PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/240/200

Height: 5'6"

Default will my metformin counteract with my birth control at all?

i was prescribed Loestrin24FE and metformin to help primarily with weight loss and with regulating my period. i wasn't sexually at the time when it was prescribed to me, so i wasn't too worried about that at all. now i'm a little bit worried, because i heard about the hyperfertility that metformin can cause... does anyone know if this will make the birth control any less effective in preventing pregnancy? i'm as 100% safe as i can be... i take my birth control the way i'm supposed to and use condoms as well, but there's still those off chances that accidents can happen like with condoms breaking and such... you never know, so i figured i would ask. i've been a little bit hesitant and afraid to take my metformin lately because i wasn't completely sure that it would effect my chances of accidentally getting pregnant.
laurenbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Never had a problem.

Though you may want to ask your pharmacist next time you see them or call the doc office.

HTH!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

I'm not a doctor, but think of it this way: if you hadn't been blessed with this glorious syndrome of PCOS, and if you were the most fertile lady in the universe, your birth control (and condoms, to boot) would still 99% effective or whatever their stats are. Metformin is not going to make you ridiculously fertile to the point that your ovaries are too strong for the BC pill to handle, especially with PCOS. I really wouldn't worry about it, but if you want some confirmation, talk to your doctor.

I've been sexually active the whole time I've been on Met & BC pills, don't use condoms (same boyfriend) and it's never been an issue. But everyone is different.

I also like that you used the word "hyperfertility" because I've never heard that used with Metformin, but gosh I wish it were true, cuz someday I'd like to get pregnant.

Good luck!

Last edited by snoozlebug; 02-07-2011 at 12:54 AM.
snoozlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/240/200

Height: 5'6"

hahah! - i thought of it that way, too, snoozlebug, i just wasn't entirely sure! i tried to explain that to my boyfriend, that even without the meds and condoms i'd be less likely of getting pregnant, but you know...
laurenbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

The function of metformin has nothing to do with the function of birth control. Birth control (most) stop your body from ovulating with the addition of the hormones you are taking.

Metformin helps to control the amount of sugar in your blood. It decreases the amount of glucose you absorb from your food and the amount of glucose made by your liver. Metformin also increases your body's response to insulin, basically making your cells more sensitive to insulin so your body won't produce as much

So no worries

Last edited by beerab; 02-07-2011 at 05:08 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote