PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 249.8/249.8/165

Height: 5'7"

Default New here. Diagnosed as PCOS and IR. Need motivation and help.

Name is Carri, 31. I've been having trouble with weight for a while and finally seen a doc that could give me a diagnoses. PCOS is what he started with, then determined it to be IR. I was prescribed Phentermine and Glumetza, but the Glumetza was WAY too pricey. So he put me on Metformin. I have taken the Phentermine and got my little bursts of energy, but I am scared to take the Metformin. I read all the "horror" stories about getting sick off of it. On top of it all, I work a VERY crazy schedule. One day I can be awake at 4am for work and the next I am not going in to work until 3pm or even midnight. So I can't find a time to take it at the same time every day. I also then don't eat the meals/snacks per day I am told to do. (I also work in a bakery, so that is hard too...)

I started to do my exercise last night, trying the C25K program. Doc put me on a Low Carb, High Protein diet.

I need help giving me ideas of foods to eat (I am REALLY picky,) when to take the meds and give me hope that the meds will not make me as sick as I think they will.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
carriboberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #2  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi Carri,

How are things going?

Did you start the Metformin over the weekend?
I know there was a slow release version of the medication that might be helpful...

Did you go out running again?
I did the program once and it was awesome.
I tried a second time and hurt my knee. Waah! I need to stay off pavement.

What are your favourite foods to eat? What are you picky about? LOL

Good luck!
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #3  

I have tried to run/walk again. I got a few minutes done and had to stop, not because I was over it. I was in pain and tired from working a crazy 8 hour shift.

I have started to take the Metformin, I took 500mg for 2 days and up it last night to the 1000mg. Haven't noticed any changes or illnesses yet, besides an upset stomach at work, but I think that was honestly because I was working like a crazy person... Who knew 3 pallets of bread would be so hard to work to the sales floor.

The only changes I have noticed on the Phentermine is that I can feel hungry, but my brain is like "nope, not yet... you're imagining that growl" and I go a while without eating... today 5am I had a granola/protein bar (I promise it was in my carb range the doc gave me) and then I worked all day without eating until 4pm, which I had a tuna fish sandwich (which was close to my carb range) and now it's dinner and I will be eating some steak, half a corn on the cob and a salad. I drink my water that is recommended and I have been avoiding soda, diet or otherwise for a couple days.

My favorite foods are chicken, broccoli, grapes, cherries, any fruit really, I love taco salad (more lettuce then chips.) I do love pasta, but sadly I cannot enjoy that much anymore. My absolute favorite meal is a BBQ meatballs on egg noodles with a veggie on the side. I'm sure the carbs in that are redonkulous, haha.

I, of course, love potatoes and need to find an alternative for that. I've heard turnips are okay for a replacement, but I have never tried them.

And I would LOVE an alternative sweetened tea (not like mcdonald's sweet, but just sweet enough to matter) recipe. Doc said Truvia, Splenda, and Stevia (in the raw or otherwise) are okay. But I need to stay away from aspartame.

My pickiness is that I don't like certain veggies or never tried them. I will not eat peppers of any kind, I do not like them. I won't eat mushrooms. Never had squash or zucchini. I can't eat cucumber, because it causes indigestion. If I knew how to prep veggies better, I would eat more variety. Like what does an eggplant taste like? Is there a certain way I should cook it?

Having a busy schedule causes me to not be hungry when I should. Last night I didn't eat until right before I went to bed, and I ate a breakfast sandwich sans half the bread/croissant.

I just really need ideas of what to eat, how easy it is to make and if its good as a left over (that's my picky thing, leftovers = blech.) Like I can pack a lunch and be like okay that sounds good, but it's going to get old fast having tuna or PB every day.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #4  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Holy Moly! You ate at 5am then not until 4pm? Crazzzzy!

I'm glad to hear the Metformin isn't causing any terrible upset for you. I hope it really helps.

And you like lots of 'good for you foods', that's great.

Eggplants are a hard one. You could slice it, oil it and bbq it until soft to add it to a sandwich...but, I usually boil it, drain it and mix it with bread crumbs, parsley and onion to make balls that are fried. Not really low carb in anyway! LOL

Honestly, I buy lots of prepackaged salads and frozen veggie mixes for stir fries.

Maybe you could pick up some cookbooks? That would give you some fun ideas on what to try next.
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #5  

I think all the hours between eating really does hurt, I hope you can find a way to at least grab a snack even if it's just some vegetables, or a piece of fruit. Luckily I work from home thank goodness so I can eat when I need to. I've lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks, kinda doing a mix of low carb and low GI. I've been able to eat fruits and still lose. Yay!
CourtneyTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #6  

Thanks, I am hoping to start to be able to plan my foods out. It is so hard to get a break when I am at work that I pass on my eating/snacking. I feel like my boss doesn't understand that a set schedule (not this open, close, overnight, close, open type thing) is necessary. It's so hard to take meds at the same time when I am sleeping or working when I would normally take my meds... I'm also scared to take meds while at work, just incase I do get sick.

Is there any meals you like, that I can try? I need more variety, otherwise chicken salads are going to be blah after awhile.