PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #31  
Fellow cyster!

S/C/G: 170/170/150

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina125 View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't yeast a fungi and not bacteria?
You are correct. Gram negative/positive deals with the characteristics of a cell wall, mostly in bacteria, but can characterize molds and fungi as well.

Rana -- what were in those delicious, filling pancakes?!
claristotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 230 (104kg) / 170 (77kg)

Height: 5'11" (180 cm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMom09 View Post
Astrophe - Did you have any unpleasant side effects with the Phentermine? That is what my endo prescribed, but I'm a little afraid of taking it. I'm afraid that I will be super hungry once I stop taking it.

Thanks for the info on the nutritionist!
Hey pretty mom!

I took phentermine and it was great, BUT I couldn't sleep. I would feel energetic during the day, I didn't have the PCOS cravings and I had some incredible workouts at the gym... but even after reducing my dose, taking half a pill, I still couldn't sleep and went off it.

I think astrophe describes it well, it can certainly get you started, but you'll have to wane yourself off of it and then go at it on your own (when you feel comfortable).

GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING!!

xx jess
GuiriGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 299/268/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post

Kierra -- Glad you saw your doc and the lady parts are doing well! The yeast thing is chronic for those with IR/prediabetes/diabetes -- might want to think about reducing the yeast happy foods -- sugar, starces, etc.
Yes, I am on a low carb plan and not eating any yeast loving foods like starchy veggies, grains or sugary fruit.
Kierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #34  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

RANA:

Quote:
Anyway, the only thing I can think of is that maybe by only have two real meals a day I managed my blood sugar levels better than when I eat and graze all day...?
Maybe. Or the fact that it was from scratch rather than from a box. I try not to bake at all any more but I know full well that 2 slices of from scratch sandwich bread is WAY more filling that store. Or from scratch pizza crust is way more filling than say, Boboli crust.

I had a nice day, but it was weird with the summer schedule. Kid's all amok with her sleep having a good time staying up late but it is screwing me up for meals (I want to eat WITH her) and for errands and taking my meds and things. I'm going to have to reel her in some and work with it better.

This always happens in summer and it takes me a few weeks to get into "summer mode" with her.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by claristotle View Post
Rana -- what were in those delicious, filling pancakes?!
Flour (white), 1 egg, baking powder, baking soda, salt, milk, butter, and 1/2 t of brown sugar.

Didn't think it was going to fill me up....

Anyway, yesterday, I tried it again -- two meals, one in the morning, one at night.

My BSL (blood sugar level) was 106 last night, but again, back down to 94 this morning.

The 106 wasn't good... but I expected it to be higher in the morning, again.... and it wasn't!

So...

I'm going to try it again today.

Experiment of 1.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #36  
Fellow cyster!

S/C/G: 170/170/150

Height: 5'10"

Those ingredients don't seem super filling, but apparently they are! I'm curious about your experiment today.
claristotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Experiment the next day didn't work as planned. So, the question that I am asking myself is whether I need to be eating more fats in my diet?

On the second day, I had a high carb dinner -- no animal protein, but I did have pinto beans -- and that dinner kept my blood sugar high. But I did skip lunch and had a snack in the late afternoon of a 1/2 apple and cashew butter before dinner.

Again, I don't know if my second meal needs/should have protein too.

Hm.

I'm traveling now, so I won't be able to work on this as much.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 181/181/115

Height: 5'3"

Thanks Astrophe and Guirigirl! I made up my mind to try the pills. The doc prescribed 1 pill a day, but I think I'll start with half a pill since I have trouble sleeping as it is. I'll keep you guys posted.
PrettyMom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMom09 View Post
Thanks Astrophe and Guirigirl! I made up my mind to try the pills. The doc prescribed 1 pill a day, but I think I'll start with half a pill since I have trouble sleeping as it is. I'll keep you guys posted.
Sounds great, PrettyMom!

