PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/198/130

Default The Dreaded PCOS Belly?

Hi Everyone,
I have a big belly, no actually, it's huge. And this isn't just me being insecure, I have often been mistaken for being pregnant. My tummy is very out of sync with the rest of my body, and often it makes me sad. Finding pants that fit, ugh, nightmare. I know the grass is always greener elsewhere, but I wish my fat was concentrated somewhere else so I wouldn't feel like I'm walking around with a beach ball strapped on.

I'm walking 4 -5x a week for an hour. Also started using kettlebells 3x a week. Eating clean whenever possible, and on birth control to regulate periods.

So, just wanted to see if anyone can relate. Also, if you're at goal, or close to it, were you able to lose your belly fat eventually? Any belly thoughts, ideas, advice, stories welcome!

On a good note, today I weighed in under 200 lbs! I first came into the 200's at age 27, now I'm 37, so 10 years later, I've made it out. Hope I can stay out!
redbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 302/292/130

Height: 5'1"

Ahh, the ginormous belly...I feel your pain. I've just started losing, have lost inches every but my hips/belly. I sure hope I start going down there soon. Good luck to you!
devnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #3  
Julz2011

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'7''

Hello Redbutton I know how u feel. I have the same problem big stomach and love handles. I wear Kymaro body shaper, love it. They sell them in Walmart now try it and if u don't like it u can always return it. Also, I got a hula hoop on amazon, so im gana start hula hooping.
Julz2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Yep. Got one back.

But yep -- it flattens down. I miss mine and hopefully will get it BACK!

You are not alone there though!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 216/189/150

Height: 5'6"

Got the belly, too. I joke that I look like an apple on two toothpicks. Or, at least, I did. It took a while, but I'm finally starting to see a drop in inches. It will definitely be the last to go.
gsb126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 224.2/224.2/150

Height: 5' 7"

Oh my gosh....I feel your pain! I've been asked 3x if I'm pregnant and one of those times I was in a swimsuit...great! My legs look like they belong to a size 8 woman but my middle is a 14-16. I hate it as well...so hard to shop.. I just want for my whole body to "match".
Soon2BSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:03 AM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Another belly here!

My advice...keep as much of your carb sources in the non-starchy vegetable and fruit family, really low on the carbs from legumes, grains and starchy veg. Also, Pilates and planks. My belly's not gone and highly resistant to change, but I've dropped several sizes. Waist measurement was the last to budge.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 236/198/130

Thanks Ladies for sharing!

I have a bit of weight, and I am happy about it, but my tummy is huge!

I assumed I wasn't alone, but when I walk down the street and see other plus-size ladies, they seem to be plus in all the "right" places, and I get discouraged, and feel a bit unfeminine.

Oh, and I will totally look into that Kymaro shaper!

Glad to hear that the belly does come down eventually!
redbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #9  
Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 265/195/150

Height: 5'3

When I started out my waist was 52 inches. My memory has blocked out what my belly circumference was because it was so astonishingly huge... but I'd imagine it was about 55. I was often offered seats on the subway by people who thought I was pregnant. I was asked when I was due. Little kids taunted me and called me fatty mc fatty pants. Woohoo. Lots of fun memories! :P

Now my waist is 38. I'd like to get it to 28, but for now 38 is not as horrific. Basically to get your mid section down you need to cut way back on the carbs and do lots of cardio (1 hour per day 5-6 days per week). It's just a matter of controlling that pesky insulin and keeping it way, way down. If you stick to that for a consistent period of time, your belly WILL eventually melt off. It's overwhelming at first, but when you start seeing changes, it inspires you to keep going. (Also, doing ab exercises will help to pull everything in tighter)
keekles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #10  

Keekles: Only 55? Lucky one you are, lol. Mine is so big that a 60 inch tape won't fit around. I estimate 64 inches. *shudders*

How 'down' does it have to be? My blood glucose is on the low end of perfect, dunno how good an indicator that is...? I also have two, maybe three servings of grains a day, depending on the day (whole grain pasta, brown rice, occasionally whole grain bread). Is that too much? Can't imagine life without *some* grains, lol.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #11  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Maybe we need the PCOS belly shrinkin' thread.
I'm at 47.5 inches.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-23-2011 at 05:48 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #12  
chubby punk

S/C/G: tick..tick...boom

Height: 5'5"

So many people have made comments about me being pregnant - from family members to strangers on the street. I dont mind, sometimes people give up their seat on the train for me

I've read that restricting carbs are the key to shifting stomach fat, but I'll be happy to just be smaller in general. I love beans and pasta, I'm a vegetarian, let me keep my carbs!
LaurenBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

I think the PCOS belly will go away once you lose weight. I was around 120's most of my life, and had a flat belly. The only time I got the belly was when I had to take corticosteroids and shot up to the 160's. Now that I am off it, my belly has gone in a bit. Its more like a roll now when I sit down but hardly noticeable when I am standing or lying down.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #14  
Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 265/195/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnet View Post
Keekles: Only 55? Lucky one you are, lol. Mine is so big that a 60 inch tape won't fit around. I estimate 64 inches. *shudders*

How 'down' does it have to be? My blood glucose is on the low end of perfect, dunno how good an indicator that is...? I also have two, maybe three servings of grains a day, depending on the day (whole grain pasta, brown rice, occasionally whole grain bread). Is that too much? Can't imagine life without *some* grains, lol.

Mine might have been nearly that big, I just can't remember!!! If it wasn't past the end of the tape, it might have been close. Here is a pic of how big my tummy used to be that I just posted in another thread, to give you an idea.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini...goal-pics.html

As for grains, personally I cannot lose ANY weight eating grains. Even one single rice grain would probably stall me. I have given them up completely until I reach my goal. I am also very strict about dairy, it's another staller for me.
keekles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #15  

Really, no grains at all? Strict on dairy? Yeesh, poor you, Keekles. I'd go insane. I adore cheese and rice/pasta dishes. Obviously I'm more sensible about cheese nowadays, but giving it up completely would SUCK.

I was just being facetious about my own belly there, Keekles. It grosses me out and I'm going crazy waiting to lose a single inch. Even half an inch would be heaven to me, lol. Wasn't trying to make light of your situation. You look amazing in your pic, though. Congrats!