PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #1  

Default IR diet, what to eat?

I've got IR and PCOS and I've decided to try the insulin resistance diet to see if it would help me to lose weight. I bought the book, but I'm still trying to figure out what foods I should eat. What do you eat? What are your favorites? And is there somewhere that I can find some type of IR diet meal examples or plans?

Thanks in advance
e615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I think Googling with give you ideas, but really, you're going down to basics.

Protein and vegetables are you friends!

The IR diet suggests that if you're going to eat other carbs, like bread, that you "link" it to fiber, protein and fats, so that your body takes longer to absorb the carbohydrate. For example, if you want that slice bread, make a whole wheat (grain) bread, with peanut butter and a slice of ham or cheese on it.

Meal plans that I eat -- I have IR so I have to watch what I eat -- are simple:

Steak and roasted vegetables
Grilled chicken breast with stir fry vegetables
Chili -- veggies, ground beef, beans
Taco salad -- lettuce, carrots, celery, etc., with a dollop of ground beef with taco seasoning

For breakfast, I do eggs, bacon, and fruit. I love fruit in the mornings.

For snacks, I do 1/2 apple with cashew butter (mmmm). Kind bar (dried fruit and nuts).

I don't eat carbs like bread or pasta and I also avoid dairy, because I have a sensitivity to it.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
I think Googling with give you ideas, but really, you're going down to basics.

Protein and vegetables are you friends!

The IR diet suggests that if you're going to eat other carbs, like bread, that you "link" it to fiber, protein and fats, so that your body takes longer to absorb the carbohydrate. For example, if you want that slice bread, make a whole wheat (grain) bread, with peanut butter and a slice of ham or cheese on it.

Meal plans that I eat -- I have IR so I have to watch what I eat -- are simple:

Steak and roasted vegetables
Grilled chicken breast with stir fry vegetables
Chili -- veggies, ground beef, beans
Taco salad -- lettuce, carrots, celery, etc., with a dollop of ground beef with taco seasoning

For breakfast, I do eggs, bacon, and fruit. I love fruit in the mornings.

For snacks, I do 1/2 apple with cashew butter (mmmm). Kind bar (dried fruit and nuts).

I don't eat carbs like bread or pasta and I also avoid dairy, because I have a sensitivity to it.
Thanks. My biggest problem so far is figuring out the whole carbs/protein thing and what foods I can link together
Old 12-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by e615 View Post
Thanks. My biggest problem so far is figuring out the whole carbs/protein thing and what foods I can link together
That was one of my problems with the book and the IR diet, in general!

But, if you just go down to basics -- veggies and protein, for example, you can't go wrong.

The issue I was having, personally, is that I was trying to figure out how BIG of a steak I needed to eat to offset the brownies. The answer? Don't eat the brownie!

Last edited by Rana; 12-04-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
The issue I was having, personally, is that I was trying to figure out how BIG of a steak I needed to eat to offset the brownies. The answer? Don't eat the brownie!
That's what I'm having a hard time with too. I'll think I've got enough protein in one thing to cover the carbs in another then I realize I don't. It's frustrating. I'm mostly cutting the carby stuff out but there's still a few things that I would like to keep in my diet.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by e615 View Post
That's what I'm having a hard time with too. I'll think I've got enough protein in one thing to cover the carbs in another then I realize I don't. It's frustrating. I'm mostly cutting the carby stuff out but there's still a few things that I would like to keep in my diet.
I think you can keep some things and adjust as time goes on. The one thing I learned in my own weight loss attempts in the past and what has worked to keep me at my current weight is that you have to make small changes that become permanent changes... if you try making a huge change, you might "rebel" against it or whatever.

I started trying to reduce -- NOT Eliminate -- some of the bad choices I made. I then started to eat more vegetables and fruits, rather than trying to get rid of "bad" foods. I think as time goes on and your body is getting good nutrients, the cravings for junky food go down (they won't disappear!).

So, even if you're only doing this 70% "correct", you're still doing it 70% more than before. That's great. That does help your body.

And really focus on making small changes that are NOT big sacrifices that just become "normal" and "natural".

As a side note, I NEVER thought I could give up soda. I was a complete addict.

I haven't had soda in years. I gave it up and it was a habit I never thought I could. When I need bubbles -- because I love bubbles! -- I drink club soda/seltzer/sparkling water.