PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/220/199

Height: 5'7"

Red face Success with WW?

I realize all the research points to women with PCOS needing a low-carb diet to be successful in weight loss, but am wondering if anyone has had success with Weight Watchers. If you have, what kind of changes did you make to the plan, if any?

Thank you!
piratexsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:57 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Well, I followed a whole foods type calorie-counting approach, that was in no way low carb, and I had success in weight loss. I still eat about 45-50% of my calories from carbs each day. So I think that what works for everyone is highly individual, and only you can determine whether or not something works for you. I do find I have less success with REFINED carbs (white rice, white flour, white sugar), but WHOLE GRAIN carbs seem to work well for my body.

I know I didn't specifically follow weight watchers, but calorie-counting is similar to it in many respects.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #3  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratexsmile View Post
I realize all the research points to women with PCOS needing a low-carb diet to be successful in weight loss, but am wondering if anyone has had success with Weight Watchers. If you have, what kind of changes did you make to the plan, if any?

Thank you!
I had very little success with Weight Watchers. (This was before my PCOS was confirmed.) I had lost about 10 pounds on my own going from eating very poorly to eating sensibly, and then I joined WW online. From there I basically stalled for 4 months until I gave it up the online membership and went back to trying on my own. Then I went onto the South Beach Diet, and finally like Mandalinn, onto my own version of a "diet" with healthy carbs, making sure I'm not eating too many calories.

I am in no way putting the WW program down, I think the WW program is wonderful for some people, and for others it doesn't work as well. I don't doubt that I was healthier (than before dieting) on WW, I just couldn't get rid of the weight. I think if you don't want to count calories, the points system makes it very simple to track what you eat. The online tracker (with paid online WW membership) was very good, but I found their forums lacking the supportive feel that 3FC has in abundance.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #4  

I used to have success when I followed WW, but that has changed. I rejoined two weeks ago when I saw their new momentum plan. I followed it perfectly right down to veggies, dairy, exercise. I gained 4 lbs. I think my insulin resistance is just to far gone now to be able to lose that way. I started the Insulin Resistance Diet a couple of days ago and I am down 1.5 lbs so far. It's taking some getting used to, but I'm liking it so far. I just hate that I can't do ww anymore, because I had always had success with it in the past.
mommyto3 is offline   Reply With Quote