3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support-70/)
-   -   Need help regarding insulin resistance and diagnosis (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support/283711-need-help-regarding-insulin-resistance-diagnosis.html)

Jackie81 06-19-2013 10:14 PM

Need help regarding insulin resistance and diagnosis

For those diagnosed with insulin resistance what testing did you have done for diagnosis ? I went to my dr regarding excessive weight gain. Being tired after eating, irregular menstrual cycles etc and she did a bunch of hormone testing as well as fasting glucose and fasting insulin which all came back normal . I've read about the glucose tolerance testing but if my fasting insulin and fasting glucose levels are normal would that mean I'm not insulin resistant and I shouldn't bother with asking for the Gtt? Or can I still be insulin resistant ? Help !!!

immaculate 06-19-2013 11:15 PM

Post-prandial glucose levels are often affected before fasting glucose levels. If you are insulin resistant, it's possible that your glucose tolerance test will be abnormal even though your fasting glucose was fine.

Jackie81 06-19-2013 11:56 PM

Thank you does post prandial mean after drinking the glucose drink ?

65X65 06-21-2013 09:03 PM

Post prandial

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie81 (Post 4775800)
Thank you does post prandial mean after drinking the glucose drink ?

That is a medical term from the Latin...it is usually used to order or check blood glucose after a meal. Most commonly it is ordered to be drawn 2 hrs after finishing a meal. If your dr orders it the lab person will ask what time you finished eating and that info with the glucose level are used to check how your body responds to food.

threekidsandasheltie 06-23-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immaculate (Post 4775778)
Post-prandial glucose levels are often affected before fasting glucose levels. If you are insulin resistant, it's possible that your glucose tolerance test will be abnormal even though your fasting glucose was fine.

Yes, this. I dont have insulin resistence but my 16yo daughter does. We went thru months of testing and three different drs before the last one did a glucose tolerance test and finally said yes she has insulin resistence. She has been on metforim for 9 months now and along with a low carb diet she has finally lost over 50pounds. She still wants to loose another 45pounds or so. I am so thankful for her current dr because my daughter was so depressed about her weight before, she had been eating low carb and exercising for 5months and had lost nothing until she started the metforim

Jackie81 06-24-2013 10:47 PM

For those who had the Gtt how long was your test? Two hours or three?