New member-undiagnosed-frustrated

• I have asked my doctor more than once about PCOS because I have at least some of the symptoms. I have struggled with my weight all my life. If I am not actively dieting, I gain and it has become increasingly hard for me to lose. I am infertile with 3 or 4 miscarriages, facial hair where it shouldn't be, and a few cysts (though I think they come and go and I just deal with it). As with many physicians who treat overweight people, the standard answer is an RX for a diet pill and or a reminder of how I need to exercise and be on a diet. I am in the gym 4 nights a week for a mix of walking, nautilus, and water aerobics, and I've been on most every diet out there. Yes, they do work for a time, and when I was in my 30's they worked more easily than now. When I hit 40 it became a month long struggle to lose 1 pound then just gain it back. I recently started using the diabetic exchange diet as a guideline, figuring if I had IR/PCOS that might help me get /that/ under control then found this site.. so..

I say all of that to ask this.. is it common to go undiagnosed? My doctor is not unkind but I get the "you're-just-lazy-and-eat-oreos-all-day" look when I mention there being an underlying problem. I can't afford to doctor shop, would an endocrinologist be able to detect this?

Thanks!
  • Tinker, what kind of doctor do you have now? You need an endocrinologist for a firm diagnosis.
  • Just my regular doctor, but, I think my insurance will cover the visit to the endo if I get a referral and i can have him check my thyroid and everything.
  • Yes, a reproductive endocrinologist is your best bet.

But, just as a note. Even if you get a firm diagnosis, there is no "cure" for PCOS.

You might get a prescription for Metformin, if you have IR -- that will help balance your blood sugar.

You might get put on birth control pills to "balance" your hormones and help the cysts (or you might be told you need surgery!).

They may give you spirolactone (causes birth defects, so not if you're actively trying to conceive) to help with the facial hair growth you have...

But, at the end of the day, weight loss and exercise are going to be your biggest "medicine" bang for the buck. Eating healthy -- and yes, eating diabetic exchanges can work -- and exercising are going to be the best things you can do for you body.

You have to remember you're an experiment of n=1 (one). You will have to find what works for you. Metformin is NOT a weight loss drug. It just stabilizes your blood sugar. BCP are NOT weight loss drugs either. They play around with your hormones.

But, yes, find your reproductive endo, get the "firm" (as firm as PCOS can be!) diagnosis, so you can have some certainty about what's going on with you -- no, it's not in your head!

And continue eating healthy, lots and lots of vegetables!