Good Luck!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #40  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Rana -- Fat takes 7 hrs to digest. Protein and carbs around 4 (according to my dietitian of that time.) So she was big on "mixed meals" where you had a bit of all in each meal so the fat would help it stick to your ribs longer and the protein would chill and balance the carbs. It was basic sound advice and I find it funny years later things like "Flat Belly" diet are going on about MUFAs and whatnot. Basically = pair up a nice fat like nuts or avocado or something in there.

See how it plays out for you. And hope your travels are great!

PrettyMom09:

Just take notes, take it easy. Report to your doc if anything is odd.

You might get thirsty. It tasted best to me hidden in a spoon of yogurt. Initially taking it plain made my mouth/tongue all weird numb "YUCK!" feeling. I'm not sure how to describe. It's bitter tasting to me like "ACK! Ugh!"

So I started hiding it in a spoon of yogurt so it's not "touching" my tongue as much. That helped a lot.

Hang in there!

MY CHECK IN:

Had a BIG reaction to my allergy shot last week so they toned my dose down this week. My arm got all puffy red and itchy like crazy -- this time not so much.

Things are chugging along -- enjoying summer bonding with my kid. Enjoying bondy time with my husband.

House declutter is moving slowly, but moving. Wish I could say same for my weight! This block of 20 lbs NOT on phentermine is much slower/harder to move. Sigh. Maybe I still need the help? I have to sit with that. My doc told me to just keep the pills since I never used them all up last time and work it like I need to work it since I did well tapering off.

Dad was ANNOYING today. Ugh!

But I keep telling myself medicated Dad being annoying is still WAY BETTER than unmedicated scary Dad from last fall. He was just acting out today a bit and being a fusspot. Not threatening anyone or throwing things or any of that AGGRESSION stuff. But being all argumentative fussy. Like "No, I don't WANNA!" like a little kid.

But he was a total pain in the butt today so I was relieved to come home after my time over there. Eldercare is mind boggling SO MUCH like toddler parenting.

Only you have the hope the toddler will outgrow their shenanigans whereas a mental patient like Dad is just gonna keep on the decline.

Overall nothing horrible -- he just plumb wore me out running around being him. Sheesh. Mostly mentally -- because I had to NOT REACT to his stupid. I could think it all I wanted to, but in caregiving you don't say it. With a toddler you can LOOK at the person and go "Oh, this is a kid all immature" and that helps diffuse your own inner "yargh!" because what can you do? Kid's a kid.

But when you are looking at an adult that looks normal it is easy to forget they are NOT normal. And we are all processing still I guess that Dad's just not the guy he used to be. Even him in there somewhere has to process that. It is easy to forget he is not Old Dad, he is Patient Dad.

And you WANT to get into it like he's some rational adult person.

Dad: I don't WANNA! WAH!

US: (tempted to say "Whaddaya MEAN you don't wanna? Stop being silly and be a grown up about it!" but can't actually say that) Alright. I hear you do not want to. But this is not a choice. This must be done. AFTER this we can do this that you like, ok? Let's go! Yay!

Round and round. Just like you would a little kid. Oy.

He can't just stop his bratty moments. He isn't a rational adult person any more. Sigh.

I ought to put one of my extra fitbits on HIM to see how much running around he does. LOL.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-22-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #41  

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
[PrettyMom09:

Just take notes, take it easy. Report to your doc if anything is odd.

You might get thirsty. It tasted best to me hidden in a spoon of yogurt. Initially taking it plain made my mouth/tongue all weird numb "YUCK!" feeling. I'm not sure how to describe. It's bitter tasting to me like "ACK! Ugh!"

So I started hiding it in a spoon of yogurt so it's not "touching" my tongue as much. That helped a lot.

A.
astrophe is 100% correct. The pills taste awful, so never take one without water.

Also, drink A TON of water. I'm talking at least 2L per day. Otherwise, you may get a sort of caffeine jitter. (This can help with the sleeping difficulty as well).

But on the bright side, you will have more energy and you won't have hunger cravings!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #42  

Astrophe:

I'm so sorry to hear about your father. I'm currently working on my PhD in adolescent psych, but I've worked a few years in a geriatric psychiatrist's office, and I've seen how hard it can be on younger relatives.

