PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 11:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/162.5/110-120

Height: 5' 0"

Default Glucophage dosage???

Hi, Everyone! I'm new here and new to the whole insulin resistance thing although not new to dieting at all. My doctor finally discovered the IR in me and I'm taking 500 mg of XR at night before bed. I was just wondering what dosages others are taking and when. Is it helping get rid of the fat you're carrying around your belly at all?

Thanks for the info! I just want to be as educated as possible so I can finally get rid of this flab that doesn't seem to want to go away.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:24 PM   #2  

I recently went to my doctor and she had me go for a 3 hour glucose test-- boring!! she wants to put me on Glucophage, but doesn't even have the results yet- I guess that doesn't matter. Can you tell me if you had/have any side effects from this? I am actually looking forward to starting on it to lose some of this weight. Are you on any low-carb diet? if so, which one.

Sorry for all the questions
Old 05-21-2003, 02:38 PM   #3  

Sorry for not responding sooner, I haven't been online for a bit. My dr wanted me to try a dosage of 1/2 pill w/breakfast, but it gave me such diarrhea that I stopped taking it. He asked me to give it a try again with a dosage of 1/2 pill right before bed and then to increase it to a whole pill before bed if there weren't any side effects. I don't know why, but taking it at night was a miracle. I didn't have any of the side effects this time. So I'm still at 1 pill before bed.

I'm not really following any diet, just watching what I'm eating and how much. I noticed my sweet cravings aren't so bad anymore and the fat around my stomach is finally shrinking. I'm doing the Firm tapes and walking for exercise.

I hope this helps you somewhat.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:51 PM   #4  

Thanks JuJuBee-

That info does help. I was speaking with my doc today and she told me to take this with a big meal, that it must be taken with food. She did warn me about the diarrhea and she also told me that it should help with getting rid of my stomach flab. We shall see. I also have the FIRM tapes, I love them when I can do them. Since I got laid off from my full time job everyone has been wanting me to take them here and there, I don't mind, but it leaves me no time for the tapes. I guess I will have to start getting up at 5 a.m. and start doing them again because I did feel better when I did them. I am trying to do the Atkins program, this has been my first day-- so far so good.

Thanks for taking the time to get back with me, hope to chat again soon.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:14 PM   #5  

Angry

Hi JuJuBee,

I just started taking 500mg's a few days ago and I can confirm that if you take it immediately after a meal, and preferably in the evening, the side effects are not that drastic. I experience a little nausea and a little diarrhea, but nothing to write home about. I was curious to know, however, will you be increasing your dosage or staying at 500mg's? My doctor prescribed 500mg's for the first week, 1000mg's for the second week, and then 1500mg's the third week and to continue at 1500mg's after that. I was just wondering why everyone seems to be getting different dosages...is it because of the severity of the insulin resistance?
Old 05-28-2003, 09:57 AM   #6  

Hi, Kick and Bookworms!

This is going to sound crazy, but I actually don't have IR after all. I suppose my dr didn't explain things to me very well the first time. He believes I don't respond to insulin the way the body should and am predisposed to become IR. What exactly that means, I'm not sure, but he seems to know what he's doing. The weight I've been carrying around my middle is finally shrinking and my sweet cravings aren't so severe. I'm not going to increase my dosage but was told to try moving it around to different times during the day to help w/the night cravings or to try taking 1/2 pill at lunch and 1/2 at dinner. I haven't done either yet. My dr did warn me that if your dosage of glucophage is too high it kind of defeats the purpose by making you hungrier and sleepy after meals. If you notice any of that when you increase your dosage, talk to your dr.

Kick: I've found that you have to say no to people sometimes and do things for yourself. I resigned from my job last year due to the stress and my husband's work schedule and wound up in the same situation of driving people places and running errands for everyone. Your health and well being are much more important than being a taxi driver. I hope that doesn't sound harsh, I'm sorry if it does. I tried Atkins 2x and just couldn't get past the first week. I don't usually eat bread, but that's what I craved most. I hope it works for you.

Well, I didn't mean for this to be so long. Good luck to both of you and I hope to chat again soon. I'm off to do my Firm cardio tape!!!
Old 05-30-2003, 12:37 AM   #7  

I was recently diagnosed and started out at 850 mg a day and I am supposed to double that next week. The side effects are horrible but my doctor assures me that they will ease up by the end of the week. I'm praying she is right.

Was anyone given any idea of the amount of carbs they needed to eat while taking metformin?
Old 05-30-2003, 09:19 AM   #8  

Smile

Hello Ladies,

Well, it's been about a week since I started on 500mg's of metformin and my minimal side effects (a little diarrhea and nausea) have completely passed. I feel great and in fact, I hadn't noticed a decrease in appetite or anything that I was supposed to feel this past week. Today, however, I threw out half my breakfast because I just wasn't hungry! For those who know how much I love food and am ALWAYS hungry, this is a big deal!

So tomorrow I start on 1000mg's and I anticipate I will have some pretty bad side effects, but I'm more prepared now because the first week hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be.

In regards to your question, Mommyoftwo...my gynecologist who prescribed the metformin for me recommended a low carb diet but didn't go into much detail except that I should stay away from refined flour and sugar, potatoes, corn, and other foods with a high GI. You can fine a pretty GI chart on the internet. What I do is stick mostly to protein, veggies, and dairy, and if I eat carbs, I make sure it's whole-grain. I'm not one for counting carb grams or restricting myself all the time, but I think it's important to make the healthiest choice possible at each meal. Hope this helps a little!
Old 05-30-2003, 11:18 AM   #9  

Thanks BookWorms. (I love books too.) I've been doing Atkins but 20 carbs or less a day aren't cutting it with the medication added. I wasn't eating carbs at every meal. So today I've decided to do similar to what you said.

I'm pulling together a hodge podge of information. I'm going to definitely keep the carbs in check, but I know I'm going to have to eat enough to not fall out. I'm tried to find a copy of a 1600 calorie diabetic diet with little luck. So I will probably call back my doc and ask her for one. Hopefully that will give me a range to aim for.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:32 PM   #10  

I take 2000mgs of gluc xr, it took about nine months to get rid of the stomach troubles and I dont have any problems now.

I havent noticed any help with weight loss except it took away my carb cravings so Im able to stay on a diet easier.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:44 PM   #11  

Hi girls !!

Well I have been on Metformin for two weeks now and this week I have to up my dosage to 1000 mgs. I have been taking one at night after dinner, now I don't know when to take the other one. My doc told me to take it when you have a fairly large meal, I guess maybe I will try it at lunch since I am not big on breakfast. As far as the Atkins plan, I was doing so well, then my kids wanted to go get ice cream and needless to say I had some, but I couldn't finish it because I really didn't want it, so I guess I will start over again tomorrow.

JuJuBee, thanks for the words of advice regarding being a taxi driver- I really do appreciate it. Since you have been through the same thing you know what I am going through and I will take your advice and say NO to people.

Mommyoftwo- If you get your hands on the 1600 calorie diabetic diet could you please pass along some info to me? I would appreciate it.

Thanks for listening and hope to chat with you all again soon
Closed Thread