PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 03:10 AM   #16  

Good Lord!!! What's going on here?????

Well, to throw my 2 cents in----i believe that PCOS is a syndrome not a disease. It can contribute to diseases. Basically, electra, you need to have some kinda something so you will have a period every month. If you don't shed your lining it can lead to endometrios and endometrial cancer. That's it in a nutshell.

AS A HEALTHCARE WORKER---It is very hard to diagnose these things. Basically--you toss everything in the basket, test for everything and eliminate symptoms and signs until you find the right disease, disorder, syndrome.

I'm also a Registered Polysomnographic Technologist----(sleep disorders)--What exactly did the sleep disorder center tell you have??? Fibromyalgia is a sleep disorder as well as about 100 others.

I respect your opinion and your research. That's my 2 cents, that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee

debyj
Old 09-12-2002, 07:08 AM   #17  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Most sleeping disorders with PCOSers tend to be

Restless Limb Syndrome, where your limbs wont allow you to sleep because they are so aggrevated.

Frequent waking up for no apparent reason

Frequent bathroom trips usually contributed to bladder disorders, yeast infections or UTI's.

Not able to sleep longer then a certain amount of hours.

Very light sleepers. Everything brings you out of REM.

Lack of REM sleep time. I hear youre supposed to have at least 3 hours of REM? Not sure but PCOSers tend to wake out of REM sooner then recommended.

I shouldnt limit this to PCOSers, its actually IR patients. It has to do with whats going on inside our bodies.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:31 AM   #18  

Default Sleep Disorder Info for Jenniffer

Thanks HS…and Deby J (and, I wish I knew what was going on here. Apparently, I caused a commotion, by mulling over some thoughts I had.)

AND for those of you have mentioned it, I am being treated with Yasmin to try and have a period. Believe me, I know I need to have one after 12 months of not!

Jenniffer, here is some info on my sleep disorder. There are lots of different ones, however.

I have an upper airway restriction that has gotten worse as I have gotten older and fatter. (yes weight plays a role in this) The way your jaw and neck are shaped are also significant risk factors.

My obstruction is similar to Obstructive Sleep Apnea in that I stop breathing when I sleep. However, in true Apnea, a patient loses a significant amount of oxygen in the process because they don't wake up when their airway closes. I was fortunate in that I woke up frequently.

What it feels like:
If you have ever stayed up all night cramming for an exam or partying, then the way you felt the next day is similar to what you feel like with a sleep disorder. It can also be compared to having the flu in that you are achy and tired and feel run down.

For me, I snored terribly and tossed and turned all night. When I woke up, my body would ache and I would feel as if I have run a marathon. I never remembered my dreams (because I wasn't having any) and I generally felt as if I had been hit by a truck. I had a sore throat every morning and I caught EVERY cold that went around (I haven't had a cold or flu in two years now!). I developed some depression. I sweat all night. I had no interest in sex. And I was SO TIRED all the time and had no idea why! Because I thought I had FMS, I attributed everything to that.

Here's an official list of symptoms from Sleep Quest:

Fatigue and tiredness during the day.
* Loud snoring; if the loud snoring is repeatedly punctuated by brief periods of silence or choking sounds, the individual is certain to have obstructive sleep apnea.

Other common features are:
* Obesity
* Small jaw, thick neck
* High blood pressure
* Restless sleep; the repeated struggle to breath can be associated with a great deal of movement.
* Depressed mood and/or irritability
* Reduced sex drive and impotence
* Snorting, gasping, choking during sleep

Not as commonly reported but may be present:
* Feeling that sleep is strangely unrefreshing
* Difficulty concentrating
* A dry mouth upon awakening
* Excessive perspiration during sleep
* Heartburn
* Rapid weight gain
* Morning headaches
* Change in personality
* Memory lapses
* Intellectual deterioration
* Frequent nocturnal urination (nocturia)
* Confusion and severe grogginess upon awakening
* Specially in young children, large tonsils and adenoids. There may be chest retraction during sleep (the sternum and the spaces between ribs pull unnaturally inward when trying to inhale)

You can have a sleep study done where they hook you up to a million electrodes and monitor your sleep patterns, movement, breathing etc. It's pretty interesting

Here's a good link for ya…

http://www.cpapman.com/disorder.htm

Betty

Last edited by Electrawoman; 09-12-2002 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:10 PM   #19  

HI Betty---You being treated with CPAP?? It seems you are very well informed---Can you come work at my Sleep Lab??

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 15 years ago---I'd never even heard of it. I had 4 or 5 doctors say, no you don't have it. Finally, after years of trying to get pregnant----I was diagnosed. But, i have a period every month and i still can't get PG! Soo, it's all those damn hormones if ya ask me!!

