PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:50 PM   #1  
Oneder Bound

S/C/G: 287/ticker/150ish

Height: 5'5"

Default Metformin and Spironolactone-loss of appetite

I was diagnosed with PCOS years ago but was not very proactive about it until these last couple of months. I sought a new OBGYN who is really supportive and listens to my concerns of my weight and fear of becoming diabetic if I don't get this under control. She placed me on Metformin 500mg twice a day to build my tolerance and now I am 1000mg twice a day with 25 mg of Spiro twice a day. I told her I had taken Metformin in the past and it didn't do much for me and she said it was because the dose wasn't high enough. I've told her about how the increased dose has killed my appetite although she said it was common and would eventually wear off. Two months later and I'm still having to really force food on myself (which for someone who is previously addicted to food, it's really weird).

Can anyone else relate to the loss of appetite and how do you deal with it? Everything makes me nauseous. I love cooking. It has always been my stress reliever and now I can't stand the look or smell of food. Everything now smells a thousand times stronger than it used to!

I lost 50 lbs on my own without the Metformin years ago but had gained about 20 of it back when I got TOO comfortable with carbs again and now with this Metformin I've lost another 10 in a matter of 2 months---which I'm excited about but it's not like it's from exercising and eating good foods. I want to continue to lose and I've always been into weight lifting but I have no desire (mixed with persistent nausea) to go to the gym or to do anything active. I am also a registered nurse on a unit that keeps me on my feet for 10-12 hours a day and I find I don't eat nearly as much as I should. I haven't lost much energy while I'm at work but when I'm at home and my mindset is on me rather than my patient, I'm exhausted and reside to long day naps.

Also--the GI side effects have not quite gone away yet.

Am I alone in this?
ShellydeFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Shelly, I don't have PCOS but I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 7 years ago and put on 500 mg Metformin twice a day. I did not get any bowel problems from it like some people do but I got nauseated quickly when I ate and could only eat very small portions. I quickly lost 20 lbs, which I really needed to lose, but gradually that feeling went away and I gained that weight back. I don't remember how long it took for the nausea to go away, probably a couple months. So, this seems normal to me, unless it never goes away for you.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #3  

It took me awhile to get used to it as well....the side effects can be overwhelming. I lost 35 pounds the first two months...I also would get dizzy if I bent over, but it's all cleared up now. I know you arnt diabetic but do you test your bg? Sounds like your concerned about not eating? I'm doing low carb with the odd fast day thrown in and the 'low calorie' days are fine. It keeps my bg steady...
I'm type 2 so I don't 'have' to eat . There are many diabetic's who fast to control thier bg.
I would try a little protein like nuts or plain yogurt,boiled eggs , maybe smaller snacky type foods to keep you going on those long shifts.
p.a. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:10 AM   #4  
Oneder Bound

S/C/G: 287/ticker/150ish

Height: 5'5"

I do test my BG at work and I'm fine. I've always been in the clear as far as that goes. I had a bit more appetite today which was nice but at the same time scary. I don't want to gain weight back. I wouldn't say I've lost as quickly as you both did.

I've done the small snacks to keep me going and without dips of energy but what is weird as that my cravings for carbs and sweets were supposed to be curbed with the higher dose of MEtformin but I'm noticing that when I actually do want something to eat, it's usually something carbalicious. Recently it has been soda. I've really had to make a conscious effort to not grab a soda. I was a bit better today and I had some fruit and a yogurt as well as a small salad for lunch. I'm getting better at actually eating breakfast which happens to be the time of day where my nausea is worst. I also wake up very early to get to work so finding an appetite at that time is hard enough as it is.

Thank you both for your input. It is very much appreciated!
ShellydeFlores is offline   Reply With Quote