PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

Default bleeuughh...Metformin

Yesterday was the first day I took THREE pills a day (i.e. 500 each, 1500 total). I was fine yesterday but today it's been doing a number on my tummy. The weird thing is I have this urge to put something else in my stomach -- like, my stomach is cramping and I'm pooping all over the place but I have this feeling that I need to eat something to make it better...but, what? Is it just my brain being stupid, mixing up signals of hunger and distress, or is there something I should eat (something mild? sweet? NOT sweet?) that's gonna make it better? Anyone else experience this?

Good thing (I guess...) that I'm on vacation this week and not at work...

Last edited by snoozlebug; 08-12-2008 at 07:16 PM.
snoozlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

OK, in case anyone's interested, I did some googling and took 2 Immodium and the problem's solved. I'm sure many people have seen the soulcysters site but I found this thread very informative for dealing with Met symptoms!!
edit -
dang it, I don't have enough posts to put up a link. go to soulcysters.net and scroll down to the Metformin sub-forum and it's the second sticky thread - "post your tips on dealing with gluc/met side effects"
snoozlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #3  
WW Moderator

You are so funny! I love the description, and remember it quite well.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/199/150

Height: 5'2"

Gotta love the side effects of Metformin! lol I switched to the extended release and didn't have as many tummy issues.
Magz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 315/?/145

Height: 5'10

Oh hey...I take the same dosage!

I tend to take my metformin with half a meal, then eat the rest later if I feel sick...

Supposedly that side effect leaves after a while...I think my doctor is a mad woman.
ciadia is offline   Reply With Quote