PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 06:12 PM   #1  
a brave new me...

Unhappy Help!

I usually participate on the Alternachicks forum for general weight loss... but here I am after my lab work returned from the ob/gyn. I originally went to see her because of infertility problems. The nurse told me my lab tests had some indicators for PCOS. Here are my symptoms:

High DHEA's
Normal but on high end for testosterone
High cholesteral
infertility (ttc for 10 months)
obesity (ongoing weight problems)
depression (on and off for most of my teen/adult life)
mood swings
tiredness and lethargy
acne
facial hair & excess body hair (have to shave my legs EVERY day)
untimely cramping during month
PMS (not sure if this is a symptom or not)
lightheadedness & shakiness if don't eat for 4 or so hours
crave carbohydrates

The strange thing is I get my period every month and my charting seems to indicate that I am ovulating. Does this make sense? They are going to put me on that glucophage... does this seem like the right way to go? I'm very confused but desperate to address these problems.

And a couple more things... what the heck is a skin tag? And is malasma the same as the skin discolorations that are indicative of PCOS? I have malasma too.

Last edited by Sojourner; 10-28-2002 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:16 PM   #2  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Skin tags are those little lumps of excess skin. Usually in "chaffing" areas such as Neck, armpits, inner thighs, etc. They are usually the same color as your skin or a hair darker.

Malasma and AN is not the same thing. One is caused by IR, the other by hormone issues temporarily such as bcp's, giving birth, etc.

I think gluc is a very smart way to go. Its a preventative measure of worsening the PCOS and possibly developing diabetes, heart disease , etc. It is NOT an infertility medication and its important to know that. Its a treatment medication that treats PCOS thus treating the infertility. This is a drug that youshould talk to doc about being on for the rest of your life to PREVENT PCOS from worsening. As it worsens and ages, the symptoms andhealth concerns become greater.

Yes, it is entirely possible to be completely regular and ovulating and still have PCOS.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:54 AM   #3  
WW Moderator

Hi Sojo! Did they prescribe Gluc or Gluc XR? This will probably give you some results. Maybe you can lose weight easier with it.
Pooky, a member who posts here and on Low Carb, is also ttc and is seeing some improvement with fertility since taking meds and dieting. I hope the same happens for you!
Old 10-28-2002, 01:21 PM   #4  
a brave new me...

I am taking plain old metformin. What kind of changes can I expect while taking this medicine? How long does it take to see improvements? So far so good with very few side effects... I am already up to the full three pills a day after less than a week with only minor stomach irritation. My appetite does seem to be suppressed on this medicine... which is great. I am really hoping to see some improvements in my battle with weight loss.
Old 11-01-2002, 12:53 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

Sojo, that is great that you got up to 3 pills already! It is taking me a very long time to get there, I have a really senstitive stomach. Tomorrow I officially start 3 pills.

About your question, are you wanting to know how long until you see improvements in your side effects? For me some got better, some stayed the same. I didn't see a change in anything though until I cut down my carbs. My skin cleared up some about 30-60 days later, that was the easiest, then stray hairs have seemed to come in much slower, my AN has faded a bit, but that is all so far. I hope as I lose weight and get my IR in more control, that the symptoms will decrease more.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:11 PM   #6  

Default Re: Help!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sojourner
High DHEA's
Normal but on high end for testosterone
High cholesteral
infertility (ttc for 10 months)
obesity (ongoing weight problems)
depression (on and off for most of my teen/adult life)
mood swings
tiredness and lethargy
acne
facial hair & excess body hair (have to shave my legs EVERY day)
untimely cramping during month
PMS (not sure if this is a symptom or not)
lightheadedness & shakiness if don't eat for 4 or so hours
crave carbohydrates

The strange thing is I get my period every month and my charting seems to indicate that I am ovulating. Does this make sense? They are going to put me on that glucophage... does this seem like the right way to go? I'm very confused but desperate to address these problems.

Hi there! Gluc does sound like the way to go! :-) I had many of the same symptoms....except I have been TTC for 3 years now and have had regular cycles/ovulation during that time. So....its different for everyone.
I have been on the glucophage for 3 months now and feel better then I have in a LONG time! I haven't lost weight but I started seeing REAL differences in my body at about the 4 week mark.
These include more hair on my head (I am growing back a widows peak!), a LOT less hair everywhere else (some places, its disappeared altogether!), less hunger 90% of the time, NO cramping (first time EVER! usually I have it really severly), my face is almost clear (another first ever!), and my mental status is definitely improved (I am prone to depression and another mental disorder and both have been way easier to control!).

Hope that helps. :-)
With smiles,
Rebecca

32 ttc for 3 years, gluc xr 500mg, baby asa
Closed Thread