PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #1  
Workin' towards success!

S/C/G: 278/Ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Smile Also new to this group...

I was diagnosed in 2002 with PCOS by a fertility doctor (who helped to get me pregnant with my son) before this my doctors did not know what was wrong. I was a very late bloomer I actually had to get my period started at 16 by BC pills. Since then I have always had very irregular periods and have always had a weight issue. I have found out that with PCOS it makes it hard to lose weight. So, I'm now at my breaking point I'm trying to lose weight, I'm hoping to bring up my confidence as well as help in the TTC department. I have been trying to get pregnant again since my son (who is now almost 9) was one years old, I've had no luck yet. Just recently my doctor put me on BC pills (Beyaz) for a couple months hoping to help make my periods more regular. I'm hoping to lose weight while I'm on hiatus and keep going from there after. My hopes is that by losing weight it may help me in the TTC department as well as in my confidence levels. I am looking forward to finding friends here and finding new supplements to help with PCOS. I have no insurance so I can't pay for fertility treatments (way too expensive). BTW are there any good supplements the help with hormones and facial hair?

Last edited by Jinxy; 02-10-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Jinxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Welcome! There are lots of posts and links on this site that can be very helpful. Start reading and don't worry!!! Losing weight with PCOS is possible, it's just a question of finding out what works for you!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #3  

When I was TTC is when I started taking Metformin to help regulate my cycles. I never got better than 60 day cycles but on my year anniv I learned I was pregnant and did not need to move on to Clomid.

I was still obese, so if I were to go it again I know I'd want to be under 200 at least. I ended up with gestational diabetes.

Which type are you? You are not ovulating so it has to be one of these:

traditional PCOS -- anovulatory, increased androgens, no insulin resistance

endocrine syndrome X -- anovulatory, increased androgens, insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes

non-traditional PCOS --anovulatory, normal androgens, obese, insulin resistant or type 2 diabetes

You will want to have the insulin resistance and androgens looked at to narrow it down further... and corresponding treatment will follow the pcos patient type you are.

GL!
A.

Last edited by astrophe27; 02-13-2012 at 12:20 PM.
astrophe27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #4  
Workin' towards success!

That's the thing my doctor back then didn't really say he just said I had PCOS and not to worry about TTC that he didn't want me to worry too much (since it made it harder to conceive that way). I know I don't have diabetes (didn't have it even when I was pregnant). I do know that I have increased androgens since my hormones are out of whack. Another doctor, at one time, had me on Metformin to try to get my cycles normal but I had to stop taking that since my husband couldn't afford the insurance (way way too high through his company). From what the doctor said, that I have right now, is that Metformin by itself, is high in price w/o insurance.

So, I'm thinking I'm probably traditional taking in all the facts that I have gathered throughout the years.

Last edited by Jinxy; 02-13-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Ok, so with the high androgens you know it has to be one of these presentations:

traditional PCOS -- anovulatory, increased androgens, no insulin resistance

endocrine syndrome X -- anovulatory, increased androgens, insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes

Consider eating a diabetic diet -- if you are NOT insulin resistant it isn't going to hurt you any. And if you ARE, it can help a bit.

Check on the Met though. My MIL gets hers at walmart for $4 and my supermarket offers it free. It's the plain and not the XR , but if you can handle that it could help.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #6  
Hello There

S/C/G: 190/173/150

Height: 5'7

Hi girls...

I'm not familiar with the different types of PCOS and I'm not sure how to get myself tested? Is there a self-testing questionnaire online? The docs in my area are not that well informed about PCOS.

If I know my type and have the right diet for my type, will weight loss be easier?

As I mentioned in the other post, I've been 175 for 3 weeks and I swear I'm eating smart and clean. It's frustrating to work so hard and see no results.
susiederkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #7  

Quote:
It's frustrating to work so hard and see no results.
I know this well! My own loss is like m o l a s s e s! But hang in there and keep trying!

I think if people know how they present, it can help shape their goals/treatment. I know I want my IR down! My doc told me I was IR, syndrome X, I could see I was obese and I've never been anything buy irregular. I also have high androgen so I know I present like a syndrome Xer.

