PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:254/CW:179.8/GW:130

Height: 5'3"

Question Anyone doing "The Insulin Resistance Diet"?

I just started reading a book titled "The Insulin Resistance Diet". It sounds really interesting and I was wondering if anyone had tried it. I have PCOS and have tried doing low-carb, GI, WW, etc. This book says that it's OK to eat carbs, you are just limited to 30 grams per meal and you have to eat 7 grams protein with every 15 grams carb. I would like to know if anyone with PCOS or insulin resistance has tried it for weight loss and if they have had any luck with it.
alwe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/176/125

Height: 5' 4"

I hope you get answers soon! I've never heard of this but it sounds like me. I've done WW, low carb, calorie counts, low fat, you name it, and I keep gaining weight. What about snacks? Are you allowed any and if so, how many carbs and protein are you allowed per each snack?
thanks!
Ann
Ann1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:30 AM   #3  

You are allowed snacks. I think you can only have 32 grams carbs in a 2 hour period. You can have snacks as long as they keep the 15 g. carb/7 g. protein ratio. If you are still hungry you can have more protein. Also, most veggies don't count towards your carb count.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #4  
Writing my success story

I just checked this out from the library. I'm not carb counting but I am trying to balance my protein and carbs. It makes sense to me. I took a quiz a long time ago about the best diet for me and it said I was a balanced eater, meaning I need protein and carbs together. If I had only started eating like that sooner. . .
allabouttheskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

I've read this book, too, and didn't stick with it at first, but am incorporating alot of their principles again. Like, even though I can add 1 cup brown rice to my calorie allotment, I choose to only have 1/2 cup and then add more protein/veggies. I just feel better. Lots of good stuff in that book.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #6  

Yep, that's the diet I'm on and it's been the only thing that has worked for me.
Mikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #7  

I really do think that the book had some good principles. I'm thinking about doing it in conjunction with WW core. WW core has mostly good foods but does allow potatoes, rice, etc. If I do linking while eating those it may help. I have been doing WW flex while trying to do SBD but SBD is too strict and WW flex is too lenient. I just need to find out what works for me I guess.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #8  
Finding success on beach

Height: 5ft 9"

I also read that book, and although I am not following it exactly (I am counting WW points) I do use some of the principles of balancing my meals. I went to see a diabetic nutritionist and she taught me some great lessons! Just adding protein into each meal or snack I have has made a world of difference for me! And the thought of snacking on a tiny carton of yogurt, I thought yeah right, like that is going to do anything. Holy cow! Because of the protein, it actually makes me feel full again!! Simply adding in more veggies, protein and fiber into my diet has taken away those horrible hunger pains and sluggish feelings in the afternoon. This is the one thing that has really worked for me.
Jenskihere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #9  
And we're Off!

S/C/G: I have a ticker!

Height: 5'5"

I tried it and now that I'm serious about losing I may work it into my lawl program. It was big about linking and balancing. I remember writing notes about it... made sense to me at the time. I think I will dust the book off when I get home and revisit it tonight.
durdansgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:31 PM   #10  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

Am using this diet and really love it...It is easy for me to follow and dh is doing it with me. He is diabetic and loves it too. Am on vacation now and just really doing what I can.
angelmomma210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:13 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 310/310/150

Height: 5'7"

Hello everyone! I was diagnosed with PCOS/Insulin Resistance in August of 2006. I was blessed to get pregnant with my son 6 months later with the help of Metformin. He is now 8 months old!! Anyways, a friend and I who are both about 310 lbs are going to start the IR diet soon. I just bought the book online and have been reading it and making notes. I am glad to see that I am not in this alone! I wish luck to all u ladies and if you ever find any good recipes just let me know

Kristen
thepickerills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 384/375/250

Height: 5.5

Default I just bought the book too

it was so funny.. it just came from amazon this week..
Can't wait to hear how others are responding.
tcphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #13  

I just read it but they don't list all the foods...I'm not sure how to count mayo, condiments. I've been diagnosed with PCOS and I'm really hoping this works. Looks doable.
diabolique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 310/310/150

Height: 5'7"

Hey everyone! I started the Insulin Resistance diet today and I am so excited. I am so sick and tired of being overweight and I have read alot about this diet and it seems to work. If anyone would like to chat about anything and evrything my Myspace im is kmpladybug and yahoo is thepickerills. It is always nice to have other people doing this with you so you can provide and receive support. Good luck to everyone!!
thepickerills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 186.5/173/130

Height: 5'2"

I just bought the book yesterday and I am on chapter 6 now. So i was going to start it Tomorrow (Sunday). I hope it works. Does anyone that is doing it want to share any meal ideas? That is where I always have problems sticking to a diet. A turkey sandwich always gets so old after eating everyday for lunch.
coxfam03 is offline   Reply With Quote