Insulin Resistance, OGTT question

• Hello,
    I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and had an OGTT last week.
    But I have to wait 2 more weeks for an appointment to get the results.

And my question might be weird, but do elevated levels of blood sugar after 2.5h in the test mean anything?
    I don't know how high my blood sugar was, but they said before taking blood I could go home if my blood sugar is normal. It was not and I had to stay longer.

A valid answer would be "just wait for your appointment", but it is bothering me so much.

I understand that abnormal high values during the test indicate insulin resistance/diabetes, but I don't know what it means when it is elevated longer than normal. Or is a slow decrease of the blood sugar also a sign of a possible insulin resistance?

I wish the nurse wouldn't have mentioned that it was still to high at the point, I wouldn't worry so much..
  • If it remains high that's another sign that there is insulin resistance or diabetes.
  • Your blood sugar level should be back to normal 2 hours after eating. If not if means either your body is not responding to insulin, or your body is not making enough insulin.

Theres a great website that answered all my questions. i can't post links yet but you can type: phlaunt blood sugar 101 into google and it should be the first link. Some of the information is outdated, but overall its a solid overview for beginners about blood sugar in very easy to understand terms.
  • A normal, healthy person has elevated blood sugar after eating and would have elevated blood sugar after an OGTT. What's abnormal in a person with insulin resistance is how long it takes your body to regulate the blood sugar spike and bring the levels back down. If your cells are not taking up the glucose after you ingest the drink your body is not responding to the insulin spike you experienced when you first ingested the drink. Insulin is what tells your cells to let the glucose in so it can be utilized for fuel. If it's still floating around in your blood 2 hours later the insulin didn't work effectively.

When you test a diabetic person for a fasting glucose their blood sugar is usually elevated too...because even after 12 hours they still have glucose in their blood from a meal.

Does that answer your question?