PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 09:48 AM   #1  

Question what plan do you follow?

Hello everyone:

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 5 years ago.

For the past 3 weeks I have been following the Atkins plan but I am starting to get bored with it. Just wondering what plan do you follow and what you enjoy about it?

Thanks.

Nancy
Old 05-14-2003, 09:22 AM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Hi Nancy

I also have PCOS, diag. when I was 19 (now 38) I follow Atkins, and yup, I got very bored with it as well. But Im still on it.

Ive added fruits (berries and melons) and Ive started experimenting with recipes. Im still loosing 2-3lbs a week with the added carbs. Usually between 30 & 50 carbs per day before subtracting the fibre.

I was about to give up about a month ago due to boredum, but I hit the recipe sections on the lowcarb thread, and the atkins site, and found some very tastey recipes that brought me out of the funk.

Hope this works for you
Robin
Old 05-14-2003, 09:36 AM   #3  

I follow Atkins too and yes, the induction is very difficult because it seems you go into diet boredom. Switching things around has really helped me stay with the plan and I did as Robin did, looked for different recipes and incorporated them into my meal plans. I am about the same amount of carbs as Robin per day and drinking a ton of water.

At the end of the day, I know for myself, that I MUST follow a low carb plan to feel healthy and in control. And to me, that's the best success of all
Old 05-30-2003, 12:30 AM   #4  

Angry atkins and metformin

Hi,

I'm new to the list. I was just diagnosed with possible PCOS. Doctor is 100% certain and I am just waiting for my final test, which will be an ultrasound.

I was on my 8th day of induction when she started me on metformin. I've had the usual side effects, plus I starved all evening.

Do any of you take metformin and do Atkins? I've found the day with my medicines to be the hardest of all. My doctor did tell me I had to eat enough to keep my blood sugar from dropping too low, but that a low carb diet was a good thing to follow.

Thanks,
Mommyoftwo
Old 05-30-2003, 08:43 AM   #5  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

nope, I dont take anything for my pcos. Thankfully, I have gotten it somewhat under control with my diet. Ive been regular for 5 months now. First time in my life without the aid of bc pills.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:30 PM   #6  

I follow ww and enjoy it very much. I control my insulin through glucophage and exercise. I control my cycles through herbs.

I enjoy the variety and being able to eat anything I want, I enjoy my carbs very much and I dont eat meat very often at all.

Im unable to stay on atkins long term and my insulin was very high. So I control my insulin with medicine so I can do it for life.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:33 PM   #7  

I tried ww for a while a few years ago, but I don't stick to it very well. However, I have a friend who loves ww.

I've upped my carbs today. So far I've had about 31. ...all whole grains and fruits + my lower carb veggies and meat.

I don't want to end up taking insulin shots like my dad does. So I am really hoping to control this with meds, diet and exercise.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:09 PM   #8  

autumn s~
could you tell me what herbs you are taking to reguate your cycle? i just got off bcp's and am now Rx free, but i know my cycle will get all crazy again. am looking for something all natural. thx soo much- you can e-mail me if you like, [email protected]
again, thanks!!!
Old 05-30-2003, 04:15 PM   #9  

Hi Sandy,

You've brought me to an interesting question. My husband asked me if I would always have this and I told him yes, that it was controllable more so than curable. Is that correct? That is what the doctor led me to believe anyway.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:18 PM   #10  

mommyoftwo~
i dont think i have the answer you're lookin for. my question was only reg irregular mens. cycle and herbs to regulate it. sorry.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:12 PM   #11  

snflwr and mommyoftwo-

Sorry for taking a bit to get back to you, I have been very busy lately.

I take "Nature's Herbs" dong quai 500mgs,"Nature's Way" vitex 400mgs both capsule forms, bought them from a local herb store, the bottle says to take much more but I only take 1 capsule a day of each, I also take it on an empty stomach when I first wake up and wait to eat for about an hour.

I take vitex everyday including when af is here and I take dong quai everyday except when af is here, dong quai is a blood thinner and it will make you bleed more. Within 10 days I had af on my own and the next month I ovulated on cd12 I got pg but m/c (Im a frequent miscarrier) the next cycle (my rest cycle from ttc) I Oed on cd 12 again, this cycle right now I Oed on cd13 and am on my 2ww currently. My lp is 14 days and I only bleed for 2 to 3 days now instead of 7 like I use to. I never use to ovulate or get af on my own at all.

With the glucophage my insulin is normal now which took care of the dark patches, ww is taking care of my weight problem, and the herbs brought my cycles back and Im oing which took care of my slight hirutism and my acne. I basically feel pcos free, I just have to take a few meds and herbs to do it. They are definitely my miracle herbs, If you take these and get preggo be sure to stop them once you get a +hpt.

Good Luck and be sure to post how you do with them

Last edited by Autumn S; 05-31-2003 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:47 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally posted by mommyoftwo
Hi Sandy,

You've brought me to an interesting question. My husband asked me if I would always have this and I told him yes, that it was controllable more so than curable. Is that correct? That is what the doctor led me to believe anyway.
You are correct. I had the same discussion with my RE about a month ago..

Amy
Old 06-02-2003, 11:43 PM   #13  

Post Sandy's herbal question...

Sandy,

As Autumn S posted, vitex and dong quai are can be useful pcos herbal remedies...

You might also want to check out another thread on these PCOS pages entitled 'Herbal Treatments?' to see what others are doing to control pcos symptoms with herbs and supplements.

Be well,
NJCyster
Old 06-04-2003, 07:07 PM   #14  

Wow. I haven't tried any of these herbs. I didn't even know they existed.

I'm really confused. All symptoms point to PCOS and I have every symptom except ammenorrhea and no cysts just enlarged ovaries. (I have AF, but my cycles have begun to vary from 28 to 48 days.)

The meds are helping control my blood sugar and I feel better. I don't go back to the doctor for a month. So I don't have a clue what is wrong or where to go from here.

I did find a 1500 and an 1800 calorie exchange diet. Will either one of those work? I'll share either one or both.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:12 AM   #15  

Hello I'm just going to jump right in here! I was diagnosed with PCOS last year, I went to a GYN for the first time, and thank goodness she is a "whole care" physician. As a large woman, I had been too embarassed to go see a doctor in years, and had never seen a woman's doctor before. My housemate ganged up on me with my two blood sisters (we've adopted each other) and made me an appointment where she goes. She is also a sizeable woman, so I figured it would be okay. But, I was scared, I was afraid that the doctor would find something horrible, like cancer, as I had not had a period in years. I should also mention that I had recently devloped a brown splotch on the side of my neck that I thought was some kind of dry discoloured skin. It turned out, Dr Noonan is an excellent doctor and a fine woman too. She invited my friend to come into her office while she talked to me about the info I'd given her nurse, and even let her be in the exam room (behind a curtain) with me. I was impressed by her thorough questioning. When I went back for more testing, she told me about PCOS, that she had noticed the blotch and that was a clue, and the fasting test they did that day ended up confirming it. I appreciated that at no time did she say ":You must lose weight, all your problems are because you are fat!". I did/do want to lose, she recommended Sugarbusters and got me on BC to get my periods working again. A year later..I stopped doing Sugarbusters last Sept, but recently got back on it and have lost 21 lbs in five weeks. I've been too broke to see her since last July, and I'm afraid that I've screwed up by not taking the pills when I couldn't afford them. But the blotch is gone, and I will always be grateful that she told me about this. Diabetes runs in my family, although I didn't know it until this all came up.

WHEW!!! Anyway, that's my story, it's nice to meet you all and I look forward to getting to know everyone better!!
Closed Thread