PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 04:17 PM   #1  

Default PCOS & Ortho Tricyclen

I am being treated with Ortho Trycyclen (birth control pill). I tried to glucophage, but my stomach could not tolerate it. Is anyone else on Ortho-Trycyclen? If so, how is it working for you. My doctor had me on Yasmin but it did not make a difference - I think because it is a lower dosage pill.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Tri-phasic pills are bad news for PCOS. The level of hormone is constantly changing, where it needs to be strictly controlled. I only have good luck on monophasic pills.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:41 AM   #3  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Yes, triphasic pills are a no no for PCOSers. What happens is the hormones are not consistant and can tend to be low. It feeds the follies but not enough to release of course and then it can turn into cysts. It also can increase the size of ovaries.

Monophasic pills are the way to go. Even the patch is ok becuase it is one consistant dose. Diane35 I hear is good for PCOSers. As Im sure you are aware, BCP do not treat PCOS only some of the symptoms (cysts, lining, possibly some excess hair issues, acne). Its kind of pointless to take it in my opinion when you can take provera to get rid of the lining as a temp medication.

Have you tried GlucophageXR? This drug is WAY better then regular gluc/met. I take my 2000mg GlucXR right before I lay my head on the pillow at night with a glass of milk and have no stumach symptoms at all. If there are any symptoms, Im asleep. I do tend to get diahrea when I eat poorly of course. But anyway, make the switch to XR and you will thank us.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:24 AM   #4  
WW Moderator

Torri, did you ask for Glucophage XR? That was a huge difference for me. Regular Glucophage tore me inside out, but the XR was manageable. I had to take each pill for a month before I could add one on, but now I have so side effects anymore.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:14 AM   #5  

Torri

I am also on Ortho, I was on Yasmin, but I switched back to ortho after 2 mnths. I really can't tell a difference with either one. I am now having regular periods, which I didn't have w/o birth control. I don't take glucophage yet. I think I have mild PCOS because I don't have any other symtoms like facial hair, acne, etc....
Closed Thread