PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 09:09 AM   #1  

Default Endo wanted diet drugs instead of Gluc

I went to my long awaited appointment with the Endocrinologist and after chatting about the insulin resistance (when he did mention Glucophage briefly) and my inability to lose weight on WW, he told me my options were Meridia or Xenical and he explained to me how they worked. He told me those would be my best bets. I then asked him about the Glucophage and he said, "Well, if you want to treat the underlying cause..." Isn't that the whole point to treat the underlying cause, not just the symptom?!!!
I was less than happy with this man to say the least. So then he gave me 3 options (now he included the Glucophage) and I chose the Glucophage XR - since that was what I went to him for in the first place!! Then as I was leaving he told me that it would help my high triglyceride problem too - giving me a double benefit.
That seems to me to be more important - having my body work well, rather than curbing my appetite and raising my satiety level with the Meridia or blocking fat absorption with Xenical.
And I did tell him that over-eating and high fat are not my problems - contrary to what most think about overweight people!
So I start the Glucophage next week (I'm sick now with a cold/cough thing and I want to wait until I'm better to introduce something new into my system.
Wish me luck!!!
Veggie (sitting here wishing my HMO had more than one endocrinologist on it!!)
Old 10-10-2002, 10:20 AM   #2  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Wow, what an idiot! DUH! LOL. Good for you for standing up to him!
Old 10-10-2002, 12:28 PM   #3  

Oh my, doesn't cease to amaze me how stupid some doctors are. Glad to see someone else being proactive when dealing with docs. Sometimes I swear I learn more from the internet and personal experiences of others than from the medical profession!
Closed Thread