PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 04:57 PM   #1  

Question Weight loss problems after delivery

I am new to this forum, as a matter of fact I just found it today. I came across an article in the woman day magazine a few months back and was shocked to see all the symptoms that I had similar to the ones for PCOS. I called my doctor the next day and tried to schedule and appointment to come in to be tested but the nurse called me back and said the there was not point in testing me because I don't have the "main" symptom which is problems getting pregnant.
I have 2 children. One girl is 3 and the other is 8. I have never had any problems getting pregnant, actually I have problems not getting pregnant. But I have the acne ( I am 28), bad mood problems, serious inablility to lose weight no matter what I do and very strange and inconsistant periods.
I was 145 pound when I gave birth to my first child at the age of 20. I gained exactly 40 pounds during pregnancy. At my 6 week checkup post delivery I had not lost even 1 pound. The doctor said "sometimes it takes longer for some people" (I had a c-section with my first). 4 1/2 years after my first child was born when I went it to get a pregnancy test for my second child I was still 185 pound. During my second pregnancy I gained another 40 pounds. Again, at my 6 week checkup I had not lost even 1 pound. Two years later I have yet to lose any weight. The funny thing is I don't gain it either. I only gain weight when I am pregnant. Now I am worried that I will never be able to lose the weight and I am seriously unhappy with the way I look.
Has anyone else had this kind of thing happen to them? Is this a symptom of the PCOS? Or maybe it is something completely differant and I am barking up the wrong tree. I guess I am getting desperate and grasping at straws a little at this point.
Does anyone know if this problem is associated with PCOS? My doctor has pretty much givin' up because he is absolutely clueless as to whats wrong with me. We have tried all the basic tests: hyperthyroid, hypothyroid ect but nothing so far. HELP

Last edited by fatbodyskinnymind; 06-04-2002 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2002, 08:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Default Hi Christena

You could try an endocrinologist. They are more familiar with this than most gyno's of my association.

I too had no problem getting pregnant. I was in fact trying to avoid it. The pill apparently controlled the hormones long enough to let me "accidently" ovulate and here we are, a baby. I was thrilled, but still! Get your facts straight, doc.

Anyway, I'm sorry for your trouble losing weight, it is soooo unfair. If you have tried exercise and cutting calories or fat or carbs or something and it's still not working, I'd be dead serious with my doctor that I want to know why RIGHT NOW!

Good luck to you!
Old 05-27-2002, 03:44 PM   #3  

Default Thank you

Thank you so much for the support and understanding. I have went through the past 8 years trying to excuse my inablility to lose weight without even knowing the cause of it. My family unfortunately doesn't understand because they all can lose weight just by going to the gym for a few weeks.
I absolutely am going to go see my doctor on Wednesday and if he doesn't agree to help my get to the bottom of my weight problem I am going to find someone that will. I have been overweight and unhappy long enough.

I will keep you informed

Last edited by fatbodyskinnymind; 06-04-2002 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:01 AM   #4  

I agree...I would make an appointment to see a Reproductive Endocrinologist. As long as you have more symptoms that just the weight problem, you may have PCOS.

Also, what many people don't understand, including gyno's (haven't met many I liked) is that most women who get PCOS, don't develop it until their 30's. Most women have children earlier in life. So, though you had no trouble getting pregnant, that shouldn't matter.

When I was married 2 years ago, I went through 9 months of serious infertility treatments. I was 24 yrs old. We couldn't concieve.

When I was 19 years old, I got pregnant, unplanned. I had a miscarriage in the first 2 months though.

It's worth getting checked out...but see someone who is educated with endocrine disorders. A GYN will just most likely brush you off. And it sounds to me, the nurse did a really good job of it.
Closed Thread