PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #1  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Default PCOS - Wheat Belly vs. Just Cutting Carbs

I've been flipping through the book Wheat Belly and I wondered how many you have given up wheat and seen great results?

I know everyone here, pretty much, is cutting carbs but is cutting wheat another step in the right direction?

If yes, what did you replace wheat with? (rice? rye bread?)

Thanks.
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I eat high carb myself, mostly legumes, fruits, some grains (rice, millet, etc). What does wheat belly say ? I thought overall it was a low carb diet, I could be wrong.

I haven't given up wheat but I do try to get variety in the grains I do eat.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #3  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Wheat Belly says wheat is poison! LOL
Take it out of your diet and it will cure all sorts of things from diabetes and IBS to acid reflux and acne. You will lose lots of weight...of course!

Ok, it says to replace wheat with more of the other things you are eating (veggies and meat) or have rice, quinoa, legumes,etc. but not more that 1/2 cup per serving.

It just made me laugh because I picked up the book, after buying whole grain/ whole wheat bagels and pita bread...you just can't win!

Lots of reviews on amazon...
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #4  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiedawg View Post
I've been flipping through the book Wheat Belly and I wondered how many you have given up wheat and seen great results?

I know everyone here, pretty much, is cutting carbs but is cutting wheat another step in the right direction?

If yes, what did you replace wheat with? (rice? rye bread?)

Thanks.
I have not read Wheat Belly but I have given up wheat. My body just hates it and I suspect I have some form of wheat intolerance/sensitivity. I've been mostly wheat free since the first of the year and since then I have had...
No more tummy issues
No more bloating
No more aching joints
No more blood sugar craziness
No more headaches
AND I've lost 25 pounds...pretty much effortlessly.

For the most part, I have don't eat any grains at all, though I will occasionally have some gluten free products, stuff made from corn, and quinoa.

Somewhere around here there is a thread titled "Wheat Belly January" (or something close to that) where people are sharing their experiences with this w.o.e. (it's continued past January). You might want to hunt that down for more specific information than I can offer.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I gave it up too, but I will eat it once in a while.

Less bloating, less water retention, no blood sugar drops, etc.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #6  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I eat very little wheat. Not because it's wheat, but because it has more carbs than I can handle at a time.

I have definitely noticed less inflammation in my arthritic knees and less bloating with the lower carb. Maybe it's the lack of wheat. Maybe it's just less starch and sugar. I don't know.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote