PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/205/150

Default hot flashes and excessive sweating

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 7 yrs ago . Anyone know of anything i can do or take to reduce hot flashes or the sweating? Went to doctors to complain about hot flashes and the sweating and asked him what could be done to at least reduce them and he said nothing and that i just have to deal with them...aaarrrggghhh

Last edited by feeters; 02-28-2011 at 12:05 PM.
feeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

How old are you? I've never had a hot flash before but it is a sign of menopause. If you are younger, it might not be that though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Are you overweight? How old are you? Do you have any other issues?

How does the doctor know it's related to your PCOS? What if it is something different? My husband has MS and has had hot flashes because of side effects to his medication- they aren't just do to menopause or something!

The best thing to do for PCOS issues is to lose weight by eating a lean protein and high vegetable diet with limited fruits and complex carbs. I eat less than 100 grams of carbs a day to help with my PCOS.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #4  
Just Me

For me, it is a bit different. I found the best thing was eating whole foods and not being afraid of fruit and complex carbs. Especially beans which are a carb/protein. I get closer to 300-400g carb/day.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/205/150

I have suffered from the hot flashes since i was in my 20's .....was diagnosed with pcos when i was 32-33 ...just turned 40 recently and its gotten worse over the last 3 yrs especially the sweating. Ive been doing atkins and trying to lose the weight but have struggled alot. I could live with the hot flashes but the sweating is very embarrassing and getting in the way of my doing my job.
feeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

I think Atkins might be to extreme for you if you are struggling on it. You might want to look into south beach diet. My endo and primary recommended it for PCOS and it helped a lot.

What do you find yourself struggling with? Binging? Eating out? Staying away from carbs? Knowing what you struggle with can help us give you some ideas to help

I have PCOS also and it's also been tough for me to lose the weight- I have lost a decent amount but it's been a slow process. I tried Atkins and that didn't work. I did south beach and really liked it but recently switched to Medifast because I wanted something easier to follow with less meal preparation- on that alone I've lost 2 lbs a week since January. Maybe something like that would work for you.

I know for me I have to be super diligent or the weight doesn't go down. I can't slack, eat off plan, nothing. One day off plan messes me up so you definitely have to be super committed if you want to lose the weight. I lied to myself for years saying I was working hard when deep down I knew I wasn't (I'm not saying that's the case for you).
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #7  
Just Me

I used to sweat when I weighed a lot more but as I lost weight, that went away. Now it takes a lot to get me to sweat.

Have you had a physical recently? Blood tests done?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
How old are you? I've never had a hot flash before but it is a sign of menopause. If you are younger, it might not be that though.

My endocrinologist mentioned that sometime pituitary disorders are often misdiagnosed as PCOS, and in such cases he has seen menopause in patients as young as 16 yo.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #9  
You mad bro?

S/C/G: 228/164.6/128

I totally understand about the sweating, it's absolutely horrendous how much of an affect it has on your daily life. I'm hoping that it will get better as I lose weight, but I remember being 140lbs and sweating like crazy.

My favorite co-worker comment about my sweating is "Wow, why do you sweat so much, you're not even Italian".

It should get better with exercise and weight loss, but as for the hot flashes... I only experience them in the middle of the night and it's not bad enough for me to take much notice.
Laneyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #10  

I had a similar problem as you. I couldn't figure out why I was having hot flashing and sweating so much. I ask my endo and she said it was because I was overweight. Okay, granted, that is the case but I've been overweight most my adult life and it hasn't been an issue until recently. They ruled out pre-menopause. I'd suggest you get tested for that. One last thing, what meds are you on? That could be a factor. I was on Glumetza and discovered once I came off of it the sweating and hot flashes were gone. However, I gained a bit more weight so that sucks. Anyway, I wish you all the best and I hope you find out what's wrong.
Ravenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #11  

I know this is an old thread but I had the worst hot flashes, sweating, and it has already gotten better with low carbing, healthy clean food eating, an exercise. For anyone that deals with that too...
CourtneyTx is offline   Reply With Quote