PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 02:24 PM   #1  

Wink What's the Best BCP for Increasing Libido?

My doc gave me Yasmin but I found that my libido has decreased. Does anyone know if there any BCPs that can help increase desire?

Betty

Last edited by Electrawoman; 09-06-2002 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:41 PM   #2  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

How about trying GlucophageXR. This is an actual TREATMENT for PCOS and helps to normalize the body. Thereby, offsetting the lack of.

If you need BCP for birthcontrol, shinking cysts/ovaries, or shedding precancorus cells, check out the patch or Diane35. I hear these are good for PCOSers. Just whatever you do, dont take triphasic pills. This can add to yoru problems.

Otherwise, if you are doing it for PCOS only, try an alternative. BCP's do not treat like gluc does. Provera can give you a menses and its temporary instead of in the system all the time. This way you can use it until gluc kicks in should you decide to take it.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:09 PM   #3  

That's what I want to do, but my doctor gave me BCP instead. But, I think she is just waiting for more test results to proceed further.
Old 09-08-2002, 01:26 AM   #4  
WW Moderator

What exactly are triphasics? Some of my BCP's back the uterus days had the word 'tri' in them...
Old 09-08-2002, 09:07 AM   #5  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Monophasics, Biphasics, Triphasics (such as OrthoTriCyclen) describe how many different doses there are in a pill pack. USUALLY these are determained by color or the physical size of the pills in one pill pack. This is of course EXCLUDING the sugar/placebo pills - which a PCOSer/DiabeticT2 shouldnt take ANYWAY! Those are for tossing daily.

Triphasics do not allow one consistant hormone level to be in the body. It fluctuates over those 3 weeks. This is what can cause more cysts, enlarged cysts or ovaries. It has to do with feeding the ovaries. YES, it prevents ovulation but MAY feed follies enough to get big enough, just not to releasing stage. So therefore, in PCOSers they tend to turn into cysts or will dry up and die off.

Whereas in Monophasics (one consistant doseage in the 3 weeks) it wont because its consistant and there is enough hormones in the drugs to help prevent follies from growing in the first place.

HTH!
Old 09-08-2002, 11:48 AM   #6  

Exclamation BCP ****

Thats right, ****. I have some similar problems. I was on BCPs from 12y.o. to 15y.o. for cysts and irregularity, when I went off of them after I started bleeding like crazy mid-month. At 22 I recognized that my health and fertility were at risk, and insisted on diagnostics for PCOS. Ialready knew I had it pretty much, but most doctors didn't want to bother about it when I was younger since the attitude at that time was that PCOS is only something to worry about if you want to get pregnant RIGHT THEN.

After the diagnosis of PCOS (still don't have insulin resistance diagnosis) my doc put me on BCPs to prevent follicle maturation. I was pretty happy with them for the first 6 months, although I did notice pain with sex that wasn't there before. I remembered the same pain from the old days of BPCs (yeah, I started a little early).

Now I have low libido compounded by stinging irritation during sex, and get this! For the last 2 months I've had spoting for a day or so if I forget my pill and double up the next day.

This month, I missed a day halfway through the hormone pills, and I began bleeding. Although I doubled up and had no slips after, I continued to have a 7 day period, full on.

This is wierder still because lately on the time to bleed part of the month I have not started until the day before the next cycle begins, resulting in a 2 day cycle.

The pill I have been on is monocyclic orthocept, but I get the feeling that it is not long for my world.

Mostly I guess I was just venting, but any advice here is certainly welcome!
Old 09-08-2002, 12:07 PM   #7  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Who told you to double up if you miss a pill? Your doctor? I ask because I am sitting here in shock. This is one of the things we are taught in sex ed. If we missed pills to NOT do this. Please question your doc on this and do some research. This sounds pretty dangerous.

Also, pain-during-sex is an alert. You could have a bad yeast infection, endo, UTI, et al. Have you had a check up on this? I think you should check this out. If its a YI, it can create probs for hubby too. It is passable to him. If its nothing, then maybe switching bcp to see if that helps.

Please seek a doc consult. Too important to ignore hun.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:36 PM   #8  

My pill packet says to double, even triple up on pills if you miss one or two. (Take the one you miss, along with the new day's pill, etc.) I don't have it in front of me but I think it said not to bother and to use another form of BCP, if you miss more than two, though.

Betty
[Who really *HATES* BCPs in general]
Old 09-09-2002, 02:06 PM   #9  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Ha! Weird. I have never heard of sucha thing. Ok! Thanks for passing that along. Learn something new daily!
Old 09-09-2002, 10:25 PM   #10  
WW Moderator

Hi Betty, I am replying to your bio on the PCOS story thread. First of all, thanks for telling us something about you! It always makes it a little more comfy to know who I am talking to.

About the doctor diagnosing you PCOS..my gyn informally diagnosed me based on my symptoms, but did the whole battery of tests to confirm. I had acne on jawline, receding hairline, inability to lose anymore weight, stray hairs coming around, etc. Not all PCOSers are insulin resistant, so it is important that she do all of the hormone tests that are involved in the diagnosis. You can also have insulin resistance, but not PCOS.

If you are insulin resistant, she might want to give you Gluc or Gluc XR. I am not crazy about the pills either, but I am really better off taking them. I hope your tests give you an answer! Meanwhile, have you read the Sticky Notes in this forum? Jenniffer posted some good info!
Old 09-23-2002, 04:20 PM   #11  

you might want to consider a low dose testosterone patch. A couple of my friends swear by them. also adding some natural progesterone may help. Progestins (like the ones in BCP) are chemically similar to the drugs that are used for chemical castration of sex offenders.
Old 09-23-2002, 09:01 PM   #12  
WW Moderator

Unfortunately for most of the people with PCOS, the testosterone is what we are trying to lower. I haven't heard any problems with progesterone though. Can you get that in wild yam cream?
Old 09-23-2002, 09:36 PM   #13  
it's always something

Wild yam cream! Jennifer, don't you remember when I fell for that scam? How embarassing
Old 09-24-2002, 01:39 PM   #14  

Default Wild Yam Cream

What scam Suzanne? What happened?
Betty
Old 09-24-2002, 03:04 PM   #15  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

What she means is Wild Yam root is over all not affective.

Heres a link:
http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...s/wildyam.html

http://64.176.6.110/LebaneseDoctors/...s/WildYam.html
Closed Thread