Have you had your androgens and IR tested? We have a poll here on types... just search for it. I can't post a link right now.

HTH!
A.
astrophe27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #8  
Hello There

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe27 View Post
I know this well! My own loss is like m o l a s s e s! But hang in there and keep trying!

I think if people know how they present, it can help shape their goals/treatment. I know I want my IR down! My doc told me I was IR, syndrome X, I could see I was obese and I've never been anything buy irregular. I also have high androgen so I know I present like a syndrome Xer.

Have you had your androgens and IR tested? We have a poll here on types... just search for it. I can't post a link right now.

HTH!
A.
Wow you know so much!

What's IR?

I haven't had my androgens or IR tested. I wished I lived near a good doc that specializes in PCOS.

I'll google types of pcos to see if there are any descriptions.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #9  
Hello There

I found this and hope this helps Jinxy, there are one or two supplements included...

Treatment Summary for Type 1 PCOS.

Diet - When the body is insulin resistant, it simply does not remember how to use carbohydrates for energy. It can only store them as fat. At the same time, an insulin resistant body does not have the ability to burn fat stores for energy. The solution is to restrict carbohydrates for six weeks to "remind" the body how to use them for energy. You may need to go down to 30 or 40 grams of carbohydrate per day, but you still must eat vegetables for their fibre and nutrition. Your best source of calories during this time is fat, not protein. Protein puts a stress on the kidneys, and is also converted easily into sugar, whereas fat is simply burned for energy.

Eliminate refined sugar from the diet
Magnesium and chromium - Minerals to improve sensitivity of the insulin receptor
Resveratrol - improves sensitivity to insulin and leptin
Homoeopathic Insulin & Leptin (See Insulin article and Leptin article)
Peony & Licorice herbal formula to lower testosterone, which will alleviate acne and facial hair.
Indole-3-carbinol to assist with oestrogen metabolism and clearance
Detoxify environmental toxins such as BPA that may be interfering with the insulin receptor
The Pill is absolutely not an appropriate treatment (see above).

I'll PM you the link...i can't link yet cause I'm a newbie.

Edit - okay i don't know where is the PM button....

Last edited by susiederkins; 02-15-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Sorry, I was logged under the wrong name. I prefer this one.

IR = insulin resistance.

The poll link is here.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...tient-you.html

And yes, lower carbs can help PCOS/IR people. Actually doing it is another story -- I'm trying and struggling with horrible headaches!

BCP is kinda an "old school" way to deal with PCOS. Now we know if you are choosing BCP for birth control to be on the right type or else is can affect you in ways you do not want. We don't need it stimulating androgens for instance. Those who want the side benefit of birth control can pick one like Yasmin if it works for them because that one can deal with blocking andogens. Those choosing other BC methods like condoms might want Spirolactone for the androgens. Like I said... it depends on your goals and how you want treatment to go for that phase of your life.

I think you are trying to link to here right?

http://www.sensible-alternative.com....arian-syndrome

That was neat -- hadn't seen that one yet. Thanks!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-15-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #11  
Workin' towards success!

I did the run around today to get copies of my records and such at both my OBGYN and the old fertility doctor. I really want to know for sure which he had me as so maybe this way I will get some answers . I'm also still trying to get a hold of someone at the doctors office to see if there is a way to get back on Metformin if not I may have to use something else. Thanks for the info and I will be sure to let you know when I do.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 309/309/167

Height: 5"3'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxy View Post
I was a very late bloomer I actually had to get my period started at 16 by BC pills. Since then I have always had very irregular periods and have always had a weight issue. I have found out that with PCOS it makes it hard to lose weight. So, I'm now at my breaking point I'm trying to lose weight, I'm hoping to bring up my confidence

This sounds like my exactly like my story. Except mine was diagnosed in 2000 and it was by the family doctor at age 16. But they had tried me on like 3 different types of birth-control and it worked while on it but once off the periods stopped. When we finally had a for certain diagnoses my doctor said I don't know too much about it but I know that it will making trying to lose weight hard and you may never have children. Any more questions and just look it up online. Talk about a shocker. Than when I got married that doctor retired and it took me 4 years to find a good doctor who would treat. I had lots of first and last time visits with doctors. I had one that refused to treat me for PCOS and instead tested me for everything else under the moon. I mean another one sat there and told me you're just fat you need to lose weight. No more ho hos or candy or soda lose weight. I finally found a good doctor but the metformin started making me sick than I lost insurance and moved so now we are working on getting insurance and nervous about finding a new doctor.
hotsexylaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #13  
Hello There

Right..wow thanks for the information astrophe. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with all the studies out there.

