PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #16  
IR/PCOS

S/C/G: 187lbs/ticker/143

Height: 5' 6.5

Astrophe - Bellydancing is a lot of fun! I've done in on a few occasions just for fun. Everyone in the class wore the coin belt scarfs and the sound they make when you're dancing really adds to the fun of it. Hope you enjoy it!

This week I am focusing on upping my protein and lowering my carbs. I am also making sure that I am conscious of my portion sizes.

Hope everyone has a good week!
Meeel4121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #17  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Soooooooo Astrophe? How was the bellydancing???? Was it a good workout?
Will you do it again?

Meel4121--how much protein are you trying to get daily? Favorite sources?
I've been eating a lot of tuna lately. The little single serving/flavored ones. Not super exciting but the serving size is perfect. I wish they had the same size cans of salmon...
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #18  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Quick check in -- Had to reschedule for the next class in the day rather than the evening. Registration full. So will try again!

In the meanwhile, doing well in other respects so go me!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:02 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 240/226/165

Hello, I'm new here...seeing some of you ladies' success stories is making me hopeful. I don't even know you and I am proud and happy for you!
I was diagnosed with PCOS at 19, now 22. Tried birth control, it was okay...I was on sprintec and it gave me periodic anxiety attacks. I think it also made me gain weight (about 20 lbs.) and when I came off it my acne just exploded. I seem to have that under control now, but after losing 15 lbs. I seem to have plateaued. My blood sugar was fine at my last checkup (woefully about 3 years ago--It cost me a fortune and I just can't afford it) but my periods are all messed up. Up to 9 months without and then BOOM, and it lasts up to a month. My testosterone was also a little high (60) so I do get a few whiskers on my jawline and chin. Very little acne now though.
I have recently started counting calories and I try to be more active, but I am naturally pretty lazy. Most of my exercise comes from work (softlines merchandiser, and they run my butt off...not literally unfortunately) but its not enough. I also do the Wii fit, but again, not enough. I've been feeling a little down lately, but also hopeful. I want to be the healthy person I picture myself as, not the person I currently look like in pictures. I've been fat my whole life and I'm just tired of it. I'm getting married in a year and I would like to be down to about 165. Any helpful hints or ideas on staying motivated?
knelson095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #20  
Starting over

Hi Knelson095!
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!!

Motivation can be brutal! Definitely, checking on these boards and posting daily is good. I also started this Beck Diet Solution workbook, which teaches you how to diet. If you start a specific diet plan, find a buddy or group that are also on it for support...

Good luck & so glad to have you join us!!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 218/190.4/155

Height: 5'7"

Hi Knelson - welcome! We are glad to have you. In terms of checking your blood sugar, if you can't get in for a check-up, I would recommend looking for the a1c test you can do at home - they sell them at wal-mart for about $8. A1C is good because it gives you a sense of what your overall blood sugar has been over a three month period, so much more a bigger picture than just checking your blood glucose level. My gynocologist recommended I check a1c and I did research online and found out about at home test. You have to prick your finger (that's the hardest part!) put two drops on a sheet, mail it in and withing 5-6 days they can email you the results. Just something that might be helpful. Also, maybe help in motivation - trying to lower your A1C level (if it is high) is another goal beyond the scale.

Astrophe - sorry you didn't get in on the belly dancing - next time!

VeggieDawg - hi! How's it going?

Meeel - how is your higher protein , lower carb approach going? I am doing something very similar. What are some of your go-to breakfasts and snacks? I've been eating lots of greek yogurt, beans, lentils, seeds, and nuts.

I'm happy to report I am down to 207 - only 8 lbs until my first goal of onederland! That's 11 lbs lost in 8 weeks - pretty darn good for the challenges of IR, PCOS and low thyroid. I just posted a longer post in the mini goal section about what I have been doing that is working for me. The more I am focused on being intentional about my food and exercise, the more and I lose, and the more motivated I get. It is a very positive cycle and I hope I can maintain this momentum.

It's a beautiful day - I'm going out for a run!
SuperCecilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #22  
IR/PCOS

veggiedawg - where do you live? Here in Australia, we have salmon available in tins similar to tuna. I'm too much of a fan of the fresh stuff though to ever try it though ;-)

I don't have a specific aim at the moment (for how much protein). I've hit 100 a few times this week.
At the moment I've been having an omelette every morning (either egg whites or whole eggs, baby spinach levels and a tin of tuna). Lunch I've been getting a baby spinach salad with feta and pumpkin (yum!), and then dinner is whatever is being prepared (I live at home with my family). I have a massive sweet tooth, so after dinner I've been having a protein shake (chocolate flavoured) with a teaspoon of psyllium husk (for fibre) with milk. YUM! and full of protein.

I'm trying to change my eating habits. So I've been focusing on building every meal around a protein source. I've only done it for a week now, but my way of thinking has changed. I'm not longer focusing on what I'm missing out on. Instead, it's like a puzzle, working out what protein I want and then what goes well with it.

