PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:05 AM   #16  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

People suffering from type 2 and PCOS benefit greatly from a reduced carbohydrate higher protein diet..for example..south beach or atkins..these are both decent programs to try..you can acquire most of the information through buying the book or reading up online..just use google as an information resource for everything you need to know about whatever diet you choose..
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #17  

Dee,

I was told low carb + metformin. It worked for a while for weight loss, but never for long and it didn't get rid of my symptoms.

Now I've found the Eat to Live book and my symptoms are going away and my weight loss has gone through the roof. 12 pounds in 3 weeks, never hungry, eat good foods, having increased energy.

I googled High Fiber diet + pcos and found recent studies showing that a high fiber diet will help pcos symptoms and help reverse the insulin resistance. My doc NEVER told me that. I'm only sorry I didn't read his book the first time it came out, but am seriously thankful I found it now.
Rachel18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #18  
Insulin Resistant

S/C/G: 160

Height: 5.1

I have been diagnosed with PCOS too. I have changes some of habits. I started biking 15 mileas a day for 2 months and nothing happened. No weight loss despite not increasing my food intake. I have to admit that I got more toned calves. Then I injured my shoulder and had to stop riding the bike and in a single week i gaiend 5 pounds. I went to the doctor and he told me that basically is should not take carbs out of my life.

While I agree that I should decrease the amount of carbs eliminating them completely seems a little risky or awkward. I feel this new food regime takes all the pleasure or even interest I have in food. I only eat meat 2 or 3 times a week and I started eating meat more frequently and I feel totally gross.

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced the same? What could be a good strategy for a low carb regime?

He also prescribed Metformin and it upsets my stomach a little. I feel as if someone had punched my in my stomach.
villita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 300/277/199

Height: 5'1"

I have been on Metformin 1000mg 2x daily for just over 6 weeks. I am doing rather well, losing 23 pounds so far, only using the meds and diet change. I am at the point now where I am bored with food choices and have craving for sweets. I haven't changed activity level, but am in the process of changing that habit now. So far Metformin has worked for me, but I only have the IR and obesity. My endo and OBGYN said I have "chemical PCOS"... I check out perfectly fine physically, other than the weight.
gapchic400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

I have always been able to lose more weight with Metformin than not. I am finding that the case even though I have had weight loss surgery and rededicated myself to the PCOS Diet: low carbs/refined sugars, processed foods, and higher lean proteins. I'm exercising, 3-4 days a week (45 minutes - an hour at a time), also, and I'm not losing weight since the metformin was stopped.

I'm a little discouraged since I never tolerated regular metformin (the extended release tablet worked better for me), but maybe now that I'm trying to eat healthier, I could tolerate it better.

Any advise on natural alternatives to metformin?

Last edited by kyalpn; 09-20-2011 at 12:08 PM.
kyalpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by villita09 View Post
While I agree that I should decrease the amount of carbs eliminating them completely seems a little risky or awkward. I feel this new food regime takes all the pleasure or even interest I have in food. I only eat meat 2 or 3 times a week and I started eating meat more frequently and I feel totally gross.
You should try reading, "The PCOS Diet Book" or "The PCOS Diet". It talks about how to eat the right carbs--staying away from refined/over processed carbs, and trading them for whole grains and more natural sweetners. Also pairing them with protein to help your body not run through the carbs so fast and have your blood sugars fluctuating so badly.

It seems like everything I read is about making healthy food choices and about staying away from processed foods. It's taking some getting used to for me, but I'm trying to eat brown rice instead of white. Whole grain breads instead of white. Finding natural ways to season/sweaten foods, and just trying to eat healthy and be healthy. I am also hearing and reading that metformin seems to be tolerated better when one eats better. More like a diabetic learns to adjust their eating.

It's tough, but when I think about the quality of life I have now, the quality of life I'm gonna have if things keep going...it scares me. I have to try to do something.

PCOS sux. It just does. But I am finding lots of online communities and connecting with people (like here...), and the support makes such a difference.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyalpn View Post
I have always been able to lose more weight with Metformin than not. I am finding that the case even though I have had weight loss surgery and rededicated myself to the PCOS Diet: low carbs/refined sugars, processed foods, and higher lean proteins. I'm exercising, 3-4 days a week (45 minutes - an hour at a time), also, and I'm not losing weight since the metformin was stopped.

I'm a little discouraged since I never tolerated regular metformin (the extended release tablet worked better for me), but maybe now that I'm trying to eat healthier, I could tolerate it better.

Any advise on natural alternatives to metformin?
Yes, chelated chromium is a supplemental alternative to Metformin. In Mary's PCOS FAQ, she has a study that listed the amounts where chelated (not piccolinate) chromium actually begin to have an effect on blood sugar.

I've been taking it now for almost a year and I believe it works. My doctor wanted me on Metformin but is happy to see that I've been able to lose weight without it. He knows that I am taking these supplements (I also take a bunch of other stuff).
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #23  

Unfortunately, the page is gone, but I did buy some today and can't wait to try it.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

This the site: http://pcosfaq.com/
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #25  

Oh... duh... I was looking at the FAQ therad at the top...

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #26  

Hi all. I have been on metformin for a long time in an effort to control IR type2 diabetes. I was also on insulin and other oral drugs. I did not lose any weight on it but then I did next to nothing to control my eating. I recently stopped the insulin and went to a low carb/high fat diet. Well, I don't want to call it a diet but rather a lifestyle. I know that just taking metformin alone will do nothing for me and I have to put in effort in other areas.
Ddonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:07 AM   #27  
Resident Cynic

S/C/G: 210/Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Just to throw my $0.02 in - A few months ago, my doctor and I finally decided to try Metformin to combat my insulin resistance. She said, "It's not a miracle, but it'll probably help you lose some weight."

I didn't end up having any of the sickness many folks report at all, no matter when I took it, or with whatever food (or no food at all). I felt pretty good, maybe a little less tired. I did, however, gain 16 pounds in three weeks, all the while actually eating better than I had been before I was taking the meds. I didn't change my diet drastically - I just figured I'd help the medication along by trying to cut out some junk like soda and candy. At first, I thought the extra weight might just be bloating, but as the scale kept creeping up, I panicked, and my doctor and I decided it was best to stop once we hit the three-week mark and the scale was still shooting rapidly upward.

The moment I stopped taking the pills, I stopped gaining weight. I became pretty bummed out by the "failure" and even slipped into some bad dietary habits afterward, and I've still lost a couple of those pounds since then, so I have little choice but to blame the medication.

She did say my experience was very unusual, so I guess it's just my luck!
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #28  
Doing it for myself

S/C/G: 187/177/175

Height: 5'4 1/2

I have defiantly seen some weight loss since taking it but I also have to say that I haven't been as hungry or craving sugary foods when I take it so I think that by taking the met it helps you lose weight because it helps you not to crave as much. I'm enjoying metformin and haven't had any bad side effects on it except when I took two of them to close together. But other than that it has been great.
coshun2003 is offline   Reply With Quote