Yes, that's the link. It seems to be clear, precise and to the point.

I think I have IR too cause I'm thick around the middle and have difficulty losing weight.

Dr Furhman has this headache cure....it was quite a list of no-no foods.If I recall on the top of the list, dairy and wheat are trigger foods. And of course MSG and those fake stuff.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #14  
Workin' towards success!

astrophe - I just got my copies of my records today and it looks like I was wrong, looking at all the information it looks like I have endocrine syndrome X. From reading it I am insulin resistant which makes a big difference in which group I go in plus I do have increased androgens. I'm glad I know where I stand now it'll make a big difference (when I find out how to tackle this ) now that I know and am not in the dark. Thanks BTW.

Side note: I'm a little overwhelmed by everything I'm taking in on PCOS (It was overwhelming before this but now knowing which direction to go is still the same I guess you could say). It has finally hit me today after my exercising (thinking while doing so I guess you could say). I'm really having different emotions going on at once right now mostly though I'm angry at my ex-OBGYN I've been reading my files and words can't express how I feel about them all right now. I'm slightly mad at myself for not asking everything I could (but in reality I didn't know what to ask) and being more assertive about it all. I'm a bit scared, frustrated, and a bit depressed right now too. I did talk it over with my husband after he got home, he says I need to do what I need to do and somehow someway he'll find a way to pay for it. He just wants me to get things going on the right track again. I just wanted to wright this out to tell everyone what I am going through, I didn't want anyone to think that I was just emotionless on this subject. It's sometimes hard to type things out on the boards.

Last edited by Jinxy; 02-24-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #15  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Quote:
I'm really having different emotions going on at once right now mostly though I'm angry at my ex-OBGYN I've been reading my files and words can't express how I feel about them all right now. I'm slightly mad at myself for not asking everything I could (but in reality I didn't know what to ask) and being more assertive about it all.
That's close to how I feel. This is my 20th anniv in chronic patient world even though it took me 10 yrs into it to get the PCOS dx. Blaaaah.

I am frustrated that at times I feel like I have to be my own doctor. But I'm NOT a doctor. I have a nice enough endoc who is willing to go with it when I suggest I want to try this or that. But it isn't like she has the knowledge base to think of suggesting it herself! "More like ohh...never thought of that. Well, we could try it and see."

So what if there's things out there that could help me, but I don't ask for them because I don't know what they are? And I end up annoyed feeling like "Hello? Why do I come here for? Aren't you the doc? "

I'm with who I am with not because I looooove her but because she's nice, she's willing to try, and she's certainly more courteous than certain male docs I experienced in the past.

She's mostly the best of the lot that I've found so far and I have to have care in the meanwhile even while I'm still looking.

Just annoyed it is the best care I can manage for now rather than the best care I could have!

I'm not sure all doctors are up on the BCP like they could be because if the PCOS patients wants it, you have to choose BCP wisely. The OB-GYNs might be better versed in BCP. But then the OB-GYNs are as up on the other endocrine issues of PCOS.

Like I said, depending on your age and stage and life goals (ex: get pregnant vs not get pregnant) your treatment will vary. And what type PCOSer you are? That can shape your treatment goals too. I think it's better to be informed and assertive and if you have to become the patient from ****, you become the patient from ****! LOL.

But on the flip side, it's tiring. And mostly you just want answers without having to fight so hard for them. Sigh.

So hang in there. Baby step progress is still progress, right? You know more now than you did and that's def a plus!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-27-2012 at 10:42 AM.