PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:57 PM   #1  

Post Very unusual question about insulin resistance

I haven't seen this addressed elsewhere, so I'm gonna grab the bull by the horns and see if anyone else has this problem.

Has anyone else diagnosed with insulin resistance suffered from sexual problems? These problems actually showed up before the diagnosis, but the more research I do, the more I thing they have to be related.

I know sexuality can be a very taboo subject, so I hope I am not offending anyone.

Any feedback?
silversun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Well, as insulin resistance can disturb other hormonal balances I could definitely see the two things being related. When my hormones are more in balance (& I'm therefore thinner) I have better libido. But at times I'm not sure if it's hormonal or because I feel better about myself.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 365/345/half-marathon

Height: 5'5"

I was just diagnosed PCOS with IR and started Metformin about a month ago. I had chalked up my lack of libido to my poor self-esteem after I gained the last 100 lbs., but with each day I feel it returning on the Metformin and am THRILLED (as is my husband!). I'm not much thinner yet, just a few pounds, so I am giving the real credit to the Met and my slowly balancing hormones.

Last edited by Inconceivable; 07-31-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Inconceivable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #4  
PCOS will not control me!

S/C/G: 283/241/175

Height: 5'8"

I have had the same problem. Most of the time my libido was M.I.A. but sometimes it was live and kicking. This is probably due to the hormone imbalance. I've come to the conclusion that if I "just do it" even if I'm not in the mood, eventually I get there. If I push myself to have sex on a regular basis my libido naturally comes back. I know it isn't fair that we have to "push" ourselves to have sex, but studies have shown that it works.
JerseyGirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/142/135

Height: 5'2

I've found my drive to be MIA for quite some time - with or without taking metformin. I so very much want it back!
hopefully is offline   Reply With Quote