannis. I would love to know if anyone with PCOS has gotten to their goal weight and what diet they were on!

As for me, I'm having hand or maybe just joint issues. I booked a doctors appointment but it's not for a couple weeks. I've got weakness in my hands, carpal tunnel issues, my fingertips feel sore and my skin stays indented if I push on it, and lastly, my fingernail are sorta white where they should be pink. Other odd soreness areas too.
I know my mother has arthritis and the indenting issue...but I don't know if there is more to it for me. sigh. Feeling old!

Hope everyone else is doing well.
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #7  

Hi Veggie!

I definitely have a looong way to go to my goal weight, but with the meds, it is coming off slowly. I'd like to know about different diets the other cysters may be using - I've seen multiple books about a "PCOS Diet", but I'm not sure how good it is and I cannot find anyone who has ever tried it.

I don't have any of the side effects you are experiencing, but my back aches from time to time - I think that's more from my need of a new mattress. :/
FattyMcFatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

hey all, I've been on 3FC for like, 8-10 years? I'm a senior member been on every diet out there. I'll lose about 20-30lbs then stall, then gain it back. I never took my doctor seriously and always stayed away from the drugs she wanted me on (metformin, byetta, etc). I kept trying to do it naturally with fad diets. The most damaging one I ever tried was Paleo... I GAINED 15lbs eating 1200-1400 calories per day and destroyed my thyroid. I'm now on Armour Thyroid and feel MUCH better. I'm to the point where I have normal energy levels and the outer edges of my eyebrows are growing back.

So now I'm actually listening to my doctor and taking metformin and eating linked-and-balanced meals, not eliminating any food groups. I really think all the fad diets have given me a bit of orthorexia, and I've been on them all: raw, vegan, vegetarian, Atkins, paleo, HCG, counting calories, weight watchers, etc.

So far I've lost 6lbs this week on 500mg metformin, and the only side effect is constipation (I'll take that over what it's actually supposed to be doing to me!!!), and my diet is balancing enough protein with 1-2 units of carbs per meal. I'm also taking B12 tongue strips but need to find a local place for B12 shots, since I'm already B12 deficient and metformin can make that worse.

Yeah so anyway, just checking in again Looking forward to chatting with everyone here.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #9  
Comes with Warning Label

S/C/G: 17st3/15st2/14st

Height: 5ft 7

New here, lost 10lbs in March sofar. currently at 15st 5lb. I currently don't take Metformin since it gives me horrible stomach upsets which is hard to live with to be fair. My periods have come back for the last 2 months (hopefully this will continue), which is good because we are trying for a baby. Not an astounding weightloss i know, but its going down slowly. Hoping to drop another 2-3 pounds before March ends, this way i will round the month off with a 2st Loss sofar (overall) (2st is 28lb)

Last edited by Sorrow; 03-25-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #10  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Sorrow-congrats on the 10lbs lost in March! That's great! Are you following a specific diet or is it just the Metformin that's helping with the weightloss?

Michelle-thanks for sharing your experiences I also checked out your facebook page. Will the doctor be upping your Metformin dose or are you sticking at 500mg?

Fatty-I hope the Metformin side effects are lessening for you. Ya, I doubt my aches and pains are PCOS related but it will be good to get the blood tests to confirm all is well.

Rana-Hope you are still doing well too!
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:45 AM   #11  
Comes with Warning Label

Thank you Veggidawg. no I am doing CWP Sole Source. the weightloss is apperently not as great as it is supposed to be according to my consultant.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone,

I'm a little late to the part this month, but here goes:

I'm here!!

My PCOS is going pretty good. I've managed to have two cycles back to back since I've been on this journey with no added medications. I finally have been getting the information I need to help with my PCOS when my last doctor (last saw her 4 years ago) gave me no info other than to lose weight. I've made an appointment with a new doctor and go see her on 4/8. I'm pretty excited and hopefully I will have good news that what I am doing is right and going good. I don't have any plans to get on BC or any other medications since my diet seems to have helped most of my PCOS symptoms. I am on a clean eating diet. It is a big change but I'm really liking eating real food heheh....I watch my carb intake because it seems like carbs tend to be a problem when it comes to weight loss. I try to eat mainly gluten free as well and watch my sugar intake even though I am only using natural sugars, nothing processed like regular sugar, or chemically produced sugars.

My goal for March has been to lose 5 lbs and work out more. I'm getting to where I am working out 5 days a week. I start to feel bad if I don't work out lol...so I guess that is good because I'm actually wanting to work out, which is a first for me. Hope everyone is having a good month even though it's almost over! :P
SamIAm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #13  
Comes with Warning Label

Hi Sam, glad to hear you are feeling better. I definitely thing that a Low GI diet is nice for ppl with PCOS. After jumping on the diet train (currently on the Cambridge diet) I've grown quite fond of gluten free and soy/goat milk (love substituting things and I can't imagine my fridge without soy milk) 5lb is a good goal and I am happy that you are hopeful, please let me know how you get on at your doc's!
Old 03-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/220/130

Height: 4' 11"

Hi there,
I'm new here and I know we are almost in April lol. But I wanted to join the group. I was diagnosed with pcos about 4 years ago after many blood tests. Finally my doctor prescribed me metformin to just regulate my period and loose some weight. I took it for about 2 weeks and I lost like 8 lbs. but then I was blessed with my first pregnancy. ( Romeo, now 2 going on 3) Two years later my husband and I decide to have another so I get on metformin again and Mayson was born last November. Now I want to take it again but just to lose weight. I've been reading here on all the success stories that many of you are having and I want to be part of them. So I was wondering if it is ok to take metformin and birth control at the same time? Is there any one else that is on this regimen?
Mamayezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:21 PM   #15  
Comes with Warning Label

Hi Marna, you are so lucky! I've lost over 28lbs sofar on my diet and no joy. I've gotten my referral now since you have to have a BMI of under 35 even be considered for fertility treatment here. I wish you the best of luck! losing weight with PCOS is a challenge at least for me because it doesn't just fall off for me (unlike my husband who sheds it REALLY quickly if he decides to lose some) Let me know how you get on ^_^

Good Luck x