PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: IDK

Height: 5'9

Default Which BP made you lose/gain weight?

hi, my doctor is probably going to prescribe me bp pills. i've been reading that many of you gained weight while on bp but some of you also lost. so i know there are many types of bp and i wanted to know which ones are you using...if you're using them.i'm not officially diagnosed with pcos but i have many symptoms. i have my gyn in a month and i'm so scared and embarassed. i hope she won't go under there but that she will make me an ultrasound.
and thank you for any response!
missunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Levlen was definitely bad for me. I'm also not having much luck on Ortho tricyclen so I'm considering going back to a form of Loestrin.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

Nuvaring always made me gain a bunch of weight.. it is a super low-dose that doesnt control my PCOS symptoms according to the Endo.

Apparently, PCOS symptoms are best suppressed by a high-estrogen BCP. Currently I am on Zovia 1/50E, and I am losing weight on it. However I am breaking out on my face like crazy.

Nelie, I was told by my endo that tri-phasic BCP, like Ortho tricyclen, are not good for women with pcos. Dont remember why.. but apparently mono-phasic pills are the best. I think Astrophe posted an article about this a while ago. I will see if I can find it and bump it up for you.

I had good results with the patch (ortho-evra) however I could not stay on it because it started irritating my skin.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...ills-pcos.html

That may help some.

But yah, IME -- monophasic! Triphasic usually have "tri" somewhere in the name. But my PCOS bopping all around hormones need stability, not more bopping all around. So I go with Orthocyclen over Orthotricyclen any day!

GL!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-19-2011 at 04:46 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 236/198/130

Hmmm . . .
I'm a little overwhelmed. I am on Sprintec (norgestimate/ethinyl estradiol). Not understanding if this is a good choice.
I have read about terrible side effects with this pill, but luckily, I haven't experienced any.
My doc did say I would gain a few pounds, but if I continued to eat right and exercise that eventually my body would adjust and I would be able to continue to lose weight. I have been on this pill for 2 months now, and have managed to lose 8 lbs. Not as fast as I am able to usually lose, but I don't mind as long as I'm able to lose at all.
Will read up more on the pill specifically for PCOS.
redbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:04 AM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Sprintec is the generic for Orthocyclen. I've taken that too.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: IDK

Height: 5'9

thank you for your answers. honestly i've never heard of any of these pills. i know only of diane and feminelle and another name i can't remember. i think every country has different types and names.
astrophe thanks for that link. i think it's gonna be very useful .
missunshine is offline   Reply With Quote