PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 205-135 Maintaining since '10

Height: 5'1

i haven't intentionally stopped eating wheat, but since about the new year, i've pretty much had wheat once or twice. ...i've been doing all my baking with flaxmeal, oatbran, buckwheat, coconut flour, almond meal, and cornmeal and i can't say for certain if i've noticed a difference, however i don't plan on eating wheat any time soon. i have to agree that my appetite seems to be a lot more stable, however i'm not sure if that's due to my increased focus on protein intake (my rule is at least 40grams of protein per meal).

one thing regarding the pro organic comment...i don't think it matters so much as to weather the grain is organic as it does the species of grain. 95% of wheat products out there are (organic or not) are made with dwarf wheat (Triticum aestivum), which is incredibly high yielding and HIGH gluten, which if i'm not mistaken is the source of all health related issues.

i'm still eating grains, but my understanding of agriculture (my grandfather was a wheat/canola aka rape seed farmer) is such that everything that everything that is mass cultivated is all high-yielding, round-up ready, gmo'd.
nads84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #17  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I agree Rana, calories are very important. Many following paleo watch their calories and macros closely.

The "edge" in paleo for many dieters is that the cleaner food choices help with health issues that may cause weight gain or lack of loss.

You can find success on many different diets, but in the nod ( and why ww works) is calories are the most important factor.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #18  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

I too am wheat free. Well pretty much any grain free. I was/am eating mainly only protein and veggies. I find that high carb in general maees me stall :\ Even eating fruit as heavily as I was this week makes me stall *cries* I LOVE smoothies, but My carbs were WELL over 100 this with wheat in 2 of my days (Pitas from the pita pit) ans what do I have to show for this week? Retaining water while I sleep and no loss ZERO even though I lost a little over 9 lbs last week. *Cries some more* Oh well now I know, next week will be better.
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #19  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

13 days down...

Yes, where possible organic as much as I can find. Kinda hard with dining out, but at home yes. I made the organic switch more than 10 years ago when I got the PCOS dx. I knew I couldn't cure it, but I decided to change what I COULD change -- green cleaning, organic non GMO foods, etc. to help reduce exposure. I've found that over the years it gets easier as my finances/food availability/labeling improves but while I'm not longer a broke student... availability and labeling sometimes could still make room for better.

I've tried WW before but it just doesn't do it for me. I prefer to just calorie count the "regular" way than with "points" and things.

Thanks for the feedback guys --I appreciate it. Gives me things to mull over as I make tweaks. I'll try to respond more later.

Today I had no desire for french toast even though DH had some and I ignored the bread basket at dinner when Kid and spouse went there. It's interesting to note how much easier it is for me to eat til I am full, and stop. Before it was hard to stop and I hardly ever felt full on bread.

I do feel content with Udi's bread in a sandwich though. I have it, and I'm good for lunch. I don't want to scarf up the loaf.

I've been trying to find more PCOS/wheat articles to read online so if anyone has any plz post! Thanks!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-14-2013 at 08:36 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:07 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 243/212/150

Height: 5'2 1/2

I'm new to the site and I to have been dealing with pcos and wt issues for sometime now. I'm finding this site helpful already.
naquitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Astrophe -- how's it going?!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #22  

I am trying out low carb at the moment and I have cut out breads, pastas, pizzas, rice and crisps. I have lost 7lbs in 7 days but I assume it's all water weight. It was a struggle for the first three days but I managed to do it. I have one day (Friday) where I do cheat though
rishu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #23  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Well, I'm 23 days in.

I had a tiny amount of wheat in some croutons that snuck into a restaurant soup and I ate it without realizing it and went "Doh!" when I realized. I was trying to avoid it but dang... it's everywhere! Goes to show I need to pay attention rather than be updating my planner while eating! Mindful eating, not mindless!

But with it being such a small amount, I didn't experience too much discomfort. No crazy craving triggers or anything like that. Just a bit of snotty nose but I took a Zyrtec and was able to move past it ok.

A few days later I had this yen for cookies but it was ignorable.

I need to find better solutions for "on the go" lunches. Right now I'm hitting Panera and going for soup/salad combos that skip wheat (except for crouton mistake, darn tomato soup!). Boston market is doable -- just on the lookout for other places on my usual routes so I can organize my errand days around that. Whole Foods is on the way so hitting the buffet there helps too.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-23-2013 at 12:30 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote