Growing frustration - can anyone recommend a dr in Columbus, Ohio?

• Hi all

I have been dealing with PCOS for about 10 years now. About 5 years ago I lost about 70 lbs with diet (no processed foods, no white carbs, etc) and exercise changes. I broke my foot pretty badly, couldn't work out for about 8 months, fell into a depression, put the weight back on. For the last year I have been eating pretty good, and exercising - I even walked a 1/2 marathon last year! Currently I go to a boxing class 3-5 times a week and elliptical 1-2 a week and eat a pretty clean diet. I can't seem to lose a pound to save my life.

I just moved to Columbus last year and haven't had time to find a dr. I found one by referral at the beginning of Jan but couldn't get in until yesterday! Then I found out when I was there, my dr is moving to a more homeopathic practice at the end of the month - and her advice was to go vegan to get my PCOS control and reversed. "Eat 8 servings of grains a day". This has me freaked out, everything I have been told by every dr over the last 10 years is low carb,low carb, low carb. She told me, eat potatoes, pasta, bread. I am so frustrated and scared to eat a diet like that and blow up more. I asked her at the end for a referral to an endo - she reluctantly agreed "they are just going to give you drugs". I told her I am ready to break, you can only stay motivated without results for so long and I need a second opinion.

Is anyone in Columbus that has found a fabulous general dr or endo?

Thank you!
  • I don't, but I agree with you that 8 servings of grains, even if you are vegan, is not the way to go for PCOS patients (usually).

There are some great books out there that you can try and if your doctor recommends an Endo, make sure it's a REPRODUCTIVE endo, because that matters.

My current endo isn't prescribing me drugs (your doctor is incorrect that's all they do) because my diet and exercise are working for my body.
  • Hi Rana - thanks for your post and advice. I did find a reproductive endo today - that strangely has a family history with us that I didn't expect! And he's able to see me in 2 weeks. Hopefully he can help me figure things out
  • Quote: Hi all

I have been dealing with PCOS for about 10 years now. About 5 years ago I lost about 70 lbs with diet (no processed foods, no white carbs, etc) and exercise changes. I broke my foot pretty badly, couldn't work out for about 8 months, fell into a depression, put the weight back on. For the last year I have been eating pretty good, and exercising - I even walked a 1/2 marathon last year! Currently I go to a boxing class 3-5 times a week and elliptical 1-2 a week and eat a pretty clean diet. I can't seem to lose a pound to save my life.

I just moved to Columbus last year and haven't had time to find a dr. I found one by referral at the beginning of Jan but couldn't get in until yesterday! Then I found out when I was there, my dr is moving to a more homeopathic practice at the end of the month - and her advice was to go vegan to get my PCOS control and reversed. "Eat 8 servings of grains a day". This has me freaked out, everything I have been told by every dr over the last 10 years is low carb,low carb, low carb. She told me, eat potatoes, pasta, bread. I am so frustrated and scared to eat a diet like that and blow up more. I asked her at the end for a referral to an endo - she reluctantly agreed "they are just going to give you drugs". I told her I am ready to break, you can only stay motivated without results for so long and I need a second opinion.

Is anyone in Columbus that has found a fabulous general dr or endo?

Thank you!

that is the worse information I have ever heard. carb is so not good for people with pcos.

I have been following the Ideal protein diet for six weeks. I have lost more in six weeks than I have in over a year with a personal trainer 3X week and 2 bootcamps. I have not felt this good in a very long time. Check the forums here on Ideal protein.

Also, don't give up on finding the right doctor. I am older, closer to 50 and the right doctor who really understands PCOS makes all the difference.

good luck
  • update
    well, I have been seeing an endo in Westerville - Dr. Nash at Reproductive Gyno. Funny enough, he practices in Akron as well and was my sister's doc for infertility over the last decade - how crazy is that? He did a SLEW of tests on me and found that I AM IR so I am now on 1500 MG Met a day. It seems to be helping somewhat. He freaked out as well when I told him about the high carb diet, so I am glad to find him. We will see where my journey goes!!