PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

Angry I guess I have PCOS

I kind of knew this all along, although I never wanted to admit it. In 2008 I had a huge football sized cyst removed. It had shifted and wrapped up my tube. They removed the cyst, tube and ovary along with my appendix, cleaned up some endometriosis and a few smaller cysts too. Fun fun.

I've been having recurring miscarriages. I just had my 4th at the end of October. When I questioned my OBgyn about what we can do now? She blamed my weight. Funny, she's overweight and never blamed it before? I found a new doctor who doesn't think it's weight. However, I am on 1000 2x a day of metformin. I carry my weight in my belly. I have thinning hair up top and facial hair. During all m pregnancies, I have ridiculously low progesterone numbers, even when they supplement from a ++ pregnancy test onwards. I also suffer from (and take medication for) anxiety. From Fed-August of this year, I worked hard to lose weight and barely lost a thing. In fact, my old doctor had asked me at the time "what's going on?" because she thought my weight was going UP!

from poking around online, I'm wondering if I should start a low GI diet. EDiets has it, but nearly 20/month is not in the cards, especially when we're saving up for an Expensive DNA test they want to do on me per the miscarriages (it's about 3000$$ and insurance won't help on it).

I'm frustrated and not fully motivated because it seems no matter what I do, I'm still a fatty. I walked a 5k in August (the color run) and then after that, I lost any mojo I had. I wasn't seeing results, plus the walk was over and then all this miscarriage stuff happened and now I feel so... bleh. Can someone help me to learn how to get started on a low GI diet? My issue is that I hate most veggies and I love my carbs, although I've switched some out for whole grain. Been doing that for over a year now.
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 286/247/150

Height: 5-4

If you are PCOS then you want a high protein diet
http://www.livestrong.com/article/47...ein-diet-pcos/

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...et-plan.html#b

I've been toying with this by simply eating more eggs and cutting out the sugar (soda and junk)
drixnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Excess weight is definitely a culprit for a lot of women with PCOS. If you're IR (insulin resistant) then essentially you're body isn't producing enough insulin to handle all the carbohydrates that you're consuming and because you're body is larger than "normal" it can't keep up with your size OR the carbs.

You do NOT have to eat a high protein diet, but you do want a low-carb diet.

There's a difference -- the goal, ultimately, is to balance your insulin (or blood sugar levels) and you have to do that by lowering your body's response to the food you're eating. Your body produces insulin when you eat food (or smell it if it thinks it's going to eat) and the body will produce more in order to control the sugar you're sending into your system.

If you low carb (and this is usually referred to as the carbs you find in pastries, cereals, grains, rices, breads, candy, sugars, and so on) you control your body's response because it needs less insulin to process fats, protein or high-fiber foods like spinach, green beans, chard, kale, collard greens, and so on.

You can be vegetarian and have a low-carb diet.

The key is actually beginning to figure out what works for your body.

A GI diet is easy to make, you can search in Google ideas for low-GI, you can buy a book (cheaper than E-diets) and read it, or you can scan through the posts here and in the Diabetes section that have information on low-GI foods.

But basically, if you're meals are comprised of vegetables and a lean protein, you're probably eating low-GI.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #4  

Oh, I forgot to say, Welcome!!!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...uide-pcos.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...l-balance.html

Don't know if either of those help you.

Welcome to the group!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post

Thanks. I hate veggies so much, except the "bad, starchy ones". If only I could chow on fruit all day, I'd be set. In those exchanges, does 1=15g grams? LIke in a carb exchange? That part confused me because how do you know you're having one exchange of say.. a strawberry? Is it 15g carb of strawberry=1 fruit exchange?

replacing carbs in dinner meals is going to be hard, as well as finding "lean protein" that isn't meat. Otherwise, you'd be eating chicken like 6 days a week and that would get old.
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #7  

Honestly, rather than getting caught up in the "exchanges" and stuff like that, I would focus on just eating 5 portions of vegetables a day.

When I started this, I tried always, to go full out on a plan and it didn't really work for me, in the sense that I would start feeling deprived and I would hate that I'm being "forced" to eat a particular way that wasn't "natural".

Since you don't like veggies so much, I would start just trying to incorporate any vegetables (except the starchy ones) into your diet. Carrot sticks and celery sticks with peanut butter (or any nut butter) as a snack. Have some apple slices with it, so you can increase your fruit intake too since you like fruit.

Make a soup and add lots of vegetables in it (I like vegetables mixed in like that). I also make chili with carrots, celery and onions, all ground up in a food processor and it mixes in with the meat in the chili and you can't tell it's celery, carrots or onion, but it adds great flavor. French cooking is based on that mixture, called "mirepoix" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirepoix_%28cuisine%29) and it's actually a great way to add vegetables to any dish.

Try different combinations of salads until you find something you like. I discovered I liked sweeter salads with fruit mixed in and nuts, than savory salads like a Cobb salad.

As for lean protein, you can look at chicken, but cow beef is also an option -- you just have to look for lean cuts of beef. Also, if you like fish or seafood, white fish is very lean as well as shrimp. Pork can be very lean again, depending on the cut. If you like lamb and other meats, they have also the "lean" version. Grass-fed beef, pork, and lamb is leaner than corn-fed, too. Eggs are also considered lean protein.