PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 12:37 AM   #1  

Post New Here would like a buddy, m

Hello, my name is Kelly. I would like to introduce myself and my situation and see if anyone is intrested in becoming a buddy of mine for support thruogh this time. My husband and I have a sno together (4 years old) and when he was 1 we decided to try to concieve again. After the birth of Kyle I stopped have periods, my weight soared and I started getting excess hair. Then the acne came and basically I was hungry all the time and just plain tired. This did have a lot of impact on my self image and basic over all mental and emotional health.
Being 18 at the time my Doctor told me to go about my Merry way and I was just fine. In the begining everyone pushed me aside and did nto take me seriously because of my age. They wondered "why have anotehr one when you are so young?". Though it was not just concieving but overall I did not feel right. I felt as if something was wrong wtih my body.
To make a very long story short. I first went through my family Doctor. He then refered me to a ob/gyn. After 5 months I was referred to another OB/GYN who specialized in infertily. After numerous tests, 2 surgeries (HSG and Laproscopy) and lots of diffrent infertility medication this Doctor woudl still brush me off when I mentioned PCOS. My husband and I were fed up wtih trying for a while. It was very hard on myself because I tried and tried to lose this weight. Though in the end I would end up gaining weight or just staying where I was at!
After a 6 months break my husband and I decided to see a reproductive endocrinologist. Thankfully on the very first visit she did a ultrasound and took all my medial records adn basically confirmed PCOS. Though I knew all along this had to be what was wrong, just hearing the confirmtation made it a little easier to process.
She has now put me on birth control pills for the month of December to level out my hormones. I also started taking Glucophage XR 500 mg. The first week I am to take 1 per day, the second week 2 per day and the third week 3 per day to get to a total of 1500mg per day. She hopes this will level out my insulin so I will be able to lose weight and excess hair will stop, acne will clear up and so on. We are going to try invitro fertilization in January or February.
These birth control pills are making me moody and tired. The Glucophage has caused me to have diarrhea (sorry graphic) and upset stomach. In the month of May-July I started Weight Watchers wtih my Aunt to lose some of this weight (before seeing RE). I lost 5 pounds in 2 months, my aunt= 20 pounds. I was very discouraged and quit the program. Tonight I got on the scale for the first time since July to see where I was at, to keep track while on Glucophage. I gained 15 pounds! Needless to say I am a little down about that at this mometn and hoping Glucophage will help me with this weight! I am 5'5 and weight 262. My goal is to start Monday and start working out on my treadmill and watching what I eat.
Sorry this is so long and I have rambled on. If anyone is intrested in being a email buddy and just being there for support that would be wonderful. Also if you can give me some feedback as to how Glucophage has been or not been helping you that would be wonderful. I want to see a glimer of hope down this long road!

Thanks in advance,
Kelly
TTC#2 for 4 years, suspect PCOS for 3 years, officially confirmed 11/2002- Right now on birth control pills and Glucophage- hoping to lose some of this weight and do invitro fertilization January of February!
Old 12-16-2002, 10:52 AM   #2  

I am sorry, I forgot my email is [email protected]
Old 12-19-2002, 07:33 AM   #3  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Try taking your gluc pills at night just before bed. I do this...no stumach upset. Sleeeeeepinnnnggg. LOL. Diarrhea is caused by first, detoxifying if you change your diet...second, foods your body doesnt like. Such as chinese, fatty foods, greasy foods, chocolate, etc.

Look into a diabetic type 2 diet plan. These are the most successful for PCOSers.

WELCOME! HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND A NEW YEAR!
Old 12-28-2002, 03:50 AM   #4  

Hey, KellyErin222, I totally understand what you are going through. I have PCOS and insulin resistance and on regular Glucophage. I am taking only 1000 mg a day. My doctor also started me on 1 pill a day for the first week and after that started taking both pills twice a day. My husband and I are also trying to conceive; it really gets quite discouraging at times. In regards to the side effects of the Glucophage side effects; I started taking it on 10/29/02 and at first, I also had diaharrea pretty bad, but, as time went on, it is not that bad. I will say, though, I still do get it; it is just not as bad as it was when I first started taking it; you get used to it (if that makes any sense) and your stomach doesn't get quite as upset as it did in the beginning. In regards to the weight loss while being on the Glucophage; well, I haven't done anything to try and lose weight, but, I just got on a scale last Sunday, and I lost around 8 lbs so far. Some other side effects that I had from it were basically some times when I would go to eat, it would make me nauseated and I also noticed that when I can eat, I cannot finish what is on my plate. In essence, it has helped a lot with the weight loss, which, I am kind of glad in that aspect since my doctor has told me numerous of times that if I lose the weight, everything would fall into place and it would be easy for me to become pregnant. Basically, my body would straighten its ownself out. I tried to shorten my story as much as I could, but, in essence, I truely know how you feel and if you need someone to talk to, we can talk. Hope to talk to you soon.

Princess
Old 12-28-2002, 01:17 PM   #5  

Hello Princess,
It is good to meet and talk with someone going through the same thing as I. I am up to 2 pills a day. Will start the 3 pills tomorrow, hopefully my body is adjusting as well as I think. The first week was a little rough, but I really have not had much side effects since. The first day I upped to 2 pills a day I had a rough time, so I am expecting a little discomfort tomorrow. Then at least I am on my 3 pills a day, which is what the Doc wanted me on.
I just finished my round of birth control pills.. (RE put me on that to level my hormones before invitro). I am expecting a menstruation here soon, at least I hope so. I do not menstruate on my own and they said the birth control pills should bring a bleeding on. Then my next step is to call the RE and tell her when menstruation started. Hopefully we would start stimulants soon after that for invitro.
I am a little scared because we are paying for this out of pocket. It is a lot of money wasted if this does not take..so I am saying many a prayers to get me through this.
How long have you been trying to concieve? Email me at [email protected] when you want to chat. I do wish you and your husband tons of luck with the trying to concieve. I hope your dream comes true very soon!
Talk soon,
Kelly
Old 12-31-2002, 04:49 PM   #6  
WW Moderator

Hi Kelly! I am glad you found a doctor to listen to you and find your problem. I had the same problem with WW. I lost 5 pounds and then just quit, then I started going in reverse and gained several pounds. I gain weight if I even SMELL potatoes! I loved the WW diet but there were too many refined carbs and I gained very easily. If you like that kind of eating style (WW), Sugar Busters is not too far from it. It is low glycemic and low fat. It is much like WW type food but you will be eating whole grains instead of refined ones. It is also close to the diabetic diets.
Also, exercise is imperative to insulin resistant individuals that are trying to lose weight!

Don't give up on the Gluc if your side effects persist. It took me 3 months to get to the full dose because I had so many stomach cramps, but I did manage to make it. Just don't rush the second dose if you are sick. Good luck!
Closed Thread