PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/188/130

Height: 5'2"

Exclamation New here, and byetta?

Hi everyone,
I am new today and joined because i just feel like i really need help. i have insulin resistance and have had it diagnosed for over 7 years now. i have been taking metaformin (orginally glucophage i guess?) since the beginning and it really helped - lost almost 30 pounds in 4 months or so! this was in my senior year of high school. well i continued losing weight in my first 2 years of college, about 25 more pounds. this put me at about 130 and my height is 5'2. then i proceeded over the next 5 years to gain it all back and here i am today. so i went to my doctor yesterday and since i am taking the maximum of metaformin suggested i take byetta which is an injection twice a day. i cant even imagine giving myself a shot and i dont know what to do.
anyone else take this and have any suggestions or advice?

anyways i plan to go through more threads for answers to others questions i have (and make new posts if i cant find those answers!) and also post a bio, but right now i am actually going to the gym. thanks for reading!
-Haley
roseviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

Hi Haley, one of our old moderators used to take Byetta. I watched herself inject herself, and she didn't even blink an eye. She said she couldn't feel it at all. Teeny needle right in the um... 'fat roll' is virtually painless. . I bet after you do it once, you'll not have a problem. And from what I remember, it seems a lot less scary than taking met, side effect wise.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #3  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I'm type II diabetic and injected insulin for about 5 years (will probably have to start again, too).

The needles used for injecting either insulin or Byetta are such a fine gauge that they are virtually painless. Don't know if you test your blood sugar levels with lancets and test strips on a regular basis, but if you do, rest assured that the injection pens hurt less than the BGL lancets.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote