PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #1  
Kittyno

S/C/G: 212/190/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Lutera for 2-3 years, now early periods?!

Hi all,
I am wondering if this may be common in women with PCOS or if it is just time for a new BC pill. I have been taking Lutera for a couple years (I think about 2.5 years now), as it is a very low dose that is necessary for me. I took Seasonique for 9 months and, in addition to being an emotional hormonal mess, my boobs grew 2 cup sizes (boo!). I need low doses of estrogen in my birth control. That being said, I have--for the past 3 months--had my period start a week early! I know Lutera is a monophasic pill so skipping sugar pills is not a big deal as far as I know, but I've even tried to just take my active pills when AF shows early, but that darn period just keeps going. Now I've decided that until my insurance kicks in I will give into my body's "desire" to have a period and just let it happen, and stop taking my active pills for 7 days, rather than "waste" active pills, if you know what I mean. I'm really not sure which is the right thing to do in this instance--stop active pills or continue taking them even when my period shows insanely early?

So excuse my ADHD version of a paragraph there, and I guess my questions are: should I go see my doctor for new birth control? (I am going in a month anyway once I get health insurance with my new job) Also, I am curious as to WHY this is happening? I am very dilligent about taking my pill at the same time every day and I NEVER miss a dose.

I did quit taking zoloft about 3-4 months ago and I did notice I had a very heavy period after initially stopping taking zoloft. I did taper down the zoloft very gradually though, and I never thought it was affecting my hormones quite that much but it does make sense now that I think about it. I am also getting quite a few new hairs on my chin, which is more than a little annoying! I assume this is somehow all connected and I suppose it just helps me to bounce my thoughts off of others who have perhaps had similar experiences. Anyone have any input here?
kittyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Talk to your doctor!

We can't know what's going on in your body, but it sounds like it's time for that check up. I'm not sure if you're doing the right thing by skipping your active pills just because you got your period.... I wouldn't have done that!!!!

Get yourself checked out, ask your doctor if the Zoloft could have affected your hormones and/or BCP and that's why this is happening now.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote