3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support-70/)
-   -   progesterone question (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support/265789-progesterone-question.html)

pandamom 09-06-2012 09:56 PM

progesterone question

I'm pretty new to PCOS and new to this forum.

Anyone else who's taking progesterone:

Have you found it to cause you to gain any weight? I am on my second month of it and both times I started the new course I put at least a pound back on. I know a pound isn't much, but if it happens every month it could turn into trouble over time. I had been steadily losing prior to starting the progesterone.

After finding out I have PCOS I majorly modified my diet to try and lose: no potatoes, no sugar, no white flour, no pop, no caffeine, MAYBE one serving of grain a day and if I do it is completely whole grain, very little fruit (not even once a day) and if I do it is whole fresh fruit, most of my vegetables are raw, I religiously measure portion sizes on everything (except vegetables), no trans fats, no corn syrup of any kind, no hydrogenated anything, as few prepackaged foods as is humanly possible including only homemade salad dressing, no condiments, fat free dairy only, mostly fish and chicken that is baked with no oil and nothing on it but spices. More or less South Beach, but not exactly as I restrict grains and fruit a lot more than SB. I have not cheated once and I exercise every day, so I just can't imagine that any weight gain is the fault of my eating.

I am very frustrated by this.

The progesterone is to try and hold off periods--I have crazy ones that last for weeks on end and if they do stop only stop for a few days to a week. It does hold it off, barely; I still spot constantly through the course and the cramps are very unpleasant. I'm probably calling the dr. tomorrow, but thought I'd see if anyone else faced a similar situation.

kelly315 09-07-2012 07:40 AM

Taking a progesterone based birth control has been one of the best things for me. While you might gain one pound or even two at first, in the long run it should help your weight loss to have your hormones more balanced from the pill.

As far as wondering why you gained weight while eating like you do, I recommend counting your calories (for at least a few days). You would be surprised at the number of calories you can eat while still eating "healthy."

ELBS717 09-11-2012 05:34 AM

The Progesterone pill helped me for about a year before something went haywire/stopped working... gave up. I never noticed gaining weight from it, the only symptoms I had was dry mouth for a few days (went away), and also erythema nodosum, which I guess was really odd. That also went away with a few months' time.
Good luck! Hope it works well for you. I'd give it another few months before you decide?