PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #1  
One day at a time!!!

S/C/G: 211/*ticker*/TBD!

Height: 5'6

Default New to this area :)

I've been lurking around on 3FC for about 2 months now but never really knew where to get started with posting... I never noticed the PCOS area until today but I am so thankful I did!

A little about me/background:

I was diagnosed with PCOS/IR in 2005 when I was 21. It was a shock for me, because I had never even heard of it at that point. The only word that stuck out to me from my doctor's explanation was "infertility." That is definitely not something any woman wants to hear in her early 20s...

I will be 27 in a month, and have struggled with my weight since I was about 19. I don't know for sure, but I think that's when my PCOS kicked in "full blown." I started going 3-4 months without getting my period and gaining the weight.

I'm 5'6.5 and currently I am 205.4lbs (at my WW meeting Saturday!). I've recently lost a few pounds (was 211) doing the HORRIBLE Slim Fast "diet."

I have lost and gained so many times I can't even keep track... when I first got diagnosed I started Metformin and dropped 30+ pounds! I was about 160, but stopped the medicine because it made me sick and gained it all back.
In August 2008 I started using Barry's Bootcamp and saw results fairly quickly. I lost about 15 pounds and was around the 180 mark................. and low and behold, found out in October that I was pregnant! Most definitely a shock! While pregnant with my son, I gained about 22 pounds and when I delivered I was at 204 lbs. I gained a lot back when my husband left me and my son.

Now I have a WONDERFUL boyfriend and we are raising our children together (my 1, his 2). He is currently deployed so I am taking this time to really focus on me...

Some of my PCOS symptoms: weight gain/trouble losing, insulin resistance, infrequent periods.

I have been taking my Metformin (1000mg) for about 2 weeks and I think it is helping regulate me and I'm really hoping it'll help me lose weight again. This time around it's NOT making me sick (thankfully!), I think because I've mostly cut out sugar from my diet.

These are the changes I'm making this time around to lose the weight:
-Weight Watchers! Started this past Saturday and I have a great feeling about it.
-Less carbs! I'm a carboholic!
-Daily workouts... doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I don't think I will be doing it on the weekend but will do it 5 days a week.
-Incorporating walking daily
-8+ glasses of water a day
-Better sleep habits!

Wow okay! I'm super chatty today! haha Hope to get to know some of you better! Thanks for reading!
linalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Welcome and good luck! I also have PCOS but can't take metformin because it makes me too ill. I focus on diet for the most part and though my loss has been super slow it's okay cuz I'm much healthier!

You did it before you can do it again- good luck!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Come and join us on the March Support Thread!

I hope the Metformin works for you and you lose the weight with it again. I think you're right that eliminating the sugars has helped with the side effects.

Good luck on your journey!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #4  
One day at a time!!!

S/C/G: 211/*ticker*/TBD!

Height: 5'6

Thanks everyone! I'm really excited to be posting around here more
linalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #5  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

WELCOME!!! great to have you here. My rl name is cassie, I have somewhat of a similar story as you do, only my "infertility" and " high risk of not having kids" came at the age of 17. I was like HOLY **** WHAT????? so yea. I hear ya, I am 21 now and finally taking the steps I need to to REALLY kick start my weight loss. I cut out all refined carbs and the few carbs I do eat come from fruit/veggies or unrefined(wheat) carbs. You can do this! Good luck on your weight loss and I can't wait to see you around the boards more!
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #6  

sounds like you have a great plan! I'm curious...you are doing WW and low carb? Do they have a program for that? I'm currently doing low carb but I had thought about doing WW for the support...
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote