3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Dieting with Obstacles > PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support

PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Poll: What type PCOS patient are you?

View Poll Results: What type patient are you?
traditional PCOS -- anovulatory, increased androgens, no insulin resistance 51 19.39%
syndrome X -- anovulatory, increased androgens, insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes 69 26.24%
non-traditional PCOS --anovulatory, normal androgens, obese, insulin resistant or type 2 diabetes 39 14.83%
non-traditional PCOS -- ovulatory, increased androgens, mild insulin resistance 48 18.25%
idiopathic hirsutism -- ovulatory, increased androgens, no insulin resistance 9 3.42%
Not sure -- but think I have PCOS or IR 26 9.89%
Don't have PCOS. I am Insulin Resistance (pre-diabetes) 8 3.04%
Other (What is it?) 13 4.94%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #46

S/C/G: 235/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Default So THAT'S what's been wrong with me all these years!

I have two daughters-in-law, both of whom have struggled with what they call PCOS. I looked it up to see what that was, and you could have knocked me over with a feather. But in the late 60's, 70's and 80's, there was no formal diagnosis of what had been wrong with me.

In a nutshell, terrible acne, anovulatory, irregular or no periods, hair on my face (I shave daily), obesity and trouble losing weight, and my hair today is thinning with male pattern baldness.

It was a miracle that I got pregnant. (Our other son is adopted). If only there had been a recognition of this syndrome when I was 13, I could have avoided the awful diets, the self loathing, the embarrassment at not menstruating. I used to make up a week every month when I would tell the PE teacher I had my period. And then I would really get a period that soaked through my clothes no matter how much "feminine protection" I wore. Didn't feel very feminine. And the zits! My hair started thinning at 19, which by then had seen me through several cycles of Weight Watchers, weight loss counseling, and 237 bottles of Neutrogena.

Anyway, I realize I have some healing to do, emotionally, and perhaps there is help for the PCOS I still experience, aka adult acne and insulin resistance. I'm hoping to find some answers here.

I should mention that I've been on the LCHF plan of eating, and feel better than ever in my life; and I've come to accept myself as insulin resistant and carb sensitive and ready to leave behind grains, sugars, breads, and other high carb foods. On LCHF, I have no cravings, and after just 2 weeks, I can feel my energy level zooming back. Just had a Thanksgiving dinner with family, and had no interest in rolls, birthday cake, potatoes, etc. I made sure I had the food I could eat and didn't miss anything.

I'm a newbie here, and open to learning. Thanks for listening. I hope I can be in service to others with my posts at some point.

Last edited by MeowSpace : 11-28-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Auto correct error and additional info.
MeowSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:05 PM   #47

S/C/G: 230/230/175

Height: 5'4"

I have had pros for 10 yrs
I didn't know there were types
all I know is my sugar is high but not diabetic I'm losing my hair on my head and growing it everywhere else
I'm curious to know which type I have now
Desper8lyseekinskiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #48

S/C/G: 220/195/150

Height: 5'3"

I'm curious how to know which type I am, since I have no clue what the symptoms mean exactly. Without birth control, I have 3 or 4 periods a year, about 2 weeks each - no cramps if that's relevant. High testosterone, not diabetic. So traditional?
Melarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:20 PM   #49

Wow! I had no idea there were so many types of PCOS. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 14 or 15 years ago. I was told by my OBGYN at the time that I had a 'classic case of PCOS' and I never knew it could take on so many forms until I started to do my own research, but even this is something I've never read.

I would classify myself as non-traditional PCOS or quite possibly Syndrome X.
CrumbsTrueAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #50
Gotta Lose to Win

S/C/G: 200/198/130

Height: 5'6

Not sure what I am but my blood work always comes back within normal range but I have weight gain problems and cysts on my ovaries and dont ovulate for 6 months at a time now....
kimicat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #51
Stubborn

S/C/G: 195/1175/145

Height: 5'5"

I'm semi-ovulatory with poly-cystic ovaries, high androgens and borderline diabetes. I have regular(ish) cycles but I don't always ovulate. I also have hypothyroidism and some kind of adrenal gland issue. woot

Last edited by Number8 : 07-05-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.