Of course, tonight is my first real challenge (eating wise) this week - my friend's 21st birthday party. Red velvet cake, home made Italian cooking. I'm equal parts excited and terrified, LOL!

Hope that ramble gave you some food for thought (pun intended, lol).

Knelson095 - welcome! my story is VERY similar to yours. I was diagnosed at 19 and am now going through a rough patch with it at 21 (22 in June :-) )
I found that consistent exercise really helped me. I've never been diagnosed but anxiety runs through my family in addition to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Learning to run and actually getting to the point where I got the endorphin kick, was like coming up to breathe for the first time in a long time.
Unfortunately, after I went on Yasmin all of that went out the door and I've had serious anxiety and bouts of depression since.
So, regular exercise is a good starting point. Even just a 30min walk every second day will make a difference :-)
Old 04-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 267/257/140

Height: 5'5

Who is here this month?
1. Just joined this site! And happy to see a support group for PCOS!

How are you?
2. I started off the month pretty good, but a close friend is in the hospital and not expected to make it, so its been hard...

How was last month?
3. Well 3 months ago or so I was put on a dairy free/gluten free diet to see if it would help the tummy troubles I've been having (partly due to having my gallbladder out a few years ago) and in the first month I lost a total of 10 lbs! But in the ensuing months I am back to the scale not budging.

How is your PCOS management last month?
4.I was diagnosed with PCOS years ago and was intially put on birth control (Yasmin if I remember correctly) but after a few years I stopped it because it seemed to make me gain weight and it would often make me quite nauseous. Since then my current doctor put me on Metformin and Wellbutrin to help with weight loss, which worked quite well. But since my stomach issues have been flaring up I haven't taken any meds for the past year. Without the medication I tend to go about 9 months without a period.

What are you going to work on in April?
5. I am trying to not get discouraged by the scale not moving and keep up eating better (still gluten & dairy free) and exercising (I walk for about 30 mins 5 days a week and do strength training 2 days a week). I also plan on going to see a naturopathic doctor to see if there are some other ways to better deal with PCOS!
NorIdaGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #24  
Starting over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeel4121 View Post
veggiedawg - where do you live? Here in Australia, we have salmon available in tins similar to tuna. I'm too much of a fan of the fresh stuff though to ever try it though ;-)

Of course, tonight is my first real challenge (eating wise) this week - my friend's 21st birthday party. Red velvet cake, home made Italian cooking. I'm equal parts excited and terrified, LOL!
Hi Meeel4121! Yes, we have salmon in tins here too. (Canada)
And I do buy them. It just that some companies have come out with perfect little single serving tins of tuna (85 grams/3 oz) that are flavoured (with chili peppers, or dill & lemon, etc.) And I wish they had the same for salmon--which is only sold in the regular 2 serving size tins.
I agree, the fresh stuff is so much better! ....especially with a coating of barbeque sauce and maple syrup....Mmmmmm! LOL

How was the party? My test will be this afternoon, as we are getting fish 'n chips. It's a fish fry to support the local fire station. Sounds like they offer a few sides too, and cake. The kids can have the cake, but I'll need to eyeball my portions. I already figured out my meal plan of the day...so all my carbs are gone in that one meal! (fries and fish breading)

NorIdaGrrrl- Good morning! Happy to have you join in!

So sorry about your friend.

Are you still off dairy and gluten? Do you find it hard planning meals without it?
Do you walk outside or on a treadmill?

Let us know what your naturopath says...

SuperCecilia- Hey! Congrats again on your weightloss!

I'm still nursing a sore knee, so my C25K is done. Thinking about getting my bike fixed up...I haven't been on it in years! (just your basic mountain bike)

I'm doing ok, diet wise. Hoping to post a new weight soon. My scale is a little wonky, so I want to be sure. Added serving size portions of lentils and tofu to the freezer this week...Oooo, the excitement! ha!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

There's a lot of travel in my month of April so I am trying to do things differently.

Travel has always been the kicker for me -- it was an excuse to eat more than I normally would (Because, whoops, you're traveling!) and of course, to eat things that I normally wouldn't (toast with breakfast!).

So, while my ways will not be 100% on track (that I know as much) I'm trying to make small but good decisions. I skipped dinner one night last week, which based on all the food we eat when we travel, is not a big deal. I didn't die of hunger. I'm still here! I also picked a good "healthy" snack for "lunch" on the plane, rather than going for the sandwich (bread and cheese are not part of my meals right now) or the cookie.

I've also turned down desserts and wine.

No, I'm not going to lose weight this way, but maybe it'll stop the creep!

I'm taking work out clothes for next week's trip too. I may not burn everything I eat off, but I will at least work on the IR stuff -- which is just as important.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #26  
IR/PCOS

veggiedawg - I find the flavoured tuna tins too sweet (as in that artificially over-sweetened taste), but that's properly due to the brand I was tasting (and that I only had it once). I've NEVER thought to try maple syrup with salmon. I'm imagining some really good Canadian maple syrup now *mouth waters*

The party was good! I wasn't as strong as I had hoped I would be. I did have some corn chips. And some red velvet cake. And some cake pops. But, it was a one off. And I didn't gorge myself, which is a small step in the right direction.

How did you go? Can I ask, what is fish fry? I have family in Seattle, so I am slightly familiar with the term, but don't actually know what it is? Is it just battered and fried fish (which is would fish and chips equates to in Australia).

NorIdaGrrrl- Welcome! I'm really sorry to hear about your friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend!

How have you found gluten and dairy free? I get slight reflux, so I had stopped having dairy. But this past week I've reintroduced it as a means of upping my protein intake (skim milk, I have learnt, has a significant amount of protein in it). For the first couple of days my stomach was horrible, but it seems to get getting used to the daily glass of milk.
On the flip side, with cutting down my carbs I've unintentionally cut down my gluten intake. I'm amazed at how less bloated I am.

Rana - I use the 'I'm travelling so I can eat whatever because it's convenient' excuse too. But, it sounds like you have the right mindset, which is great! Hope you're enjoying your travels!

Check in
- I hopped on the scale this morning. I'm 3 pounds down! Whilst I am pleased with that number, I know that this is mainly TOM water weight loss.
I'm focusing more on the fact that I had a good week last week (ignoring an extra slice of pizza on Friday night and the party on Saturday night). I feel like I have a better mind set. The week before last was horrible (depression and anxiety wise). I have a strong suspicion that this might have been TOM induced.

Hope everyone's week is going well!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #27  
Starting over

[QUOTE=Meeel4121;4708120]veggiedawg -
How did you go? Can I ask, what is fish fry? I have family in Seattle, so I am slightly familiar with the term, but don't actually know what it is? Is it just battered and fried fish (which is would fish and chips equates to in Australia).

Check in
- I hopped on the scale this morning. I'm 3 pounds down! QUOTE]

Yup! Battered and Fried Fish and Chips! We call it that too.
If you were going to a restaurant, you'd say, "I'm going for fish and chips" but a fish fry would be more of a neighbourhood party/gathering type event....like a barbeque.

I did ok with planning what I was going to eat at the fish fry and I only had a salad for supper. BUT, it didn't seem worth the splurge of greasy calories! Ha! We were glad to support the cause though.

Congrats on losing the 3 lbs! Isn't it awesome seeing that scale actually move?!

I taped a pilates tv program and tried it this afternoon. OMG! It is brutal!
I've never done pilates before. I could hardly follow the woman doing the beginners moves!

I hope everyone is doing well!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #28  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Quick check in:

I'll try to catch up later. Just anxious... eldercare land = cancer biopsy for mil. She's delicate so... stress!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #29  
IR/PCOS

Astrophe - I hope everything is okay! Aged care is never easy. I hope everything works out for the best.

veggiedawg - okay, I get the difference now! Congrats with sticking to your plan!
I have done Pilates before, lol, but I've never been successful at it. I actually have the worst flexibility. It is supposed to best great for you though. I'm sure you'll adapt to it. Let me know how it goes!

Check in It's Friday night here. It's been a long week. I might have overeaten some Indian food. Not majorly. But it wasn't a portioned meal. I never thought that it wouldn't be. But after a long week of being 100% on plan and on a day where I got up to 5:30am to go to the gym, then spent all day at uni studying and with 1000 calories to burn on dinner, I suppose that I haven't made that much of a mess for myself.

Does you guys allow yourselves a 'cheat meal'? I've attempted it before in the past and it became a quick excuse to valid overindulgences.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #30  
Starting over

Astrophe-How are things going with your travels and MIL's biopsy?

Meeel4121-I haven't planned a cheat meal...yet! I thought I'd be having one yesterday because it was my MIL's birthday weekend and she mentioned ordering food, but she ended up cooking. Much easier for me! I had non-whole grain but I kept my portions in check and was happy. I also brought some carrots and a banana for the trip and that help me not be starving by supper. The only thing I wish I had brought was water. (she's in the city and my body does not like the fluride in the water)

I am happy to say I actually lost my first 10 lbs!!! YAY!
(of course, I'm the only one who can tell!)

Sad, but motivation for losing more:
I have been trying to do some pilates and there are certain moves I can't do. My four year old states, "Maybe it's because your fat." Thanks.

Also, like I said, we went over to MIL's place. She told me this week they weighed her at the hospital and she's about the same weight as me...and the same height. It's a real eye-openner to see what your weight looks like on someone else. My brain doesn't see myself looking like that. However, we do carry the weight in the same places....yup, motivation!

Well, I hope you all are doing great!