PCOS, nutrition, and toxins

• Hey everyone.

I'm usually a silent lurker on here, but I wanted to share my story in hopes that maybe it could be something that can help you gals. I'd also like to see a discussion on what you've all tried as far as getting healthy and detoxifying. A year ago my friend introduced me to a nutritional cleansing program. I didn't really latch on until about 6 weeks ago when I was literally fed up. Tired, heavy, couldn't breathe, sick, emotional...the works. My goal is to have a baby so I've been working at it for a while. I tried the low carb thing and its very difficult for me. So I've been sticking to the program and I've released 25 lbs so far. My periods started coming back after my first deep cleanse (after 4 years). I'm energetic and positive and feel like my life is coming back slowly and surely. So, I just wanted to throw the idea out there as another option because it has worked wonders for me. I have pictures of my progress if you'd like to see them or want more info, PM me.

IMHO, toxins can cause a plethora of issues - weight gain and retention, acne, energy loss, lack of libido, sleep issues, mood swings... so many more. I've found that I feel so much better now that I'm I'm pulling toxins out of my system and I am light, fluffy, happy, thinner, motivated, and (tmi) sex crazed! LOL. I also do not crave junk food (carbs) at all, which by default makes my lifestyle low GI without that extra effort. I just like to share my story with as many people out there as possible because I'm so excited it HAS worked for me with very very little effort at all - I'm so Pumped for life now!! I guess I can't say much on these boards for whatever reason, and I get that. I'm just a normal person who knows what you've been through and are going through and would like to help if you're willing to listen to my story. Hope you are all well and may all your dreams come true!
  • So nobody has ever considered a toxic environment, including the foods we eat, as part of the reason we have pcos?
  • Personally not really in so much as I don't think the toxins or food in themselves are the problem. However abusing food can cause weight gain which can make symptoms worse etc. so I'd consider 'food' in that context as part of the problem.
  • I wonder if its a USA thing? Idk if other countries are so into GMOs (genetically modified organisms) so much as us. Do you all have the same issues out there? If I thought cleansing was a complete placebo effect, I'd more than willingly admit it. I just feel really different and having my cycles back reenforces my theory. I've gone years and years without AF and now that I'm not eating all that garbage its different for me. I did go all low GI in the past and it was difficult, but I did do it. I didn't see the same results as I do now on the program and avoiding toxins.

I'm just looking to see if others have the same problems as I did while "dieting" on the low GI and really exercising a lot. I used to stay under 1200 calories as well as run and work with a trainer, but didn't feel the way I do now. And now its literally effortless. I'm just looking for support from people who reaaallly struggled like I did.

For some, all they have to do is eat a little different and sorta dabble with some exercise. I had a super duper hard time and I know there are people out there who are as frustrated now as I was two months ago.
  • Well, a lot of the plastics and other chemicals in our environment are endocrine disruptors -- i.e. they affect our endocrine system = PCOS!

Here's a list of scholarly articles on it.

I wouldn't doubt that there are some PCOS cases that fall in this category and are caused by chemicals and other environmental factors.

For myself, I know there is diabetes in my family, as well as thyroid issues, and other family members with PCOS. For me, it's genetic.

My lab results have shown it's a question of my insulin not working properly.

I eat organic (and have been doing that for a long time) as well as using less plastic in my life (water bottles included, no tupperware in the microwave that kind of stuff) and it hasn't made my weight loss any easier or faster.

If I keep my carbs low, and my calories low, I lose weight. There's no other secret for me, unfortunately.

It'd be nice to find a way to switch my weight loss into a faster mode, but I don't see what other changes I can make!
  • I'm like you Rana. I have a lot of other factors including diabetes in my family. I always assumed it was genetic and just fought the uphill battle. I also have an under active thyroid. Genetics do play a role, but after I started w Isa, I don't feel so much like my genetics hold me down. They'd limit how small I'd get, but that's about it.

Now I'm learning that even if I was eating the right foods, I wasn't eating the correct amounts of certain foods with the right amount of vitamins. I was supplementing, but it was never enough. I've released 25 lbs in a little over 6 weeks now w isa (actually more, but I don't count my dailies - just once a week). If you're interested I can PM you some info that CAN help you release the weight faster. I'm a true believer. I can't wait to get my bloodwork done. My acupuncturist that I've been w for over a year says that she can really tell my liver is healthy bcz my tongue is a good color. I see even my gums are super pretty pink. It just seems like cleansing your system of toxins as well as avoiding new ones as much as possible helps.

Our bodies hold onto the toxins inside the fat thinking its protecting itself from more toxins by creating more fat. Its a vicious cycle. Even if we eat well now, our bodies are still holding onto those toxins inside the fat and not letting it go. I think some of us could really benefit by deep cleansing our bodies so that we can fight fat. As I talk to more and more people, I find I'm not the only one who's tried EVERYTHING (yup even acupuncture) and its so frustrating bcz nobody sees our past efforts. All they see is that we're overweight and assume we eat too much and never exercise. I just wanna get the word out that deep cleansing and replenishing your body with lots of nutrients can really help us see those results we've been looking for and damn right deserve. lol.