Pcos/Mood/Belly Fat

• I'm pretty new to this forum and I was just looking for a little more insight/help. I was just diagnosed with PCOS recently (about 6 months ago) but I've battled with being overweight for pretty much my entire life (once puberty hit).
    I was just wondering if anyone else here has had success with a certain type of diet in conjunction with PCOS. I've been sticking to a 1200 calorie diet for about a week now, but I was wondering if may calories isn't all that I should be watching.
    I was also wondering if anyone else who has PCOS has had weird mood swings or emotional problems. I know this forum is about weight loss so this probably isn't the place, but I was just wondering.

Thanks ahead of time!
  • For me, it's not only calorie counting, but also watching my carbs.

If I stick to moderate low carb and my carbs come from fruits and vegetables, I do really well. The issue is when I stick cookies, pasta, and other refined carbs (sweets, etc.) into my diet.

I would watch your protein/carb/fat intake and see if that affects your weight loss abilities.

But also have the expectation that this may be a slow process for you until you find the right combination and you shouldn't give up just because you lose slowly.

I lose about 10 lbs a year.
  • I was a lot moodier earlier in the dx. I don't know how much of that was from PCOS and the crazy period hormones, the IR and the crazy blood sugar, or hypothyroid and the crazy hormones from that. Maybe all the above!

The moody chills out considerably for me on birth control pills. But I don't want to be on that all my life so I have to rethink my PCOS management after DH has a vasectomy.

For me I was leanest as a vegetarian eating around 1800 calories per day. But I had weak iron and hi tri's from all the starchy carbs.

As a flexitarian that's more along a 40% carb 30% protein 30% fat breakout, my iron is fine and the tri's are fine, but my B12 and D3 are weak. I take vitamins for that. There's a bunch on supplements and meds in Mary's PCOS faq

If you are looking for nutrition guidelines... here are some as exchanges. . And here is another.

Given that we come in at least 5 types of PCOS patients, I'm pretty sure there isn't a "one size fits all" eating plan.

It's going to take YOU taking notes on what makes YOU feel better for the type of PCOS you have.

GL!
    A.
  • Thank you both for the feedback!
    It seems like that's the way it is for every person who suffers from PCOS. It's just a slower process with much more notice to take of your body. I will certainly try to watch my carb/fat intake as well.
  • I've had suprisingly good success with Weight Watchers. I'm a vegetarian so high protein diets like Atkins are far too restrictive for me to be comfortable following. When I'm on plan I usually lose anywhere from 1-3lbs a week, but I know that rate of weight loss is difficult for a lot of women with PCOS.
  • hello all.. I just joined this forum and am loving it! need the support and help. Been diagnosed with PCOS since jan 2009. I have never been overweight as such...but yes since 2009 i have been battling belly fat...And the mood swings..well my Hubbie thinks am impossible to deal with...and my family thinks PCOS is not a big deal at all! so much for support!