Debyj
Old 09-12-2002, 10:19 PM   #20  
WW Moderator

When I go to sleep, I sometimes feel like I can't get all the way to sleep because as soon as I drift off, it feels like I quit breathing, and I wake up and take a deep breath. Sometimes right after falling asleep I also wake up and gasp. When this happens, I can usually fall asleep better on my side. I rarely notice it later at night, but I do wake up 2-3 times a night to use the bathroom. Getting up might be subconscious habits though, because I always check on my son right before or right after. I snore, but according to Rob, not as bad as I used to. I think

I do sweat at night. I never feel it on me, but when I wake up I feel like I have been sweating in the past.

Can the lack of deep sleep cause various weird chest pains? Betty, was it you that mentioned chest pains earlier? So far doctors cannot find the source of my chest pain. Treadmill was good, endoscope was good, ct-scan was good, but I still have odd pains around and behind my left breast. Also have pressure from time to time in upper chest. I was supposed to get checked again from cardiologist, but they called and rescheduled AGAIN!

What kind of doctor do I need to see to get referred to our sleep clinic?
Old 09-12-2002, 11:33 PM   #21  

Hi Jennifer---you probably have sleep apnea--It's probably better now cause you are losing weight. The chest pains could be reflux. Even though you don't have heartburn, it can cause really bad pains. I've also noticed that on a low carb diet, you can really get some good heartburn, gastritis going, cause you don't have any starches to soak up the acids. I got reallllyyyyy sick from low carbing from just that. That's why i'm doing the low glycemic index diet instead. If you are c/o excessive daytime sleepiness and wake up gasping, you probably need a sleep study. They can also check your heart while you are sleeping. Hope this helps---debyj
Old 09-13-2002, 07:16 AM   #22  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Jen could be several things.

Heart disorder/disease (common side effect of PCOS over time) so force them to take you seriously! Do not allow them to rescedule you! Too important.

Lung Collapsing or increased lung pressure. I get this after swimming or laying down a lot (usually when Im sick). It hurts really bad when I inhale for about 2 days after swimming. I informed the doc and he said its because that perticular lung is a "secondary" lung and when swimming/laying down it causes it to become equalized with the other thus causing pain because its not used to being equalized. The primary lung will take in more air when you inhale than the secondary. Thus causing it to be "stronger" and used to the pressure. My right lung is the secondary one.

Lastly, heart burn as mentioned or reflux acid which burns the esophagus (sp?)
Old 09-13-2002, 07:54 AM   #23  

Jennifer--You can get a referral from your regular doctor---debyj
Old 09-13-2002, 11:50 AM   #24  

Default Chest pains

Man, am I glad the tone of this post is changing! ha ha

Anyway, yes I had some chest pains but it was never confirmed whether they were caused by the apnea. But I had an EKG and my heart was fine and I haven't had any since.

DebyJ, I will come to work in your center, if you get me a discount on CPAP supplies! ha ha (I am going crazy trying to find a new mask because mine is leaking and I can't afford a new one right now)

Anyway, Jenniffer, if you tell your doc that you want to be tested, I am sure they will give you a referral. Insurance will probably pay for most of it.

B
Old 09-13-2002, 03:45 PM   #25  

Hello - I hope you don't mind me sticking my nose in here but I too am confused...

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 1998 by a gynaecologist after having a blood test and a scan of my ovaries which showed multiple cysts. I was put on a birth control pill but after my husband had a vasectomy I went back to my GP earlier this year who told me that it was up to me if I wanted to continue to be on the pill - she didn't see much point as the pill will actually give me a 'withdrawal bleed' not a 'proper' period. I am actually ovulating about 3/4 times a year. She said that I was at marginally higher risk of 'reproductive system' cancers but I was not likely to suffer from brittle bones when I get older!! I am a little baffled and would be grateful if you think I should be on the pill... any advice would be gratefully accepted. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:34 PM   #26  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

The pill does little. It ONLY helps with menses, acne maybe, reducing cysts in size/numbers and ovary size. It is NOT a treatment for PCOS. Glucophage IS a treatment for PCOS and will help with menses.

Also, how do you know you are ovulating 3 to 4 times a year? The only 100% sure way is by taking a progesterone test every month. You can have a menses without ovulation, which is quite common in PCOSers. This is the reason we tend to get cysts. The folly grows but never reaches maturity. It continues to be lightly fed and doesnt die out. It then becomes a cysts: a dead egg. Gluc will help wit this as well. Gluc is known for helping to normalize PCOS and should be taken for the rest of your life.
Closed Thread