PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #1  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Default Surgical Menopause former PCOS and IR etc.

Hi ladies,

I'm back on this forum after a hiatus of about 2 years. Had a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy in 2008 at age 46. I think that was when my weight vacillated only between 165-173. I'm only 5'4" and fine-boned, and in my 40s I started to really change from a pear shape to an apple. I think stress and cortisol played a big role in this.

I also had an incisional hernia repair in 2010 - really think the doc from my hysterectomy released me too soon and I was desperate for a job and doing heavy lifting too soon.

Before the 2008 surgeries I had been put on Metformin, but I'm one of those people who can gain weight on just about any medication. At the end of 2009 (I think), I persuaded a different doctor to let me discontinue the Metformin, as I was up to nearly 200 lbs.!

I was also going through a lot of stress at this time, my ever-present difficulties with jobs (due to anxiety, ADHD, and other factors) prompting me to file for disability, which I now am on. And a home foreclosure that played out over the 2009-11 years. I moved in Nov. 2011 after the house was sold at sheriff's auction, to an apartment which was not right for me and again this year in with a friend, a situation which I like much better.

My Medicare supplement plan came with a free gym membership this year but I was so busy with one crisis after another dealing with the apartment and then with moving that I've gotten away from the gym. I'm going to go back this weekend and get with it. I haven't weighed myself lately, but I had lost down to the upper 170s since going off the Metformin. But I sure have my work cut out for me in getting rid of this belly fat and strengthening my abs - don't want diabetes OR another hernia!

Long story just to basically say I am glad to have remembered about this forum and will enjoy being back, sharing exercise tips and other things. Would love to hear from some other menopausal PCOS gals!

Last edited by Skinnyminnie Wannabe; 11-28-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Skinnyminnie Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Welcome! Not menopausal, but there are some here who are!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #3  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I don't have PCOS or IR (don't know what that is, even) but I did undergo surgical menopause when I was 45, 2.5 years ago. I had everything removed, including ovaries and fallopian tubes.

Yeah, I put weight on after that surgery and also leading up to my next major surgery a year later. But the good news is, and this is why I'm replying, is that I surprisingly (at least to me) haven't found it any more difficult to lose weight now compared to before entering surgical menopause. I started trying to lose 2 years after entering menopause, and it's been going fine.

I do notice that my shape has changed, though. Before menopause, it used to be that my thigh size was the determining factor on whether a pair of pants fit. Now it's my abdomen size... ugh. But it's all shrinking...

Best of luck to you!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #4  

You ladies are making me nervous! I will be having a hysterectomy in February unless there is a miracle and I can get pregnant after being on Megace for 6 months. I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer after not being able to get pregnant with my first child (they found the cancer by accident not even looking for it).

I have to have a full hysterectomy (tubes, ovaries, etc.) and am petrified all of the hard work I put into losing weight will be for nothing. I will be in surgical menopause before I even leave the hospital.

If I am lucky enough to get pregnant, bringing home a baby while I am in menopause (they'd do the hysterectomy at the time of birth), I'd be a heck of a lot happier.

I love this forum. We might not all have the same situation but the sisterhood is better than I have in real life. My friends don't understand how I feel, esp. the ones with babies.

Btw, I am only 37.

Last edited by elvislover324; 11-30-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Added age for reference
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #5  
Heidi

Elvislover -- first, so sorry to read about what you must be going through... good luck with all that!

I just wanted to clarify that, while I *did* put on weight after having everything removed (same as you -- uterus, tubes, ovaries) it was because of the stress I was going through with my health issues. I knowingly decided to jump off track and console myself with food. Bad, bad. Maybe I gained weight faster than I might have otherwise, I'm not sure. But I don't believe I gained the weight *because* of the surgical menopause.

Good luck to you. Surgical menopause is definitely not well understood by friends, or at least that's what I found. AND, people don't seem to understand that there is a big difference between having only the uterus removed and having everything removed. Trust me, I get it...

Again, good luck!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #6  

Thank you so much for your message, new leaf. I apologize I just saw it today. It's been a rough couple of months with a couple of rough ones ahead of me but I am so full of hope and prayer for a miracle.

I totally understand the consoling with food; I am very conscious of it even now. But I am trying to keep my eye on the prize!

Your post made me feel happy that you understand what I will be going through. I almost stopped explaining to people what the total hysterectomy means as they just don't get it.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #7  
Heidi

Elvis Lover - there is a whole on-line community that totally *gets* surgical menopause and the effects of tube & ovary removal. I will PM you the information and you can check it out if you are interested.