Have you thought of maybe doing a joint therapy session with your father? For example going together, then separating so that you each have time with the clinician? I've seen this help many families. Also, they might be able to bill your father's medicare insurance instead of your own.

As for your post-phentermine-weight-loss, I know it of feels like you've been unplugged! The worst.

What I did was I bought a mini food processor and started making my own juices. I know this sounds nuts, but the homemade juices really helped me feel more satisfied between meals! I have about 3 ready to go in my fridge at all times. (This may seem impossible with a small child at home, but you can make a bunch at a time and freeze them. They also make great popsicles... could be a fun summer project!)

I also started carrying a bottle of water and peanuts/almonds in my purse Keeps me eating batatas bravas on the regular haha.

Hang in there, astrophe! You're doing a great job!

xx jess

Last edited by GuiriGirl; 06-24-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #43  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

GuiriGirl: Thanks for the compassion and kindness.

I've offered, but I'm also not going to push it. You have NO idea -- the crazy last fall? I had to go to court to get a judge order so cops would pick up my dad for the 3 day involuntary mental health check. We discovered prostrate probs so they kept him longer -- and part of his dx is anosognosia. Where he is ill but cannot and does not even recognize he is ill. So there's no way he'd agree to joint therapy for mental health cuz "what for!? I'm not sick!"

So much drama over the last year leading to it coming to a head and me putting my foot down. The aggression got so crazy that I consulted with my sister and told Mom off and said we'd go to court with or WITHOUT her. (She was frightened and being an obstacle.)

Mom and I have been to caregiver classes, Dad's got his doc line up and therapies which he agrees to go to because he has "stress" -- that bit he will own. You know. Because WE stress HIM out so. (anosognosia again -- he perceives we are different toward him but doesn't get why). So life here is MUCH better, and all are more stable. Still hard, but more stable with dad on meds.

But the rest of the picture he's clueless. Just acts out his frustration and WE know why, but he doesn't know why. So he flails about sometimes. I love him even when he makes me feel crazy. So I will keep caring for him and mom and we're working plan to move him to facility if he's no longer safe at home. Mom's kinda seen the light and is being more real and STOPPED being so obstacle.

Right now he's high functioning -- dress, eat, bathe, do small chores around the house, likes his cat, his TV shows, his music, his books, etc. I'd put him like a 12 year old. Old enough to be trusted with some things, not old enough to drive (we took away the license) and prone to bratty moments like a tween. But really some of his tantrums sometimes devolve into total toddler mode -- forget even the tween mode.

"But whhhhhhyyyy can't I? You are just MEAN!" type.

Oy.

Post phen -- ha! We had the same thought. I've been in smoothie making world with the vitamix.

I also have a thing of almond/cranberry mix in my purse for back up.

I also talked to a friend IRL who agreed to be my other check in person besides DH because I'm trying to earn a PALA again pedometer style. I'd rather do minutes or miles but formal workouts are unreliable in summer with elder AND kid afoot. Most days I feel like I'm running around after people or running around trying to clean things so my way of "go with the flow" is fine! Count the steps then. How MUCH run around?

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-25-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #44  
Fatty-atty-umpkin

Height: 5'4"

Hi there - I hope you don't mind me jumping in and joining this group.

My name is Kari, I'm 29 and I was diagnosed with PCOS in August 2006. I was on Metformin for several years and lost weight with it (roughly 50 lbs) however after years of being on it I felt like I needed a break from it (and the side effects). Soon after I started regaining the weight.

This past January I decided to join Weight Watchers and I successfully lost 30 lbs. The last month and a half I have gotten off track, but this past week I have been back on plan and have lost 4.4 lbs. I am now doing Weight Watchers on my own (no meetings or e-tools) and so far so good.
kc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #45  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

kc82 --

And good for you for taking care of you and getting support in the PCOS battle by coming here!

Jump on in! The water's fine!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-25-2012 at 12:36 PM.