3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support-70/)
-   -   Way TMI! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support/290714-way-tmi.html)

Mission Fat to Fab 12-17-2013 07:24 PM

Way TMI!

So I have a question for my fellow PCOS-ysters.

I have started getting my periods again since I went Paleo (before that I didn't have a period for more than a year and a half), however on more than one occasion i'm getting spotting at the same time each month rather than a proper menstruation. I keep craving carbs during the run up to the spotting, and I get lots of stomach cramps but just no actual period. Has anyone else found this to happen to them?

I know I'm not pregnant, because I have never had sex (and yes i'm nearly 30 I know how that sounds) so it can't be spotting because of that, even though most of google seems to suggest pregnancy.

I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas about this. I'm not on any medication, birth control or metformin, because of personal reasons. I suffer from PCOS and hypothyroidism and I'm very insulin resistant.

Munchy 12-17-2013 08:01 PM

I would call my gynecologist just to be sure.

PUPMOM5 12-17-2013 10:01 PM

Are you getting spotting in place of menses? That happens to me all the time. While I am on BCP, there is no "normal" for me, so unless I'm having pain in my ovaries, I just chalk it up to ol' PCOS. How long have you been having periods again?

shcirerf 12-18-2013 12:22 AM

Find yourself a good Gyno!

Mission Fat to Fab 12-18-2013 06:40 AM

There's my problem right there, i live in a small country and the only two gynos who are here are rubbish. i've been going to them on and off for the past 10 years and one just told me I don't have PCOS and I refuse to see him since, and the other basically told me to starve myself.

I started getting my periods again last June, and it was really painful and just awful, in fact I had to go to A&E because I was in so much pain. for months before I would get spotting in place of menses for about 3 months and then I got a proper period.

It's been happening again but I was hoping I would just get my proper period this month because I'm feeling so bloated and so icky. it's playing havoc with my skin and my moods - I've been in hiding for weeks and only go out if I really have to like if it's a good friend's birthday or something.

PUPMOM5 12-26-2013 02:13 PM

Having PCOS and dealing with gynos can be awful. I had a lot of bad ones, including (over the PHONE giving me test results, never wanted to see me for any follow-up appt or discussion): "You definitely have Pcos. You need to lose weight. You've probably tried everything, right? You should get weight loss surgery. That's all you can do." and the ******* who said the following: "You can't possibly know your ovaries hurt - most women don't know where their ovaries are" and then, while doing my pelvic exam, explained he would need a clean urine sample and (without telling me what that meant or what he wanted to do) shoved a catheter in me. So I feel you. I have a very nice obgyn now - but I know, unless I am having some sort of severe pain or if I'm not having any periods at all, there is nothing to be done.

If you're super worried, I would probably try to find somebody to see - maybe get a recommendation from a friend, if you can, or a reproductive endocrinologist who is much more likely to be educated about PCOS. But the spotting in place of menses and then months later, a heavy flow, has happened to me lots, especially when I was bigger. I use BCP to help with my PCOS and they sort of regulate TOM - I mostly get it every month now, and it's usually sort of middle of the range. It helps to keep a diary of sorts tracking these things. If you do decide to go to a Dr., it's nice to have (especially if you're going to a bad Dr., who might be dismissive).